Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 10-23-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Dodge Viper Production Ends in 2017

We first heard the rumors last week, and now they're confirmed: Fiat Chrysler will end production of the Dodge Viper in 2017. We'll miss you, you venemous brute.
The end of the line for the V-10 sports car was buried in the contract proposal for the next four years between Fiat Chrysler and the UAW. That contract was just ratified with 77 percent support from UAW members, Automotive News reports this morning.
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

The just-passed contract contained a detailed plan for future production, including plans to upgrade FCA's eight-speed automatic transmission. And as Automotive News reported earlier this week, the draft contract specified no new vehicle production at FCA's Conner Avenue plant in Detroit, where Vipers are built by hand by a team of roughly 80 employees.
It's a sad end for the Viper, which went into production in 1992 after wowing fans as a concept car at the North American International Auto Show in 1989. Updated in 1996, 2003, and 2008, Chrysler's bankruptcy in 2010 brought the Viper's tenure to an end. The current Viper returned in 2013, but it's been somewhat slow-selling—Automotive News reports that just 503 Vipers were sold this year as of September, with only 760 sold in all of 2014.

That's a shame, because in many ways the Viper is the last great American sports car: Brash, brutish, and with a strong disdain for those who can't handle its challenges. In a world where even the 650-horsepower Corvette Z06 has the polish, refinement, and digital help of its European competition, there was something great about the Viper's love-it-or-hate-it untamability.
So if you want a Viper, now's your chance. You'll probably be able to snag a deal on one before 2017 rolls around.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-ends-in-2017/

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
hotlap

Sad to read this

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 10-23-2015, 09:39 AM   #3
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
Sad to read this
Agreed. Nothing more pure MURICAN than a viper. Sad to see it go :/
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
newb

Drives: 2013 1LE
I think this just highlights the problems in the MOPAR strategy. They are trying to be the last man standing holding on to traditional American car ways. The end of the Viper shows tat the market for that is too small. Get on board with modern taste or get left behind. The rest of the lineup is starting to come around but the performance division is holding onto "horsepower will sell" in an attempt to remain relevant. I hope they get it turned around and remain competitive.

The Viper has been a niche car from a mass producer. It was destined to fail before it began. The majority of people willing to spend that much coin on a car, wanted a level of refinement not offered in the viper. Regardless of the performance.
It's a Dingledarm. It's there to dampen side fumbling. If your marzelvanes fumble too much they can cause total protonic reversal. It gets ugly from there. This is really the biggest problem with the new Camaro. That and the tri-pronged blivot.

Delivered 21 Jan 2013

newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #5
Jeffro19

Drives: 2018 ZL1 6M, Silverado High Country
Sad to see it go too

Current Vehicles - 2018 ZL1 Red Hot 6 spd manual, Carbon Hood, Sunroof
2019 Silverado High Country, Daily Driver
Jeffro19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:59 PM   #6
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
I think this just highlights the problems in the MOPAR strategy. They are trying to be the last man standing holding on to traditional American car ways. The end of the Viper shows tat the market for that is too small. Get on board with modern taste or get left behind. The rest of the lineup is starting to come around but the performance division is holding onto "horsepower will sell" in an attempt to remain relevant. I hope they get it turned around and remain competitive.

The Viper has been a niche car from a mass producer. It was destined to fail before it began. The majority of people willing to spend that much coin on a car, wanted a level of refinement not offered in the viper. Regardless of the performance.
This exactly. Hopefully the Viper team will turn some attention to the Hellcat and up it's handling ability if the new platform doesn't come before then.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #7
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
This exactly. Hopefully the Viper team will turn some attention to the Hellcat and up it's handling ability if the new platform doesn't come before then.
The Challenger team in general could greatly benefit from the Viper teams experience.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #8
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
That is a damn shame. Hopefully, its temporary and comes back in the near future once FCA gets their shit together.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #9
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
This is the 2nd time the Viper has taken a nap. I will not be shocked to see it come back one day.

The 1998 Dodge Viper was my dream car for years. I have a soft spot in my car loving for this beast.

Until the future Mr. Viper....
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #10
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post
This is the 2nd time the Viper has taken a nap. I will not be shocked to see it come back one day.

The 1998 Dodge Viper was my dream car for years. I have a soft spot in my car loving for this beast.

Yup same here, I had posters and models of it as a kid. Still think its the best looking Viper. My cousin had one, and I would just stare at it in awe, plastic windows and all lol.
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #11
hotlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer70 View Post

For me it was the 1999 ACR. I thought hard about getting one 5-6 years ago
Attached Images

Ronald Reagan -