Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

AWE Tuning

Old 07-15-2023, 09:50 PM   #1
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Aftermarket Brake Cooling Options

I just finished converting to SPL suspension and steering and I lost the mounting holes for the GM plastic brake cooling deflector. I have not been able to find an aftermarket brake cooling kit for our cars. Does one exist?

If no aftermarket options exist, has anyone fabricated a setup that has proven reliable that they could share some pics of? I am going to be crawling under the car tomorrow to start thinking of options for my own, but would love to riff off anyone else's designs.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 09:46 PM   #2
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Garage therapy had a brake duct kit for the Camaro, but I think they're defunct now. I haven't seen any others. You'll probably be stuck making a custom kit for it. There are kits available for other brand cars, maybe you can build off one of those? If you figure something out I'd love to see what you came up with.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 08:57 AM   #3
Shawnqa800720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
Garage therapy had a brake duct kit for the Camaro, but I think they're defunct now. I haven't seen any others. You'll probably be stuck making a custom kit for it. There are kits available for other brand cars, maybe you can build off one of those? If you figure something out I'd love to see what you came up with.

Thanks for the suggestion. They do seem to be defunct.

Some of the Subaru kits are what started me thinking of a custom kit, and there are a few folks on Ebay doing some 3D printed kits (which I don't trust enough to pay $500 for).

The main hurdle is where to set up the air intake without messing with the airflow dynamics that the Chevy Performance team clearly put a lot of effort into getting pretty dialed in. At the high speeds we see on track, I am a little worried anything I put under the chassis could cause some odd behavior. I tend to overthink things though, so this likely falls into that category

We finally have some sun here in the northeast, so I plan to get under the car today and see what is possible. If I do fab something, I'll definitely post back here.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Old 07-18-2023, 11:18 AM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
same here bro same here turner at spl said he was working on a kit but i never saw/heard anything else maybe reach out to him and see what he says
Old 07-20-2023, 10:28 PM   #5
Shawnqa800720

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
same here bro same here turner at spl said he was working on a kit but i never saw/heard anything else maybe reach out to him and see what he says

Turner is fantastic to talk to. Thanks for the suggestion - maybe a few more folks ask, they'll develop something. Assuming that since you have the SPL gear installed as well that you are not running anything for brake cooling and haven't had any significant issues?

As an update, I spoke with my local shop about helping to fabricate a duct system to cool the brakes and they suggested to stay away from it unless absolutely needed. They're concerned about messing with the aerodynamics of the car which are pretty dialed in and also pretty easy to inadvertently screw up. Short of finding a near direct replacement of the stock deflectors, they suggested trying to run without them for a bit and see how the brakes perform. I am running SRF, so little chance of significant issues. I'll be running at Palmer this Sunday and it is going to be pretty warm, so I'll report back for those who were interested and following my journey.
Old 07-22-2023, 06:50 AM   #6
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Turner is great to work with and is a friend, but I don't think he's ever going to get around to making something.

A brake duct kit is not going to affect the aerodynamics of the car.

RM Motorwerks have a brake duct kit. Looks like some guys have in stalled it and have some rubbing issues.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=605353&page=4

https://www.rmknox.com/products/bill...maro-zl1-1le-1

Before I went full SPL (except that lower front link) I had the Garage therapy duct kit and also installed one on a friends car. It worked ok but despite our best efforts there were rubbing issues with the tire and hose at full lock, and that hose has a steel wire in it. The hose became a consumable item. We ended up removing it.

Another friend installed the GT kit on his ZLE and found the hose was too small of a diameter to provide enough air, so he removed it.