Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #1
SoulCyphyr71

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Installation of Overkill's 80mm Throttle Body

Anyone know what the proper orientation of the 80mm throttle body from Overkill is? The stock orientation is with the connector on the right hand (driver's) side. But installing the 80mm throttle body the same way causes issues with my K&N CAI tube fitting properly (sitting against the fan housing). Is the proper orientation exactly the opposite with the connector on the left hand (passenger's) side? And if that is true, how can I get the cable to reach the connector as there isn't enough slack to allow it to reach?

Thank you for reading and your time.
SoulCyphyr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:50 PM   #2
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Drives: Supercharged 2016 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCyphyr71 View Post
Anyone know what the proper orientation of the 80mm throttle body from Overkill is? The stock orientation is with the connector on the right hand (driver's) side. But installing the 80mm throttle body the same way causes issues with my K&N CAI tube fitting properly (sitting against the fan housing). Is the proper orientation exactly the opposite with the connector on the left hand (passenger's) side? And if that is true, how can I get the cable to reach the connector as there isn't enough slack to allow it to reach?

So I don’t know if it’s proper or not but when I installed the supercharger I had to flip my orientation with the plug on the passenger side as you can see in the picture. it’s pretty tight but it reaches just far enough. If it would’ve been stock position on the driver side ever has been dangerously close to the belt. Hope that helps at least a little bit
Attached Images

• Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1 Supercharger • Custom tune by Overkill Motorsports • AFE Momentum GT Pro Dry Cold Air Intake • MBRP SS Cat Back Exhaust • iROC-z Wheels • Nitto NT555 G2 Tires (275 fronts, 305 rears)
dgriff14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 09:33 PM   #3
SoulCyphyr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgriff14 View Post
So I don’t know if it’s proper or not but when I installed the supercharger I had to flip my orientation with the plug on the passenger side as you can see in the picture. it’s pretty tight but it reaches just far enough. If it would’ve been stock position on the driver side ever has been dangerously close to the belt. Hope that helps at least a little bit
Is that the stock throttle body or Overkill's? And I'm also assuming that it really doesn't matter the orientation of the throttle body then? As long as it bolts on in either position the results are the same?

I guess what ultimately bothered me about the installation is that I read about the 5th gen on the Camaro5 forums that installing the throttle body inverted from stock was the preferred position. But seeing as the 80mm throttle body came with no instructions for the 6th gen I assumed following stock position was desired.

With the added material from the larger throttle body and plated mounted to the intake manifold to bolt the throttle body to, the CAI tubing is now pushed against the fan housing. Will recommended cutting the pipe, which I see is probably the only fix if the throttle body is mounted correctly. I just didn't want to alter the pipe if another fix was available (i.e. having the throttle body mounted correctly).

Thank you again for the information.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:07 AM   #4
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Drives: Supercharged 2016 2LT RS
Quote:
Is that the stock throttle body or Overkill's? And I'm also assuming that it really doesn't matter the orientation of the throttle body then? As long as it bolts on in either position the results are the same?

I guess what ultimately bothered me about the installation is that I read about the 5th gen on the Camaro5 forums that installing the throttle body inverted from stock was the preferred position. But seeing as the 80mm throttle body came with no instructions for the 6th gen I assumed following stock position was desired.

With the added material from the larger throttle body and plated mounted to the intake manifold to bolt the throttle body to, the CAI tubing is now pushed against the fan housing. Will recommended cutting the pipe, which I see is probably the only fix if the throttle body is mounted correctly. I just didn't want to alter the pipe if another fix was available (i.e. having the throttle body mounted correctly).

Thank you again for the information.
It’s a stock throttle body, and I don’t believe so. When I read the instructions it came with pictures. What was strange was that the part that mentioned reinstalling the TB had the original stock positioning. But later on (on the next page I believe) the pictures showed the TB reversed. Strange.

But I hope you get that all taken care of!
• Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1 Supercharger • Custom tune by Overkill Motorsports • AFE Momentum GT Pro Dry Cold Air Intake • MBRP SS Cat Back Exhaust • iROC-z Wheels • Nitto NT555 G2 Tires (275 fronts, 305 rears)
dgriff14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:34 PM   #5
tomcamaro1

Drives: camaro rs v6 2017
Why don't you just email overkill and ask them?
tomcamaro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:47 PM   #6
Spudsmaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 6 SPEED MANUAL CAMARO
Quote:

You dont have to cut anything you just have to re-adjust i had the same issue when installing my ported intake manifold and 80mm throttle body from overkill, my K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake did not want to fit right on my first attempt it was angled weird inside of the coupling that connected it to the throttle body and it was pushed up against my fan housing aswell so much that it like almost broke my pipe in half so i re-adjusted it and got it to where it fit perfectly while still being pushed up against the fan housing it was no longer under pressure from being in the wrong position

just take it off and try again
Spudsmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:56 PM   #7
SoulCyphyr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudsmaro View Post
You dont have to cut anything you just have to re-adjust i had the same issue when installing my ported intake manifold and 80mm throttle body from overkill, my K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake did not want to fit right on my first attempt it was angled weird inside of the coupling that connected it to the throttle body and it was pushed up against my fan housing aswell so much that it like almost broke my pipe in half so i re-adjusted it and got it to where it fit perfectly while still being pushed up against the fan housing it was no longer under pressure from being in the wrong position

just take it off and try again
Actually, I did end up cutting around 3/4" off the tip of the K&N tube. The tube was not against the fan housing with the old throttle body and manifold and I wanted to keep it that way. And I also trimmed around 1/4" off the top and bottom of the silicone coupler to allow the tube to sit comfortably without pressure pushing away from or into the fan housing. There is now a 3/8" gap separating the elbow from the fan housing, so all is good.

Will did get back with me and recommended cutting the pipe. It was just unexpected and not something I wanted to initially do.