Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #29
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee123 View Post
Your car sounds absolutely amazing. I just noticed that you are still using the factory axle-back. The headers and cam must add a lot of sound. You'll be able to rattle some windows with the cutouts open. Makes me wonder what mine would sound like with the Solo cat back if I change the headers and cam, though.
I think the stock cats and resonators provide a lot of the "muffling" of the sound. The stock mufflers are pretty much straight through. Add that to the cam pulsing, the headers and the straight through HF cats and you get plenty of sound. Now the open cutouts on a WOT run is in a whole different category. I really like the sound both ways. Cutouts closed at idle is the best way to listen to the cam lope. Cutouts open on a WOT 2 - 3 shift is awesome. For me I fear the Solo catbacks added in might be too much for normal driving. But that is very much a point of personal preference.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #30
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
I think the stock cats and resonators provide a lot of the "muffling" of the sound. The stock mufflers are pretty much straight through. Add that to the cam pulsing, the headers and the straight through HF cats and you get plenty of sound. Now the open cutouts on a WOT run is in a whole different category. I really like the sound both ways. Cutouts closed at idle is the best way to listen to the cam lope. Cutouts open on a WOT 2 - 3 shift is awesome. For me I fear the Solo catbacks added in might be too much for normal driving. But that is very much a point of personal preference.
The cats certainly provide a lot of the muffling. Back in the old days when cats were new I took the muffler clear off a 280z and it was still too quiet. I gutted the can and it was so loud I had to put a muffler on it.

* Edited to remove a question that you already answered on my thread about my car. Thanks!

Last edited by Lee123; 02-14-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Lee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #31
skip1718

Drives: 2011 2SS green w/black rally strips
ssdan. told you that you would love the cam and cutouts. i have the stage three and i am at 477 rwhp. like i said in the PM you would have to alter your driving style no matter what cam you went with.
but i bet you get noticed alot more.
mine has been in the garage since i picked it up so the wife has not heard the cutouts but i bet she will freak also.
glad you chose vengeance those guys are really good at what they do.
RX Catch Can
skip1718 is offline   Reply With Quote