Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 02-04-2021, 01:48 PM   #1
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 a10
Connected Navigation is no Longer a thing?

Spoke with OnStar on how to enable the CONNECTED NAVIGATION (Real-time traffic and point-of-interest updates within your vehicle’s navigation system) and they told me very recently that feature was phased out... lol. Anyone else hear this and/or have/had the connected navigation stuff? Funny, the OnStar plan comparison pdf (https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...lans-Chevy.pdf) still shows this feature listed...
willzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:09 PM   #2
joekd

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS vert
Those aren't through OnStar, they are through SiriusXM, at least on my Cadillac and Camaro they are
joekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:25 PM   #3
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekd View Post
Those aren't through OnStar, they are through SiriusXM, at least on my Cadillac and Camaro they are
Is that something different than this, which is listed on the OnStar services pdf:
CONNECTED NAVIGATION Real-time traffic and point-of-interest updates within your vehicle’s navigation system (if equipped)
PDF (which can be accessed from the https://my.chevrolet.com/shop/onstar compare plans link): https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...lans-Chevy.pdf
Old 02-04-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
len_eng

Drives: 2024 Radiant Red 2SS, 1994 Z28,
I just bought a 2021 2SS with Navigation and the traffic updates are now through OnStar. In my 2018 they were Sirius XM. There is an additional $10 a month package for connected Navigation and it can be had for $100 a year through the internet. It is listed on the OnStar Plans page of the MyChevrolet website. Used to be really easy, but now even using the app on your cell phone starts costing an additional $14.95 a month after the first month. The 2018 had several years of free access. Looks like Onstar is out to get you for everything. I opted out since I already paid the up charge for the Nav system and my cell phone app can be used for free, and the roads have been pretty clear since Covid broke out.
len_eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:59 PM   #5
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by len_eng View Post
I just bought a 2021 2SS with Navigation and the traffic updates are now through OnStar. In my 2018 they were Sirius XM. There is an additional $10 a month package for connected Navigation and it can be had for $100 a year through the internet. It is listed on the OnStar Plans page of the MyChevrolet website. Used to be really easy, but now even using the app on your cell phone starts costing an additional $14.95 a month after the first month. The 2018 had several years of free access. Looks like Onstar is out to get you for everything. I opted out since I already paid the up charge for the Nav system and my cell phone app can be used for free, and the roads have been pretty clear since Covid broke out.
Yeah, I'm going to switch from the onstar max whatever plan down to something less as I don't need the hotspot and it seems onstar nav with the real time traffic is out the door so seems pointless, lol. I have a proclip mount for phone on the way to mount so I can keep eye on waze.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:44 PM   #6
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by len_eng View Post
Hm, the "connected" features are still cheaper via SXM for my 2018... these OnStar changes are disheartening, they also took the remote door lock/unlock feature away from my wife's SUV and want a subscription for that. Didn't BMW get burned recently for trying to charge extra for CarPlay?
Attached Images

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:40 PM   #7
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Hm, the "connected" features are still cheaper via SXM for my 2018... these OnStar changes are disheartening, they also took the remote door lock/unlock feature away from my wife's SUV and want a subscription for that. Didn't BMW get burned recently for trying to charge extra for CarPlay?
How does the nav stuff work? It integrates into the nav for the built in navigation?
Old 02-04-2021, 10:49 PM   #8
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by willzilla View Post
How does the nav stuff work? It integrates into the nav for the built in navigation?
Yes. It provides two things basically, color markup of major routes indicating traffic flow and speed (green/yellow/red), plus various traffic events in the vicinity of the car and/or the current nav route, including optional rerouting.

It's useful, but in all honesty coverage is way inferior compared to google maps, typically only highways have traffic information, and some states are hardly even covered. Mostly fine in NJ/NY/PA/CT where I typically drive.

Now even though a google maps+waze setup is clearly more capable in terms of functionality, looks and update frequency, I prefer the built-in nav because it 1) works very well, 2) fully integrates with infotainment, the cluster (speed limits!) and the HUD (turns and distances without looking away!), and 3) it obviously doesn't need a phone—I can't stand stray wires and micro-USB sockets on devices dying due to constant cable plugging and removal. Also, interestingly, the built-in nav never led me astray, unlike google that I had to use in wife's car a few times.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:32 AM   #9
headgamez

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Now even though a google maps+waze setup is clearly more capable in terms of functionality, looks and update frequency, I prefer the built-in nav because it 1) works very well, 2) fully integrates with infotainment, the cluster (speed limits!) and the HUD (turns and distances without looking away!), and 3) it obviously doesn't need a phone—I can't stand stray wires and micro-USB sockets on devices dying due to constant cable plugging and removal. Also, interestingly, the built-in nav never led me astray, unlike google that I had to use in wife's car a few times.
I second!!
Old 02-05-2021, 09:19 AM   #10
willzilla
D3RPZILLA

Quote:
Yes. It provides two things basically, color markup of major routes indicating traffic flow and speed (green/yellow/red), plus various traffic events in the vicinity of the car and/or the current nav route, including optional rerouting.

It's useful, but in all honesty coverage is way inferior compared to google maps, typically only highways have traffic information, and some states are hardly even covered. Mostly fine in NJ/NY/PA/CT where I typically drive.

Awesome... And yes, that's the main reason I opted for the built in nav feature. Just purchased a pro clip for my phone that clips to the trim near the shifter, may just run waze on that while running nav also on my built in nav system as well, waze for traffic/debris/etc, built in for speeds/etc
Old 02-06-2021, 03:39 PM   #11
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Drives: Lots ;)
So 6th gen wise 2016-2018 is XM based 2019+ is OnStar driven and its still available it just changed packages. Seems its part of a package that includes the on board app support now.

Tags
connected, nav, navigation, onstar