Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
SkySerpent

Drives: 2022 Vivid Orange LT1 M6
Normal Transmission Vibration

Been getting told that the vibration I'm feeling when transitioning from v4 to v6 mode is "Normal". Can anyone fill me in on what counts as "normal' vibration?
SkySerpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:13 PM   #2
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Something gonna be wrong mine doesn’t vibrate when going from v4 to v6 or the Other way around. I can’t even tell unless I look at the dashboard.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
SoulCyphyr71

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro RS
In my experience, the change from 4 to 6 and visa versa should just be a change in tone only. Anything more than that I'd get a second opinion.
SoulCyphyr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:40 PM   #4
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Sounds like the infamous trans shudder to me *go figure* There are plenty threads on the forum about the issue. Best thing to do is find a reputable dealer and ask them to perform TSB 18-NA-355.
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
SkySerpent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerlazer26 View Post
Sounds like the infamous trans shudder to me *go figure* There are plenty threads on the forum about the issue. Best thing to do is find a reputable dealer and ask them to perform TSB 18-NA-355.
Had another dealer perform the TSB 18-NA-355.... vibration came back after 200km. Got told they couldn't feel any abnormal vibration before or after the flush and that its normal for the transmission to have some vibration. Took it to a 3rd part transmission shop and they told me something in my TC is vibrating and to have GM look at it since they didn't want to void my warranty. Just trying to get an idea if what the dealership is saying is true (been to 2 of them so far...) OR do I have a problem that needs to be addressed directly to Chevrolet Canada to avoid damaging my transmission (since I'm at 56,000km would be very very expensive) Figured the people who actually drive Camaro's might know a bit more about what is and isn't normal. I have an appointment with Chevy tomorrow....
Old 01-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #6
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkySerpent View Post
Had another dealer perform the TSB 18-NA-355.... vibration came back after 200km. Got told they couldn't feel any abnormal vibration before or after the flush and that its normal for the transmission to have some vibration. Took it to a 3rd part transmission shop and they told me something in my TC is vibrating and to have GM look at it since they didn't want to void my warranty. Just trying to get an idea if what the dealership is saying is true (been to 2 of them so far...) OR do I have a problem that needs to be addressed directly to Chevrolet Canada to avoid damaging my transmission (since I'm at 56,000km would be very very expensive) Figured the people who actually drive Camaro's might know a bit more about what is and isn't normal. I have an appointment with Chevy tomorrow....
Having the dealer swap the TC should resolve the issue. Most people who have gotten the flush/TC swap had some good success. Worst (or best) case would be to go get an after market tc/delete the AFM and save the headache. Keep us updated and good luck tomorrow!
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:19 PM   #7
OzzieSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I have the shuddering issue on my 2016 A8 car and I'm having my tranny flushed in a few days. Meanwhile I bought the Range AFM disabler OBD dongle that does just that. It disables AFM altogether which means my car always runs in V8 mode. Funny thing is I haven't had any shudder since I installed the dongle a few days ago. I'm still having the tranny flushed under the TSB service while my drivetrain is still under warranty. I will take the Range dongle out after the flush and drive the car and see how the tranny behaves. If the shudder rears it's face again, I'm going to insist on having the torque converter replaced while the car is still under warranty......

I think it's ironic how a $190 OBD dongle can magically make the shuddering issue go away but yet GM insists on doing things the hard way....
OzzieSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #8
Mark19

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
Maybe I’m dense but I’m not feeling any of that in my A10.
Mark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #9
OzzieSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark19 View Post
Maybe I’m dense but I’m not feeling any of that in my A10.
Apparently it's only the A8 cars.....
OzzieSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:35 PM   #10
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Been getting told that the vibration I'm feeling when transitioning from v4 to v6 mode is "Normal". Can anyone fill me in on what counts as "normal' vibration?
Does your vibration feel like you’re running over the “rumble strips” that are commonly ground into the road along the shoulder?

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:49 PM   #11
SkySerpent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Does your vibration feel like you’re running over the “rumble strips” that are commonly ground into the road along the shoulder?
Yes. But its not coming from the wheels the vibration is being transmitted through the gas pedal. Passenger can't feel the vibration.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:54 PM   #12
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
As I recall my previous V6, I had to look at the cluster to even tell when V4 <-> V6 transitions occurred unless it was real quiet outside and inside, nothing should "vibrate" during the transition.

Is this a momentary thing, ie similar to a valve being flipped somewhat noisily (because that does actually happen, there are 2 AFM valves underneath the seat area), or is it more like what others said above, ie driving over rumble strips?

If it's the latter, look at this thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=527133&page=8, post #316 (but there are countless others, too, https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=568554 is one of the latest).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #13
SkySerpent

*Update*

Did the test drive. I could feel the vibration in the passengers seat. Every time he was in V4 mode and accelerating it vibrated. He confirmed the vibration existed (which is an improvement from a month ago when they said it didn't exist). However he stated it was "normal" vibration from the transmission and every other Camaro he drove exhibited the same behavior.

I asked about the oscilloscope test and he responded with GM wont pay them to test it and the car doesn't warrant a test as this vibration is "normal".

My symptoms:
-Vibration 90% of the time when from V4 to V6 mode and lightly accelerating from speeds 40km/h to 130km/h (more common 80-130km/h)
-Some vibrations are accompanied by the tachometer fluctuating approx 100-200rpm up and down.
-Severe vibrations are accompanied with a loss of acceleration for a few seconds. I can put the pedal halfway down and get no acceleration, only vibration. These are rare (5 times in 2 months).
-ALL vibrations occur while in a single gear. Most common 7th and 8th. uncommon 4th, 5th, and 6th.

I'm not stupid enough to think these are "normal" but I also am not a transmission expert.

I've been to 2 dealerships and both said nothing is wrong and vibration is "normal".

If I contact Chevrolet Canada can they do anything?
Old 01-23-2020, 12:41 PM   #14
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
*Update*

Did the test drive. I could feel the vibration in the passengers seat. Every time he was in V4 mode and accelerating it vibrated. He confirmed the vibration existed (which is an improvement from a month ago when they said it didn't exist). However he stated it was "normal" vibration from the transmission and every other Camaro he drove exhibited the same behavior.

I asked about the oscilloscope test and he responded with GM wont pay them to test it and the car doesn't warrant a test as this vibration is "normal".

My symptoms:
-Vibration 90% of the time when from V4 to V6 mode and lightly accelerating from speeds 40km/h to 130km/h (more common 80-130km/h)
-Some vibrations are accompanied by the tachometer fluctuating approx 100-200rpm up and down.
-Severe vibrations are accompanied with a loss of acceleration for a few seconds. I can put the pedal halfway down and get no acceleration, only vibration. These are rare (5 times in 2 months).
-ALL vibrations occur while in a single gear. Most common 7th and 8th. uncommon 4th, 5th, and 6th.

I'm not stupid enough to think these are "normal" but I also am not a transmission expert.

I've been to 2 dealerships and both said nothing is wrong and vibration is "normal".

If I contact Chevrolet Canada can they do anything?
My 2017 did this. It had the exact symptoms you described- especially the Tach fluctuating up and down. It felt like the transmission was slipping. Andit was in 7th and 8th gear also. It did it all the time, whether cold or warm. Mine also shuddered terribly after the fluid got warm- the rumble strip effect. It went into the dealer, received the transmission flush and it did not help at all. The second time I had such a hard time making an appointment as the SM stated that there was a huge line of cars in front of me with the same transmission issue. I had to keep calling just to get it in again. Driving it like that was very frustrating. Finally brought it in, it sat 2 weeks, then they diagnosed it needing a new torque converter. It sat there another month, finally got a new converter installed. I was so frustrated with the transmission, I immediately traded in the car. When I saw the Service Advisor to pick up the car she profusely apologized and stated that there are so many problems with that 8 speed automatic.

I feel your pain, I been through it. All I car say is the car is so great and I only know now how good it is as I have pretty much the same car, except with the 6M.