Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 11-23-2016, 04:56 AM   #71
PWPhoto

Drives: ‘21 2SS 1LE
sorry for it being so long.
PWPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #72
WVaSS

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Grey 2SS M6
I've got a '16 2SS. IMO the sound is "adequate". I must admit that during my initial test drive I never even turned on the radio. I saw "Bose" and figured that it would be a good system. Which I suppose it is, but hardly the best out there. Bass seems a little weak, the soundstage is a bit less distinct than I'd prefer, the presence just doesn't grab you. Now I've seen comments that claim it's a Sirius XM issue, and I use XM a lot in the Camaro. So maybe I need to pay more attention to the CarPlay and other audio more carefully. That being said, the rest of the car more than makes up for any minor audio shortcomings.
WVaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #73
PWPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVaSS View Post
I've got a '16 2SS. IMO the sound is "adequate". I must admit that during my initial test drive I never even turned on the radio. I saw "Bose" and figured that it would be a good system. Which I suppose it is, but hardly the best out there. Bass seems a little weak, the soundstage is a bit less distinct than I'd prefer, the presence just doesn't grab you. Now I've seen comments that claim it's a Sirius XM issue, and I use XM a lot in the Camaro. So maybe I need to pay more attention to the CarPlay and other audio more carefully. That being said, the rest of the car more than makes up for any minor audio shortcomings.

It's not just an issue with Sirius XM. It's the system itself. I listen to FM, SXM and music from my phone and iPod. It all sounds drab and not "up to par" with many other factory systems I've had in the past. I am debating on swapping out my factor speakers for the speaker I bought to do the system in the FRS I used to have, but I'm not sure I want to go thru the hassle of the custom install. The tweeters would have to be mounted on the A pillars along with the 3" comp mids. The door speakers would have to be changed. I would leave the factory 3 1/2" speakers in the dash and have custom pods for the tweeters and kids I have if I go this route. As Far as subs, I would only want one. But that to would be a custom install. I'm getting tired of all the custom stuff. It gets really expensive sometimes. I have been told by professional competition system installers that you never want to bounce mids or highs off the front windshield, yet that is exactly what Chevy did on these cars. Guess they didn't research enough before installing.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:48 PM   #74
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWPhoto View Post
It's the system itself.
With this system no one really knows yet if it's even possible to get a full range signal from the speaker level outs to the 9 speakers. No one has done a frequency spectrum analysis of these feeds. For all we know they may be running 20-120 Hz to the doors and the rest of the speakers may be getting 250 Hz and up. That would leave a pretty big hole in the bass, and it does sound like there may be something missing in that region.
It's always nice to remember that Amar Bose got his patents for psychoacoustics, not loudspeaker accuracy. Do you prefer a Van Gogh painting of wheat fields or a hi-res photo? It ends up being subjective.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #75
MPScan

Drives: 2017 FIFTY VERT MANUAL 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
With this system no one really knows yet if it's even possible to get a full range signal from the speaker level outs to the 9 speakers. No one has done a frequency spectrum analysis of these feeds.
I should have all these answers in three weeks. My new '17 goes in the shop on 12/27 for a week to gut the stock system and completely replace it with a top of the line system. I'm hoping to keep the factory head unit and functionality. The first couple days will be determining when and where to tap the signal as it exists and doing the analysis you mention. Behind that will be a Mosconi DSP, top of the line Focals, custom footwell sub enclosure, etc.
MPScan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 05:35 AM   #76
PWPhoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPScan View Post
I should have all these answers in three weeks. My new '17 goes in the shop on 12/27 for a week to gut the stock system and completely replace it with a top of the line system. I'm hoping to keep the factory head unit and functionality. The first couple days will be determining when and where to tap the signal as it exists and doing the analysis you mention. Behind that will be a Mosconi DSP, top of the line Focals, custom footwell sub enclosure, etc.

Would love to see this install after it is done. I am getting tired of mu system. It just lacks to quality I am used to and I have very little control with it. I want to chsnge out all of my speakers and do new amps for all, but I'm not sure how to tie it all into the stock headunit.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:00 AM   #77
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWPhoto View Post
I want to change out all of my speakers and do new amps for all, but I'm not sure how to tie it all into the stock head unit.
With the 2SS Bose system there are no line level signals to be had. What people have been doing (mainly) is running various combinations of speaker feeds from the Bose amp into a signal processor which sums the channels into full spectrum left and right line levels. From that you amplify with an aftermarket amp (or amps) and drive aftermarket speakers (including trunk-mounted subwoofers) of your choice. Signal processors tend to be pricey gadgets, unfortunately.
Since a 2SS has ANC (active noise cancellation), the system needs to be disabled by disconnecting the microphone inputs to the Bose amp.
Check out this thread for the general idea:
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=463247
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:20 AM   #78
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
MPScan's install is fully documented here: http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479191
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #79
VJChevelle67
The Beast

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro Convertible
Smile Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
I think its pretty darn good. The only thing I miss is a deeper bass frequency. I've thought about adding a single 12inch subwoofer in the trunk but I don't want to give up limited trunk space. I think its good enough to where I'm going to leave it alone. I actually had my dash apart and got a good look at the speakers. They are pretty good actually.
I too think it's ok sound getting older so not a loud as it was years ago music that is. Besides I drive with the top down 90% of the time and still able to listen to my own tunes so I'm happy. Not much room in a convertible for after market subs and amp anyways.
VJChevelle67 is offline   Reply With Quote