Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-17-2021, 09:26 AM   #1
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Zl1 1LE Solid cradle install issue

Wasn't sure if better to post here or in the suspension / tech section.

I had a local race shop install the ZL1 1LE Solid Read Cradle bushings this week. I was super excited to get it back....until I did.

As background, the only suspension modifications I have are the GM lowering kit and SS 1LE sway bar kit installed on my 1SS since new (installed before I took the car off the lot).

After the solid cradle bushing install, the rear is sitting close to stock height, not the lowered height it should. Not sure if anyone has had a similar issue after installing the Solid Rear Cradle bushings, but any advice or thoughts would be great.

The mechanic I took it took has a great reputation and is a solid mechanic and great fabricator, but is a not a pleasant human. I've already talked to him and got what I expected - S#@T. It is why I am coming to you all - so I can have a specific thing (or things) to talk with him about, rather than a general complaint.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #2
Doc Oc

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
How long have you had it back? Might be obvious, but if the rear tires were hanging for a period of time it can take a little while for the suspension to recompress and will sit higher for a bit. Maybe everything just needs to settle.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:45 AM   #3
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Maybe check if rear springs are in correct orientation? Meaning are they rotated into the pocket of the spring pearch? Not sure on this car, but other Camaros had a definite slot.
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #4
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Doc Oc is correct, after lifting the car the sus sometimes doesn't settle immediately. But if it's after a drive it should be settled.

I do believe it's possible for the car to end up 1/16" or so higher in the rear end if you follow the included install instructions. The rear bushings seem to be about that much thicker than the actual cradle so if you install the lower ones 1st the uppers look like they would be about 1/16" from all the way in. I don't think this is an issue either way, but I put the uppers in 1st in my car.

So you can check the 4 bushings pretty easily, I'd just make sure they are pressed all the way in up front and the rear is likely to have a ~1/16" gap in the top or bottom depending on order of install.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #5
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Great replies so far.

He did state he seated the top bushings first and that they pressed in easily enough.

I thought the same on the settling. It was still high after driving it home, but it was only about 5 miles and it was really cold/wet, so I drove super gentle. I'll drive it around a bit more today and see if it settles in.

I also considered the spring orientation. Not sure if I'd be able to check that myself or if there is advice on how to check.

For further clarity, the car is sitting about .6 inches higher than it was before the install. Is there anything that could create that much of a gap if the whole cradle was dropped (which it was - he felt it was easier). He is a race builder/fabricator, but he hasn't worked on many Camaros so is there something that could have been done wrong that would have this result?

Thanks again for the feedback - keep it coming.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
Shawn if I remember correctly you're in Peabody, MA area. I'm about 40mins from Peabody. Shoot me a PM and we can try to align to look the car over if you'd like, if you don't get anywhere with the original mechanic/installer. I did my own, we can give it a once over and compare it to my install.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:39 PM   #7
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
To me it looks like those can be changed out without loosening any suspension components. But, if suspension components were removed they have to be tightened under a load, not in an unloaded state. They can end up in a bind if tightened in an unloaded state. Other than that I would just check to see if the bushings look like they are seated correctly.