Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 01-17-2020, 02:05 AM   #57
Tyestick

Drives: 19’ Camaro SS 1LE
I’m curious to see if there’s any tangible gains from this intake.

I’ll wait to see results.
Old 01-17-2020, 07:17 AM   #58
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyestick View Post
I’m curious to see if there’s any tangible gains from this intake.

I’ll wait to see results.
I have one that I ordered when they did the FB $145 group buy, but I'm waiting to install it to see if anyone has any data or logs on a stock tune car. Or if that never happens then I'll just wait till I mod and tune.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:05 PM   #59
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I have one that I ordered when they did the FB $145 group buy, but I'm waiting to install it to see if anyone has any data or logs on a stock tune car. Or if that never happens then I'll just wait till I mod and tune.
i have several logs from my stock car. i have also stated, several times, that IATS were ambient.
Old 01-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #60
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
When are they ambient? On the highway for a while, absolutely. 100% like most cars these days. Because staging and at a stop light they most definitely are not ambient. Actually far from it. How long from that state to get back to ambient?
Old 01-17-2020, 06:23 PM   #61
s346k

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
When are they ambient? Because staging and at a stop light they most definitely are not ambient. Actually far from it
if the car was moving, they were ambient. i drove through town, catching a cpl lights, to get out to the highway, i want to say they only went up 4-6* at a stoplight and came back down by 30 mph. it was 90*, late evening as the sun was just beginning to set. same day i made 3 back to back pulls on the highway. 1 log had 1 cell of timing retard, but i don’t recall it being above 2*. i’ll go dig up the logs and see what the iats were doing at wot.

if the weather wasn’t so uncooperative i’d go log the car now. but i imagine 25* won’t be conducive to iat monitoring or flooring it. anyone with logging software can do it. hell i imagine you could monitor iat in real time with something as common and simple as the torque app.

i’m leaving the factory airbox on the car, i’ll have more logs later this year. the stock air intake parts are surprisingly resistant to heat.

i’m all for data. if it warms up around here i’ll get some fresh datalogs to post.

edit: i don’t foresee any real gains to be had from iat control, as the car does a pretty good job of that on its own. i know ram air setups make power but i do not see this as a ram air setup. i think the air has too many turns to make before it reaches the intake manifold to offer much in that regard.
Old 01-17-2020, 11:49 PM   #62
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
any logs before and after? i had a chrs1313 ram air setup on my ls1 car. it made a huge difference. granted it is a better design, the chrs1313 setup leaned my ws6 out A LOT. to the tune of adding 20% more fuel in places. it was a very noticeable improvement AFTER tuning. first log after install showed it lean and pulling quite a bit of timing. basically i’m saying if it’s not messing with the car before tuning, its tough to sell more than a minimal, if any, gain.
I also came from the LS1 world. I had a 98 TA with a LS2 402 hi compression stroker that ran 10's n/a with full interior and a roll bar. My friend owns the company that makes the SSRA and Mega Mouth for the those f-bodies. I did all of the street testing for both versions with EFILive using countless data logs as well as the Side Swipe for the 2nd Gen CTS-V. Using specific parameters below under the same operating conditions; all 3 increased air flow at near or WOT. So this type of "ram air" does works; but how much depends on construction of the piece, correct placement of the inlet and vehicle specific modifications.

The LS1 f-bodies were bottom feeders so a lower inlet placement worked best. Based on the upper and lower front grill opening sizes (which is determined by the GM engineers for best frontal air flow) of the 6th gen; I would say a inlet location in the lower grille would be more effective, but I can't say with complete certainty and with no direct comparisons.

Last edited by DrkPhx; 01-18-2020 at 12:11 AM.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:10 AM   #63
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
For those testing with a good data logger, I would log the parameters below under the same ambient temperatures and operating conditions (same day back, before and after, back to back preferably) to gather empirical data.

ECT - Engine Coolant Temp (F)
IAT - Inlet Air Temp (F)
MAP - Intake Manifold Air Pressure (kPa)
MAF - Mass Air Flow sensor (hz)
Airflow Grams/Cylinder - the actual pid name varies and is ECM specific; but it calculates incoming airmass that includes different measurements.

As previously mentioned; logging fuel trims at part throttle can help as well, though they might not increase that much with a small intake at low speeds. Ideally you should have a wideband oxygen sensor installed as well to measure actual air to fuel ratio.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #64
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
i have several logs from my stock car. i have also stated, several times, that IATS were ambient.
I know you've stated that before, but my post was regarding those with the big mouth intake and a stock tune who have data logged with and without the big mouth. Not so much interested in iat' as much as how it may effect a/f and manifold pressure.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:01 PM   #65
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
I know you've stated that before, but my post was regarding those with the big mouth intake and a stock tune who have data logged with and without the big mouth. Not so much interested in iat' as much as how it may effect a/f and manifold pressure.
This duct just directs the ambient air to the filter housing. You're not going to change A/F or manifold pressure...
Old 01-21-2020, 06:59 PM   #66
s346k

it’s not going to put the iats under ambient. if it affected the af *that much it would require a tune. neither of those is happening.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:18 AM   #67
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
it’s not going to put the iats under ambient. if it affected the af *that much it would require a tune. neither of those is happening.
Again, I dont think it will affect af that much either, but that's just my assumption like yours. So that's why I'm looking to see if anyone out there has done before and after logs to verify as much or that it doesn't screw with the maf readings.

The product is well built and I talked to Dan who seemed like they did their due diligence testing, so it's probably 100% ok on a stock tune, but they also had no logs or data to provide as far as af.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:05 AM   #68
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
IAT's should be the least of anybodies concern on a NA setup. They never get hot enough with a NA setup that it's going to pull timing unless you are sitting and idling in traffic on a 90 degree day for a long period of time and try to make a pull without driving around for a minute to get some air flowing.

The whole point of the ram air is to pressurize the intake and remove any vacuum. On Fbodies is wasn't uncommon to get KPA around 100-101 with a ram air setup if everything is sealed. On a NA application,MAP KPA normally runs in the 96-98 range depending how much of a restriction the intake side is feeding the engine. Anything less then 100kpa means the engine is still pulling a slight amount of vacuum. Anything above 100kpa means it's seeing boost. It is hard saying if the tune will need touched up or not without logging. I suspect the gains from this won't be seen till you get up around 50mph or so.

As mentioned previously, what you want to log to see if a combination has made a difference in power is:

MAF(lb/min)
MAP(kpa)
Airmass(gms/cyl)

If I was NA I would of already had one of these installed. For the cost it is definitely worth it imo. I am not sure if it will help on a FI setup. PD does respond somewhat like NA to intake mods but I don't think this will make a big difference for me. It's not much money to find out, so I might play around with the idea this spring.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #69
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
IAT's should be the least of anybodies concern on a NA setup. They never get hot enough with a NA setup that it's going to pull timing unless you are sitting and idling in traffic on a 90 degree day for a long period of time and try to make a pull without driving around for a minute to get some air flowing.

The whole point of the ram air is to pressurize the intake and remove any vacuum. On Fbodies is wasn't uncommon to get KPA around 100-101 with a ram air setup if everything is sealed. On a NA application,MAP KPA normally runs in the 96-98 range depending how much of a restriction the intake side is feeding the engine. Anything less then 100kpa means the engine is still pulling a slight amount of vacuum. Anything above 100kpa means it's seeing boost. It is hard saying if the tune will need touched up or not without logging. I suspect the gains from this won't be seen till you get up around 50mph or so.

As mentioned previously, what you want to log to see if a combination has made a difference in power is:

MAF(lb/min)
MAP(kpa)
Airmass(gms/cyl)

If I was NA I would of already had one of these installed. For the cost it is definitely worth it imo. I am not sure if it will help on a FI setup. PD does respond somewhat like NA to intake mods but I don't think this will make a big difference for me. It's not much money to find out, so I might play around with the idea this spring.
Good post.. but I have always heard that these 6th gens with the gen 5 small blocks are pretty sensitive towards ambient temps and pull some timing at under 90 degrees, don't know how true that is.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:28 PM   #70
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
They like to pull timing regardless with the stock Knock Sensor thresholds...not a IAT issue.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote