Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 11-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #15
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Sweet and thanks i will let the shop know
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #16
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
The battery, stereo amplifier, and a fuse box are all in the trunk. The left side of the trunk (opposite the right where the battery is installed) will probably have a good amount of room for a subwoofer if you don't mind modifying the wall of the trunk. Then you can maintain all of the original trunk space.

View through the rear seat pass-through:

I was being slightly sarcastic earlier / trying to be the funny guy.

I agree with you. I bet there is quite a bit of empty space behind the wheel well and the trunk liner on the drivers side of the car. I imagine that a company like JL audio will make one of those custom mount boxes.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #17
brutusvk

Drives: future 2016 SS
The JL Stealth Boxes are not as well made as they used to be. Just a heads up. I had to have mine beefed up considerably. They added a bunch of fiberglass and wood supports. The fiberglass actually flexed and leaked when it was stock. It looked fantastic though.
brutusvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #18
GTIanZ28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutusvk View Post
The JL Stealth Boxes are not as well made as they used to be. Just a heads up. I had to have mine beefed up considerably. They added a bunch of fiberglass and wood supports. The fiberglass actually flexed and leaked when it was stock. It looked fantastic though.
Ohh that is good to know. I know they charge a fortune for them.

Not about to try my hand at building a fiberglass enclosure.

Any good companies to look out for to get a box like these?
Old 11-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #19
brutusvk

I am not sure. I may simply have one custom built this time. I had one made by supercrewaudio for my frontier and it is still doing well. Maybe my stereo guys will start making them. (soundxpression) They are exceptional at box building and are usually rated in the top 100 installers in the US. They are good people too. Not sure how much it will cost though. I bet less after I have one built since they will have a template to go with. lol
Old 11-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #20
GTIanZ28

Quote:
I am not sure. I may simply have one custom built this time. I had one made by supercrewaudio for my frontier and it is still doing well. Maybe my stereo guys will start making them. (soundxpression) They are exceptional at box building and are usually rated in the top 100 installers in the US. They are good people too. Not sure how much it will cost though. I bet less after I have one built since they will have a template to go with. lol
How elaborate of a system are you considering? If you are just going for a stealthy 10" sub I'd probably be in on a group buy if they can come up with a nice design. (I'm definitely not opposed to cutting up the trunk liner if needed.)
Old 11-06-2015, 06:29 PM   #21
brutusvk

Two tens. Probably W3 or shallow mounts. I want it to look like it was all meant to be there. I don't want to give up my trunk space either. I will do a 600x1 JL amp. I will spend the majority of the money on a sound processor, dynamat, components in front and coax speakers in the back. I am more of an audiophile than a bass system type.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:57 PM   #22
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
How elaborate of a system are you considering? If you are just going for a stealthy 10" sub I'd probably be in on a group buy if they can come up with a nice design. (I'm definitely not opposed to cutting up the trunk liner if needed.)
I would be in also.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #23
GTIanZ28

Quote:
Two tens. Probably W3 or shallow mounts. I want it to look like it was all meant to be there. I don't want to give up my trunk space either. I will do a 600x1 JL amp. I will spend the majority of the money on a sound processor, dynamat, components in front and coax speakers in the back. I am more of an audiophile than a bass system type.
Yeah you are going far deeper than I. My home system gets my dollars. For the car I went with the upgraded system with the simple hope that it will sound decent..... In a car I always find them a bit more enjoyable with a little sub kick.

No interest in adding weight with a bunch of dynamat. But, with the weights that were already posted the battery has the rear end off balance. Figure a sub drivers side by the rear taillight will equal things out.

I'm still game for a group buy. Will drive down the overall cost we get 10+ interested in buying.

I'll check locally but, I think all the shops are like car toys.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:21 PM   #24
lDejavul

Drives: Camaro SS
would be interested in a group buy as well.
Dual Mode Exhaust
MRC
Splash Guards

1G1FG1R74G0124089
lDejavul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:30 PM   #25
mt3130

Drives: Coupeless :(
Quote:
For the money this is going to cost you, you could do a lot better.

For sound deadener, use Sound Deadener Showdown. It's a great resource for information if you really want to do noise/rattle reduction properly. For the actual CLD tiles, the KnuKonceptz Kno Knoise Kolossus is the best there is, with Sound Deadener Showdowns product a close second.

For the speakers, get good components in the front, and either do nothing in the back, or just add a midbass on each side for rear fill. With a sound processor in the mix, you have the option of mixing/matching raw drivers rather than using boxed component sets and/or running and active setup that gives you full control of all aspects of the sound.

For the subs, a Sundown SA 10 will blow the doors off of a JL 10w3, its cheaper, and the recommended enclosure sizes are smaller. Sundown is known for getting low and loud, but the owner takes great pride in making products that reproduce sound accurately. Another phenomenal option is the SSA GCON: the price is the same as the JL, it uses similar sized enclosures to the JL W3, it has better power handling, gets louder, better sound quality, and each sub is hand made in America!

For the amps, you could get a mono amp and a four channel amp to power both the subs and the components for the price of just the JL mono amp.

If that's what you are set on, and don't mind paying a premium for the JL name, then go for it. If you are just looking for good equipment, I want to let you that you can do soooo much better than JL for the same amount of money (or less). Just check out the car audio forums around the internet if you want to learn more.
mt3130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #26
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
+1 interested.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #27
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt3130 View Post
For the money this is going to cost you, you could do a lot better.

For sound deadener, use Sound Deadener Showdown. It's a great resource for information if you really want to do noise/rattle reduction properly. For the actual CLD tiles, the KnuKonceptz Kno Knoise Kolossus is the best there is, with Sound Deadener Showdowns product a close second.

For the speakers, get good components in the front, and either do nothing in the back, or just add a midbass on each side for rear fill. With a sound processor in the mix, you have the option of mixing/matching raw drivers rather than using boxed component sets and/or running and active setup that gives you full control of all aspects of the sound.

For the subs, a Sundown SA 10 will blow the doors off of a JL 10w3, its cheaper, and the recommended enclosure sizes are smaller. Sundown is known for getting low and loud, but the owner takes great pride in making products that reproduce sound accurately. Another phenomenal option is the SSA GCON: the price is the same as the JL, it uses similar sized enclosures to the JL W3, it has better power handling, gets louder, better sound quality, and each sub is hand made in America!

For the amps, you could get a mono amp and a four channel amp to power both the subs and the components for the price of just the JL mono amp.

If that's what you are set on, and don't mind paying a premium for the JL name, then go for it. If you are just looking for good equipment, I want to let you that you can do soooo much better than JL for the same amount of money (or less). Just check out the car audio forums around the internet if you want to learn more.

I would agree with this argument. As I have been there and done all JL too. Zapco also offers some clean amps. Amazon has become a big player for these unknown professional brands of audio equipment. By the way Look at Zapco's expensive top of the line will murder JL audio. The have a $10k mono amp that people have salivated over for years in the competition series.

I can say I did not enjoy my 300/4 and 500/1 amp with jbl GTI front speakers and rear 12w3. JL audio and Zapco are american made though. A Lot of debate over sundown being chinese made. I know about Zapco because it is made here in Florida.

Last edited by drivingagain; 11-10-2015 at 01:33 PM.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 02:29 AM   #28
GTIanZ28

I just got back from the find new roads tour.

While I wont go so far as to say that a sub isn't needed.

I can say that even with the EQ set flat that there was a lot of bass from the Bose system. If anything it was a little bloated in the low frequencies.

If you just want to add a sub then a sound processor or caps / crossovers will probably be needed to filter out low frequencies from the rest of the speakers.

I didn't attempt to pull the trunk lining, as it appears to be secured quite well, I did eyeball the trunk area and there appears to be a lot of space on the drivers side rear between the wheel well area and the taillight. Might even be over a foot deep. probably won't even need use a shallow mount sub. There is plenty of room for an automotive battery on the opposite side of the trunk.... I think that there is a lot of underutilized space hiding behind the trunk lining.