Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-21-2020, 04:53 PM   #1
Aggrsve_ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro ss
Smile Issues with a 6.2L injen cold air intake

Do you any of you guys have a injen cai for your ss? Have you guys run into a check engine light? I purchased this assuming I didn’t need a tune , which it said it doesn’t need one. Didn’t check the code yet but could it be my modified MBRP axelback exhaust that is throwing it off? Any help? Everything was installed correctly , made sure to disconnect the battery during installation to reset ecu
Aggrsve_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #2
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
It's most likely your cai, axleback shouldn't effect anything. An easy check would be to put your stock intake on, reset the code, or unplug the battery for a while then drive around.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #3
Aggrsve_ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booher View Post
It's most likely your cai, axleback shouldn't effect anything. An easy check would be to put your stock intake on, reset the code, or unplug the battery for a while then drive around.
Yeah it was because I put the stock one back on and the code went away, no check engine light. So could it need a tune ? Maybe it throws the air/fuel ratio off
Old 01-22-2020, 06:14 AM   #4
Booher

Drives: 2019 zl1 6 speed
Yes, that cai will require a tune to run properly it appears. I believe it's about the maf sensor placement and different velocities of air throwing the sensor off.
Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:28 AM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You can advertise that intake in the Classified section here on the forum and buy a Roto-Fab or Cold Air Inductions Intake!��
Old 01-22-2020, 08:08 AM   #6
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrsve_ss View Post
Do you any of you guys have a injen cai for your ss? Have you guys run into a check engine light? I purchased this assuming I didn’t need a tune , which it said it doesn’t need one. Didn’t check the code yet but could it be my modified MBRP axelback exhaust that is throwing it off? Any help? Everything was installed correctly , made sure to disconnect the battery during installation to reset ecu
Your exhaust is fine.

With any untuned CAI mod you run the risk of a CEL problem. Sorry to say Aggrsve_ss, but 99/100 the issue is the CAI (crappy air intake). The stock airboxes in our car do not need upgrading for performance if the rest of the engine up to and including the primary cats is still stock. The MAFs of our cars are very sensitive to airflow, and most CAIs on the market are not compatible with the stock tune and MAF setup on the car. This confuses the ECU, which throws a CEL and reduces performance, sometimes significantly.

The two best options IMO for improving engine compartment bling w/o significant risk of screwing up your car are Rotofab (non-big gulp) or GM Performance intake. If your goal is performance, then you need to find a competent tuner first, then have a conversation about your budget and power goals to determine the best solution that meets your need for speed.

So your options are:
  1. Put it back to stock and be done with the failed experiment.
  2. Spend an additional $1000 on a competent tuner to fix whats broke. If they're good you might get a dozen or two HP out of the deal.
  3. Get rid of the Injen and buy a better CAI like the RF or GM that will give you the bling factor but not break your car. Note: the GM Performance tune that comes with the GM CAI & tune installed by the dealer does not significantly increase performance, but does prevent the CEL problem.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #7
Aggrsve_ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Your exhaust is fine.

With any untuned CAI mod you run the risk of a CEL problem. Sorry to say Aggrsve_ss, but 99/100 the issue is the CAI (crappy air intake). The stock airboxes in our car do not need upgrading for performance if the rest of the engine up to and including the primary cats is still stock. The MAFs of our cars are very sensitive to airflow, and most CAIs on the market are not compatible with the stock tune and MAF setup on the car. This confuses the ECU, which throws a CEL and reduces performance, sometimes significantly.

The two best options IMO for improving engine compartment bling w/o significant risk of screwing up your car are Rotofab (non-big gulp) or GM Performance intake. If your goal is performance, then you need to find a competent tuner first, then have a conversation about your budget and power goals to determine the best solution that meets your need for speed.

So your options are:
  1. Put it back to stock and be done with the failed experiment.
  2. Spend an additional $1000 on a competent tuner to fix whats broke. If they're good you might get a dozen or two HP out of the deal.
  3. Get rid of the Injen and buy a better CAI like the RF or GM that will give you the bling factor but not break your car. Note: the GM Performance tune that comes with the GM CAI & tune installed by the dealer does not significantly increase performance, but does prevent the CEL problem.

Thank you for responding and giving me your 2 cents. I’m actually going to run e85 soon through lethal Camaro and I’ll actially be having Michael (red barn racing) do the tune for the e85 and cai. He’s really good with his work and I’m sure after the tune it will work out