#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-27-2020, 12:31 PM   #1
asthmamax11

Drives: 1SS Summit White 6 speed
Suspension Upgrade Essentials

Hello y'all

What suspension upgrades do you personally think are "must haves" for the 6th gen Camaro SS (or other trims for that matter) ?

Got the 1LE sway bars in my garage right now. Hope it's something I can do with handtools and jackstands on a Saturday.
Solo Performance Cat deletes and Axleback
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

Flow one 19" wheels wrapped in Mickey Thompsons

02 Z28 M6 35th anniversary
80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Joy to drive this classic every day!
Daily Driver
asthmamax11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
samr350

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Uhh nothing unless you're at the limit of the current stuff on track.
samr350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:34 PM   #3
Camaro'd

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by samr350 View Post
Uhh nothing unless you're at the limit of the current stuff on track.
^^^^^^^^^^^
Yup, what he said. The only upgrade you need is seat time
Camaro'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by asthmamax11 View Post
Hello y'all

What suspension upgrades do you personally think are "must haves" for the 6th gen Camaro SS (or other trims for that matter) ?

Got the 1LE sway bars in my garage right now. Hope it's something I can do with handtools and jackstands on a Saturday.
Well if you plan on doing any type of road racing or autocrossing, THIS would be a must have:

https://ecom-dam.ext.gm.com/parts/do...s_84408106.pdf

SG3 Suspension Upgrade 84408106

NOTE: I ordered this under part number 84203549 which I think is the updated part number

With this upgrade along with those 1LE Sway Bars , you will find the car will corner flatter and at higher speeds. The GM stated 20MM drop in height compared to stock I found to be accurate.

Also ideally you are going to need wider tires and wheels to get the most from your suspension.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10

Last edited by sr71bb; 09-27-2020 at 08:22 PM.
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Depends on what you're doing with and want out of the car.

If you're planning to seriously track it, only "must haves" for suspension/chassis stuff are DOT4 brake fluid, track brake deflectors, and track alignment. Past that, track time is the next best thing to get. No mod will make you faster than becoming a better driver. Once you're a seasoned driver can go to better tires, bigger brakes, swapping in SS 1LE or ZL1 1LE suspension components, etc, but usually the easier route than messing around with all the mods is to trade up to a 1LE lol.

If the Camaro is just a DD I'd still suggest an alignment check because they're not always great from the factory, but aside from that it's up to what makes the car fun/appealing to you.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #6
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
yyz springs and 1le swaybars and adjustable swaybar endlinks
Old 09-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #7
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
You’ve already got the bars. I’d recommend perusing the Member Classifieds for some ZL1 or 1LE wheels and tires next, followed by a BRM lockout kit for the rear cradle.
I did my handling mods incrementally. Started with ZL1 take-off wheels and tires, then added the FE4 spec handing kit (front and rear bars plus 1LE end links) and ZLE cradle bushings.
The wheels and tires really transformed the car. They make a huge difference as was demonstrated in the testing GM did when they compared a 1LE to a base SS with various upgrades. You will notice the bars also, probably before you even get out of your driveway; they really stiffen up the car and are a very good at offsetting the weight of the blower; the car will corner much flatter. The cradle bushings are very noticeable also, the rear end of the car seems much more stable and planted. I notice it the most when playing around on backroads and steering with the throttle. If I had it to do over again though, I’d just go with the BMR lockout kit. The solid bushings transmit ALL the driveline lash into the body of the car. You can tell before you even take the car off the jacks. With the OEM bushings, if you rotate one of your axles or the driveshaft back and forth to take up the lash in the gears, you hear a muted “thunk, thunk”. With the solid bushings, it’s more like “clang, clang”. Really noticeable on M6 cars, probably wouldn’t be as noticeable on an a8/A10.
I agree with others that there’s no substitute for seat time. Anytime you’re up for an open track day at Talladega Gran Prix, let me know, I’m in!
BTW: you can install the bars on jack stands with no problem.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:25 PM   #8
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
You’ve already got the bars. I’d recommend perusing the Member Classifieds for some ZL1 or 1LE wheels and tires next, followed by a BRM lockout kit for the rear cradle.
I did my handling mods incrementally. Started with ZL1 take-off wheels and tires, then added the FE4 spec handing kit (front and rear bars plus 1LE end links) and ZLE cradle bushings.
The wheels and tires really transformed the car. They make a huge difference as was demonstrated in the testing GM did when they compared a 1LE to a base SS with various upgrades. You will notice the bars also, probably before you even get out of your driveway; they really stiffen up the car and are a very good at offsetting the weight of the blower; the car will corner much flatter. The cradle bushings are very noticeable also, the rear end of the car seems much more stable and planted. I notice it the most when playing around on backroads and steering with the throttle. If I had it to do over again though, I’d just go with the BMR lockout kit. The solid bushings transmit ALL the driveline lash into the body of the car. You can tell before you even take the car off the jacks. With the OEM bushings, if you rotate one of your axles or the driveshaft back and forth to take up the lash in the gears, you hear a muted “thunk, thunk”. With the solid bushings, it’s more like “clang, clang”. Really noticeable on M6 cars, probably wouldn’t be as noticeable on an a8/A10.
I agree with others that there’s no substitute for seat time. Anytime you’re up for an open track day at Talladega Gran Prix, let me know, I’m in!
BTW: you can install the bars on jack stands with no problem.
I had none of what you describe after my ZLE solid cradle bushing install. For me there was ZERO negatives, only positives.

The rear-end has no more lateral movements when loaded up or on quick transitions.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #9
L78toLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I had none of what you describe after my ZLE solid cradle bushing install. For me there was ZERO negatives, only positives.

The rear-end has no more lateral movements when loaded up or on quick transitions.
I think your diff must have less lash than mine, or maybe it's something to do with the edif vs. std. I'm an old guy and well versed in setting up diffs - a lost art, not to mention useless skill set with these diffs - and the lash on mine is not excessive.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
Old 09-30-2020, 10:42 AM   #10
asthmamax11

Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Awesome. Thanks for the info.
That helps explain alot.
I am really looking forward to getting these sway bars on first. I have BMR lowering springs on the front also.
I will hit you up in next few weekends to go on a cruise.
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Daily Driver
Old 09-30-2020, 10:44 AM   #11
asthmamax11

Thanks everybody for the suggestions and taking time to respond. I agree Driver mod is the best mod!
Hurst short shifter
#'s coming soon

Riaction coilovers
1LE sway bars
BMR mm
BMR chassis brace

80k miles
T-tops
Leather
Bolt ons
Daily Driver
Old 09-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #12
L78toLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by asthmamax11 View Post
Awesome. Thanks for the info.
That helps explain alot.
I am really looking forward to getting these sway bars on first. I have BMR lowering springs on the front also.
I will hit you up in next few weekends to go on a cruise.
Sounds good! I'm doing a track session at AMP on the 18th. You should sign up if it's not too late!