Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-10-2017, 06:59 AM   #1
Mrfixxit7

Drives: FIFTY 2SS Callaway
Looking to upgrade front brakes to 6 piston

Like my title says I am looking to upgrade to 6 piston Brembos for my SS.
I know that GMPP has the SS upgrade, I am looking for other bolt on options, will the 6th gen 1LE or ZL1 calipers and rotors bolt on? If not ar there any adaptors out there that will allow them to bolt on?
Thanks,
Mrfixxit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
The 1LE is basically the same as the GMPP kit, only the GMPP is a slotted rotor. The ZL1 and/or ZL1 1LE are the same and will fit.... as a combo.

Current price for the GMPP kit is about $2300 and you get 14.6" rotor. The ZL1 is 15.35" and I'm sure new is going to be about $3000.

The Wilwood kit is $2200 and is 15"
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:43 AM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
brembo and wilwood make kits but they are all $$$ the gm brembo kit is the best priced kit out there
Old 12-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
glenB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
brembo and wilwood make kits but they are all $$$ the gm brembo kit is the best priced kit out there
say what

Wilwood $2,245.59 15"
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Bra...maro&option=SS

GM kit $2,250.00 14.6"
https://www.shopchevyparts.com/perfo...-92286463.html
Old 12-11-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
for being oem its a good priced kit for what it is and keep your oem factory
Old 12-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
glenB

Quote:
for being oem its a good priced kit for what it is and keep your oem factory
It is priced good, I was replying to the OPs request for other options. But for myself, I'd prefer the Wilwood for the slight difference in $ and get the larger rotor. I used the ZL1 assembly on my '14 SS Sedan and it made a difference in performance.

If it's strictly appearance..... meh. If it's for some mountain roads the GM kit will work, as will better pads in the 4 piston OEM. For real track days I would step up to the Wilwood, but that's MY OPINION, others may vary.

On the SS Sedans trip to the Dragon, starting on the north end at The Dragon Pitt Inn, by the time I got to Deals Gap my fronts were smoking. They hadn't faded, but they were hot. I had the HPS 5.0 pads on front & rear.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #7
kropscamaro16

haha i have ss with stock 4 pistons and oem pads and first track day i did with upgraded lines and fluid my brakes were literally on fire after the last session it was crazy but they worked just fine...bigger is better but not always needed
Old 12-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
glenB

Quote:
haha i have ss with stock 4 pistons and oem pads and first track day i did with upgraded lines and fluid my brakes were literally on fire after the last session it was crazy but they worked just fine...bigger is better but not always needed
TBH, the difference in pad size is really small and not worth the upgrade, 4 piston Vs 6, but the leverage provided by the larger rotor is.

If Baer would do for the Camaro what they've done for the Mustang... make a kit to install a larger rotor and move the stock caliper out, I would go that route
Old 12-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #10
Mrfixxit7

I know that the four piston is a good setup for the SS. But I have a supercharger and I think that upgrading to the 6 piston would be better because of the HP gain and the weight gain for the supercharger.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:40 PM   #11
Mrfixxit7

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
The 1LE is basically the same as the GMPP kit, only the GMPP is a slotted rotor. The ZL1 and/or ZL1 1LE are the same and will fit.... as a combo.

Current price for the GMPP kit is about $2300 and you get 14.6" rotor. The ZL1 is 15.35" and I'm sure new is going to be about $3000.

The Wilwood kit is $2200 and is 15"
So I can get ZL1 front rotors and calipers and they will both bolt right up to the spindle? No adaptors needed? I would prefer ZL1 over the SS 1LE due to the bigger 2 peice rotors and the calipers are a bit more heavy duty.
Old 12-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfixxit7 View Post
I know that the four piston is a good setup for the SS. But I have a supercharger and I think that upgrading to the 6 piston would be better because of the HP gain and the weight gain for the supercharger.
the stopping power will be totally up to the pads and to friction content of them. super charger or not.

however, I also agree with your mindset. the extra leverage will be good. the slightly larger pads will help with fade.

but as most are saying, the 4 pistons can effectively get the job done just the same with a good pads and fluid change.

but I admit, 6 pistons is just a standard of big brakes being badass.

most people on the forums use the stock ferodo pads, then some may switch to the z26 pads cause most complain about brake dust. (wont get into that, but to each their own)

very few, a handful of us, have used a legit autoX or track pad that actually has a crap ton of grip....because most don't know, and many aren't about that "stop on a dime and give you 9 cents back" life because brake dust will occur.

if you can swing em, go for em. the GM and wilwood kits are amazing. I can speak for both of em. I've ran wilwoods 6 pistons on the past 2 cars for over 300,000 miles with the W6A and Aero6 calipers. i'm running the 4 piston GMs right now, but have tried a few different pads as of late, and I see what the local guys have accomplished with their ZL1's and SS 1LE's braking wise....phenomenal. cant go wrong either way.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:31 PM   #13
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Take a look at this thread, it talks in details about your 1LE vs ZL1 options. The prices are much lower than what mentioned above.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=513725
Old 08-10-2020, 02:42 PM   #14
2ssANT

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfixxit7 View Post
Like my title says I am looking to upgrade to 6 piston Brembos for my SS.
I know that GMPP has the SS upgrade, I am looking for other bolt on options, will the 6th gen 1LE or ZL1 calipers and rotors bolt on? If not ar there any adaptors out there that will allow them to bolt on?
Thanks,
did you match the color with oem