Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - California

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-25-2020, 01:46 PM   #141
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I love the arguments that try to oppose electric cars because they're not 100% good for everyone involved in making them from raw material to final production and not improving the environment the entire way, while at the same time, the status quo being worse is ignored.

It's not about replacing the status quo with something that's perfect. Just something that's better. Better not only for the consumer who can fuel their transportation from any number of sources instead of just 1 or 2 but also better for everyone sharing the same air ... and apparently all of those precious home owners who live next to roadways and can't stand loud cars because their houses were built with paper walls.

being on the side of the argument that says "I want combustion engines because I think it's more fun than electric" is not going to win out. Instead, of trying to hold back the wave of progress that is not going to stop, maybe work out the ways that you'll mod and wrench on electric cars and still have fun. If sound is the stick up your butt, i'm sure there will be some creative subwoofer or even just high voltage audio solutions to create something new to let everyone know (including yourself) that you have a massively powerful car. Things change, you'll be happier if you adapt rather than get left behind or run over.

edit: electric cars are good. Everything about ICE cars is already so anti-consumer that most of the hobby is still stuck in the 60's and 70's and 80's. And even though it's likely car manufacturers are going to make it hard to work on electrics even though they should be orders of magnitude easier, it's still going to be a better situation for diy and non-dealer mechanics. Gotta get in on that modding early since i'm sure they'll
regulate it to hell so you can't do motor swaps or change out the ESC with aftermarket under the guise of safety.

I'd imagine there will be a market for custom re-wound motors or motors with special 99.9999% pure copper wiring or some exotic new alloy and monster will probably go nuts selling magic ground straps and cabling. Bespoke speed controllers and such. electric cars should really revitalize the modding and diy aspect of this hobby so it's not just the really rich or those willing to be really ghetto that can have fun.
If electric cars are better, then we wouldn't need a ban on ICE cars.

My grandmother rode to school in a horse drawn wagon (no joke, 1910's era). Cars replaced horses not because they were mandated. But because they were better. Heck, the horse and buggy manufactures tried to ban the automobile. Improvements have been made and now we have cars that make those 60's muscle cars legends look slow. Will they eventually solve the issues that EV cars have, probably. But the politicians should let that evolution happen by itself.
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:49 PM   #142
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post

My grandmother rode to school in a horse drawn wagon (no joke, 1910's era). Cars replaced horses not because they were mandated. But because they were better. Heck, the horse and buggy manufactures tried to ban the automobile. Improvements have been made and now we have cars that make those 60's muscle cars legends look slow. Will they eventually solve the issues that EV cars have, probably. But the politicians should let that evolution happen by itself.
Exactly. Well said.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #143
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:

I agree in the sense that some governments are overly aggressive with this transition, but on the other hand, there is a point in that some people wish to make money off of the status quo and try to maintain it for as long as possible.

I like the alternative, I just don't like it being shoved down people's throats, especially if it doesn't work for them practically.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:31 PM   #144
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I just don't like it being shoved down people's throats, especially if it doesn't work for them practically.
Now you're getting why this crap really irritates me.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:43 PM   #145
Evansa22

Drives: HBM ZLE
Quote:
Politicians, especially California politicians have been pushing toward non-emissions vehicles for years. Now that Newsome has made an executive order to ban all fossil fuel burning cars by 2035, the manufactures have probably betting that it will eventually become a reality. California has 40 million citizens. The market is huge. It would be devastating for a car company if they couldn't sell their product in California. For that matter why make a product that you can't sell in California (like a gas powered vehicle). Oil refineries, and oil distributers have to be asking themselves the same question. If most of California isn't filling their tanks once a week, why maintain a refinery there?

This could be a reason why the Camaro ZL1, Dodge Demon, and Shelby GT500 are going away. The companies that make them are transitioning to a new culture mandated by politicians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
And THAT is a very bad problem for Americans.

People are naively electing politicians who are eroding our rights and privileges as Americans. We need to stop this now, and I'm working in what little capacity I can from my little corner of Ohio, not that what I do or say will do any good but I have to try.

We ALL have to try if you really understand the seriousness of people like Newsom and Pelosi, who are destroying America.

Remember what Bob Lutz once said: forcing economical cars on people is like forcing people to lose weight by making it illegal to make pants with larger than a 32 inch waist line.

If there's any possibility of stopping this madness, of ripping apart the EPA and going full attack on California's CARB, we at least provide the possibility of doing that this November. Think about that when you hit the poles.
Most likely scenario is Gov Newsome is greedy rather than giving 2 cents about the environment. He's had shady dealings in the past and this possibility aligns with them. His motives are more to line his pockets, just another sleezy politician. Tesla is hq'd here, he pissed off Musk back during the pandemic and he said they were leaving. Maybe this appeases Musk pushing a lot of revenue his way. Musk returns in kind with whatever deal they have worked out.

Although its just speculation in this case, politicians who abuse their position of power to profit themselves are disgusting. It comes from both sides but I've noticed is leans more in one direction. Unfortunately we're voting these people into office and many can't see them for what they are.

Regardless, one day it might not matter who is in charge. We could all be taken out in one swipe out of nowhere from something we hadn't accounted for.
Might as well enjoy our cars while we can!
Evansa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:52 PM   #146
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansa22 View Post
Might as well enjoy our cars while we can!
You’ve probably read Beyond The Beach by Nevil Schute right?
Old 09-25-2020, 07:39 PM   #147
Evansa22

Had never heard of the book, did a little Google search
Old 09-26-2020, 11:18 AM   #148
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

It’s about the last people surviving on earth after nuclear fallout and they’re just waiting for the winds to bring the nuclear dust to them. The one character spends his last days driving around in a sports car.

The book was written in ‘59 I think and they made it into a movie in the 60s with Fred Astaire the guy driving his sports car.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #149
Evansa22

Haha, not a horrible way to go out.
Like someone else stated earlier, only reason I stay is i can drive my car year round in great weather.
My entire family was born and raised here and they all left for Texas. They're slowly chipping away at people's freedoms here.
The state unemployment offive is a joke and the pandemic has definitely put that in the spotlight with the big loss in jobs. Rioting going on in the state consistently over blm. Wildfires across the state, which could be argued as evidence of rapid climate change. However the mismanagement of the forests and overgrowth within them doesn't help either.
And the governor introduces a bill to kill all new gasoline vehicles by 2035? Seems to be more pressing concerns at the moment but what the heck do I know.

Not sure how much longer I can hold out in this state....