Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Upper/lower control arm bushings on ZL1 1LE compared to ZL1/SS 1LE

Other than the obvious of DSSV shocks, spring rates, sway bars, and the solid rear-end, are there differences in the suspension of the ZL1 1LE compared to the ZL1 and SS1LE for bushings in the upper/lower control arms?

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
If I'm not mistaken, they are that stamped steel crap, which is why I went with BMR everything. i get the weight savings on the stamped steel, but it twists and torques under load so.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #3
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, they are that stamped steel crap, which is why I went with BMR everything. i get the weight savings on the stamped steel, but it twists and torques under load so.
Yeah, I figured the arms were the same, I am wondering if the bushings are stiffer though.

I am going to be adding the ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushing kit on my SS 1LE, and was wondering if that would put more stress on the arm bushings and if GM accounted for that on the ZL1 1LE

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 08-15-2018, 06:36 PM   #4
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
I have tried to figure that out by looking at part numbers and I believe the ZL1 and ZL1 LE are all the same part numbers other than those you note
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #5
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
https://html5.dcatalog.com/?docid=00...5604bc#page=24

https://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-pa...RoCCI4QAvD_BwE

Other Differences:

Take a Deep Breath . . .
For the 1LE, the supercharged LT4 engine does breathe slightly better thanks to optimized grille and intake openings that gulp in 106 cubic feet more air per minute than does the regular ZL1’s front end.

It Doesn’t Just Suck Air, It Punches It
Chevrolet’s aerodynamics team sent the 1LE to a Formula 1 wind tunnel to shape the rear wing and develop the front end’s splitter and dive planes. The result? A claimed 300 pounds of downforce at 150 mph, and a carbon-fiber rear wing that looks incredibly bad-ass.

Awesome Adjustability Comes Standard
In sharp contrast to the regular ZL1, the 1LE offers a clever mechanism by which its front camber geometry can be changed with relative ease. The ball-jointed top mounts for the front struts can be adjusted to increase negative camber by up to 1.7 degrees by jacking up the front end until the tires are off the ground, removing an alignment pin in the wheel well and the three bolts at the top of the strut tower, rotating the entire top mount 180 degrees, and cinching everything back down. Boom, now you have more negative camber that can be made more so (up to -3.7) by way of common eccentric alignment bolts. Setup-savvy buyers also can adjust the rear anti-roll bar to their liking.

Damned Fancy Dampers
Canadian supplier Multimatic provides the 1LE’s exotic aluminum-bodied spool-valve dampers, which are inverted in front to enable significant negative camber even before the top mounts are flipped to their track camber setting. The dampers not only are 23 pounds lighter than the steel-bodied spool-valve dampers in the 2014–2015 Camaro Z/28, but enjoy a broader tuning spectrum than traditional twin-tube dampers. This enabled Chevy's engineers to more precisely match damping performance to their handling goals for the 1LE.

Its Rear Subframe Has Been Doing Squats
In place of the traditional bushings insulating the rear subframe and suspension from the body—like the ZL1 uses—the 1LE gets aluminum pucks. Their lack of give sharpens the rear end’s responses and gives the driver a better feel for available lateral grip. Oh, and you’ll feel every crack in the road, and not only because of the rigid subframe mounts: The springs are three times stiffer than those in the ZL1.

Its Wheels Are Actually Smaller Than the ZL1’s
To reduce rotating inertia and unsprung mass, the 1LE uses 19-inch wheels in place of the ZL1’s 20-inchers, saving 3.3 pounds per corner—about 13 pounds overall

. . . yet Its Tires Are Wider and Stickier Than the ZL1’s
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires with a compound formulated specially for the 1LE wrap around those lightweight, downsized wheels and produce astounding grip. Sized 305/30ZR up front and 325/30ZR in the rear, the sticky Goodyears pick up pebbles, debris, and whatever else is on the road and slings it into the wheel wells and onto the underbody. They’re also the widest tires ever fitted to a factory Camaro.

Oh, You Wanted an Automatic?
Too bad, you can’t have one, at least not initially. The Camaro ZL1 1LE flagrantly saves the manuals with its sole transmission option: a six-speed manual. Identical to the ’box in the ZL1, the 1LE’s transmission differs only by way of its sixth gear, which is shorter (0.68:1 versus 0.54:1).

Only Slightly Lighter
Can you tell that the rear-window glass is 1.2 millimeters thinner than the ZL1’s? It is, and that about sums up the subtlety with which Chevrolet approached the 1LE’s diet. Combine the glass with a fixed rear seatback that doesn’t fold (as it does on the ZL1) and the lighter-weight wheels and suspension pieces, and the 1LE is 60 pounds lighter than the ZL1. As to why it isn't even lighter, blame the decision to keep the ZL1 1LE vaguely streetable, as opposed to the harder-core 2014–2015 Camaro Z/28 in which air-conditioning and a radio were optional.

It’s Much, Much Faster at the Track Than a ZL1
On Germany’s 12.9-mile-long Nürburgring Nordschleife, the ZL1 1LE turned in a lap time 13.6 seconds faster than the current ZL1 with a ridiculous 7:16 run. In our Lightning Lap track test at Virginia International Raceway, the 1LE’s lap time around the 4.1-mile configuration we use was 4.4 seconds quicker than the ZL1’s.

By Every Measure, the ZL1 1LE Should Cost More Than It Does
The clearest difference between a 1LE and the ZL1—besides, you know, its crazy visage—can be found in each Camaro’s price. Chevrolet charges $7500 for the “1LE Extreme Track Performance package” on top of the ZL1’s $63,795 base price. Given how the ZL1 1LE knocks at the door of the Corvette Z06’s capabilities where the rubber hits the road, we’d say it’s a huge bargain.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
https://html5.dcatalog.com/?docid=00...5604bc#page=24

https://www.gmpartscenter.net/oem-pa...RoCCI4QAvD_BwE

Other Differences:

Take a Deep Breath . . .
For the 1LE, the supercharged LT4 engine does breathe slightly better thanks to optimized grille and intake openings that gulp in 106 cubic feet more air per minute than does the regular ZL1’s front end.

It Doesn’t Just Suck Air, It Punches It
Chevrolet’s aerodynamics team sent the 1LE to a Formula 1 wind tunnel to shape the rear wing and develop the front end’s splitter and dive planes. The result? A claimed 300 pounds of downforce at 150 mph, and a carbon-fiber rear wing that looks incredibly bad-ass.

Awesome Adjustability Comes Standard
In sharp contrast to the regular ZL1, the 1LE offers a clever mechanism by which its front camber geometry can be changed with relative ease. The ball-jointed top mounts for the front struts can be adjusted to increase negative camber by up to 1.7 degrees by jacking up the front end until the tires are off the ground, removing an alignment pin in the wheel well and the three bolts at the top of the strut tower, rotating the entire top mount 180 degrees, and cinching everything back down. Boom, now you have more negative camber that can be made more so (up to -3.7) by way of common eccentric alignment bolts. Setup-savvy buyers also can adjust the rear anti-roll bar to their liking.

Damned Fancy Dampers
Canadian supplier Multimatic provides the 1LE’s exotic aluminum-bodied spool-valve dampers, which are inverted in front to enable significant negative camber even before the top mounts are flipped to their track camber setting. The dampers not only are 23 pounds lighter than the steel-bodied spool-valve dampers in the 2014–2015 Camaro Z/28, but enjoy a broader tuning spectrum than traditional twin-tube dampers. This enabled Chevy's engineers to more precisely match damping performance to their handling goals for the 1LE.

Its Rear Subframe Has Been Doing Squats
In place of the traditional bushings insulating the rear subframe and suspension from the body—like the ZL1 uses—the 1LE gets aluminum pucks. Their lack of give sharpens the rear end’s responses and gives the driver a better feel for available lateral grip. Oh, and you’ll feel every crack in the road, and not only because of the rigid subframe mounts: The springs are three times stiffer than those in the ZL1.

Its Wheels Are Actually Smaller Than the ZL1’s
To reduce rotating inertia and unsprung mass, the 1LE uses 19-inch wheels in place of the ZL1’s 20-inchers, saving 3.3 pounds per corner—about 13 pounds overall

. . . yet Its Tires Are Wider and Stickier Than the ZL1’s
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tires with a compound formulated specially for the 1LE wrap around those lightweight, downsized wheels and produce astounding grip. Sized 305/30ZR up front and 325/30ZR in the rear, the sticky Goodyears pick up pebbles, debris, and whatever else is on the road and slings it into the wheel wells and onto the underbody. They’re also the widest tires ever fitted to a factory Camaro.

Oh, You Wanted an Automatic?
Too bad, you can’t have one, at least not initially. The Camaro ZL1 1LE flagrantly saves the manuals with its sole transmission option: a six-speed manual. Identical to the ’box in the ZL1, the 1LE’s transmission differs only by way of its sixth gear, which is shorter (0.68:1 versus 0.54:1).

Only Slightly Lighter
Can you tell that the rear-window glass is 1.2 millimeters thinner than the ZL1’s? It is, and that about sums up the subtlety with which Chevrolet approached the 1LE’s diet. Combine the glass with a fixed rear seatback that doesn’t fold (as it does on the ZL1) and the lighter-weight wheels and suspension pieces, and the 1LE is 60 pounds lighter than the ZL1. As to why it isn't even lighter, blame the decision to keep the ZL1 1LE vaguely streetable, as opposed to the harder-core 2014–2015 Camaro Z/28 in which air-conditioning and a radio were optional.

It’s Much, Much Faster at the Track Than a ZL1
On Germany’s 12.9-mile-long Nürburgring Nordschleife, the ZL1 1LE turned in a lap time 13.6 seconds faster than the current ZL1 with a ridiculous 7:16 run. In our Lightning Lap track test at Virginia International Raceway, the 1LE’s lap time around the 4.1-mile configuration we use was 4.4 seconds quicker than the ZL1’s.

By Every Measure, the ZL1 1LE Should Cost More Than It Does
The clearest difference between a 1LE and the ZL1—besides, you know, its crazy visage—can be found in each Camaro’s price. Chevrolet charges $7500 for the “1LE Extreme Track Performance package” on top of the ZL1’s $63,795 base price. Given how the ZL1 1LE knocks at the door of the Corvette Z06’s capabilities where the rubber hits the road, we’d say it’s a huge bargain.
Thanks for the links.

The only thing is though, is that the arms and sway bar kit is comparing against a standard SS, not the SS 1LE bushings and stiffness.

I am assuming just by adding the solid rear cradle bushings to my SS 1LE, the arm bushings should be able to handle any additional load they receive.

Worse case, is I move to BMR arms, but I am going to try the cradle solid bushing kit first on its own.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06
Old 08-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #7
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
its no different from the 5th gen.. solid cradle bushing, Spohn or BMR parts with harder bushings and thicker tubular parts with some having spherical bearings that are adjustable

all that improves handling and stiffens the car some weight is added though.

I would even mess with 1le parts go straight to aftermarket parts they are not cast but rather built with round or square tubing.

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
TRZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDFHOBBIES View Post
its no different from the 5th gen.. solid cradle bushing, Spohn or BMR parts with harder bushings and thicker tubular parts with some having spherical bearings that are adjustable

all that improves handling and stiffens the car some weight is added though.

I would even mess with 1le parts go straight to aftermarket parts they are not cast but rather built with round or square tubing.
Regarding your last sentence... I already have the 1LE, I am upgrading my stock SS 1LE.

The point I was making is that the catalog link for the ZL1 1LE arms kit with the description below it, is quoting stiffness increases from the base SS, not the SS 1LE.

I have the SS 1LE, I am adding the ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle puck bushing kit. What I wanted to know was the 1LE bushings in the arms of my car strong enough to handle any increase load that the ZL1 1LE solid bushing kit will add.

Which is why I was asking if the SS 1LE and the ZL1 1LE arm bushings were the same.

Previous:
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
03' C5 Z06