Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

Phastek Performance

Old 09-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #15
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverDie View Post
They sell this car with the same front tire width as the ZL1, but without the wider fenders. So if you're looking for an answer to your question about the manufacturer's expectations that should settle it.
Yup, can't have it looking too much like a ZL1.

The things mfg'ers do to differentiate between trim levels is ridiculous. Like the bare plastic knee pads in the 1SS, they intentionally make the car look like an econo model vs the 2SS but it only saves them something like $20.
Old 09-30-2019, 05:14 PM   #16
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
With the skirts installed do they reduce the clearance for a floor jack?
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:48 PM   #17
Raven 1le

Drives: Chevrolet Tahoe, camaro ss1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I just got the ACS rockers and front guards. My car is going to the body shop to fix some minor damage caused by someone backing into my car while it was parked... they will paint it "trim black" and install.

The sides of my car and especially the area in front of the rear wheels has been sandblasted over the last year, luckily I applied PPF but will have to r&r the PPF before install and I hope the guards will keep the rocks away.

I honestly can't believe Chevy would sell the SS 1LE without them, do they just expect us to be fine with the issue? The factory PPF in this area is a joke and even with PPF the paint is going to get damaged eventually. I think these side skirts/rockers and rock guards are mandatory for anyone who cares about maintaining the paint on their car.
I feel ya, even with rock guards and rockers front of rear wheels still gets blasted, not as much but you can hear them hitting if you happens to drive thru a dirty road, my car is black, has 2k miles and I still see small chips above factory ppf, which is useless. I have resigned my self to painting panels when it’s bad enough that I can’t bare it. Should not happen to a new car.
Raven 1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:51 PM   #18
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Only Marginally. The factory rockers extend far enough in that there is much clearance around the pinch welds. The skirts I picked up(ACS ZL1 skirts) are only lower because they extend equally far down and mount to the surface of the rockers.

So the answer is yes, but only by the thickness on the rocker material.
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:12 PM   #19
Anom1LE

Drives: 18' 2SS 1LE, 94' Z28
I am running ZL1 skirts with GM rock guards. I will share some pics here soon. Gonna grab some fall pics.

1994 Z28 - Direct Port Nitrous - Multi Magazine Feature Camaro Z28
Anom1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 12:17 AM   #20
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Not the vertical, but the horizontal, which makes getting the pucks in there a little harder, assuming you have a low-profile floor jack. I can still change wheels myself, it's not the end of the world, but it makes it a little challenging for sure. On a scale of 1-10 I give it 1-2 for an experienced mechanic, 3-4 for a barely-knows-a-wrench mechanic. Not terribly hard or complicated, take your time and make sure you are using a low-pro jack. 10 was changing out steering bushings on my subaru, freaking impossible space to work with...

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:28 AM   #21
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Yup, can't have it looking too much like a ZL1.
Between the "nice ZL1 comments" and the Mustang GTs that pull up quickly but then drive off quietly when they get a close look at the car, I realize people still confuse it for a ZL1. They may as well have given us the side rockers and the wrapped knee pads lol.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #22
1LEThumper

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
How much wider are the front fenders on the ZL1 to the SS? Would it still take the same front nose piece as the SS? I guess I never had them parked side by side to tell. At least it isn't as noticeable to me as say a base C6 to a C6 Z06.
1LEThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #23
1LEThumper

Finally got it cleaned up, out in the sun with some better shots of the skirts on it.

Old 10-23-2019, 10:48 PM   #24
greg0ry

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
I got the zl1addons rock guard combines with extremeonlinestore zl1 style side skirts. They mesh perfectly, like tetris pieces. The only problem with the sideskirts is that they are not totally even in length but the naked eye cannot see. same with a small gap but again, the naked eye cannot see. Thew side skirts ran me 218$ usd in primer and i painted them myself. They look good but if you look close and hard you can notice the imperfections
greg0ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:47 AM   #25
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
I have C7 Carbon's skirts ready to install.

Question to those who already installed theirs:

Bolting or riveting requires drilling, correct?

If so, to which part is the drilling done on the car? Is it the plastic side under-cover, or is it necessary to actually drill into the frame's metal and bolt/rivet there?
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #26
1LEThumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
I have C7 Carbon's skirts ready to install.

Question to those who already installed theirs:

Bolting or riveting requires drilling, correct?

If so, to which part is the drilling done on the car? Is it the plastic side under-cover, or is it necessary to actually drill into the frame's metal and bolt/rivet there?

GM used Rivets in all of the Corvette's and they have a special rivet they use to do it..which was nice to see in the ACS kit.

Everything goes into that lower plastic piece, you don't go into any metal when you do it. At least not with ACS. Yes you have to drill it.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:09 PM   #27
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEThumper View Post
GM used Rivets in all of the Corvette's and they have a special rivet they use to do it..which was nice to see in the ACS kit.

Everything goes into that lower plastic piece, you don't go into any metal when you do it. At least not with ACS. Yes you have to drill it.
Thanks for the input and your 1LE's color is the nicest I have seen
Would be my first choice had it been available back when I ordered mine.

I guess that the rivets / screws using the C7 Carbon skirts would also attach to the plastic part and not to the metal frame.

Anyone who installed, or knows how it works with C7 Carbon - Post your experience.
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 03:57 PM   #28
Garion1076
IG: @velveteen_camaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anom1LE View Post
I am running ZL1 skirts with GM rock guards. I will share some pics here soon. Gonna grab some fall pics.
Hi, if you posted your pics of the ZL1 sideskirts and GM rock guards elsewhere (another thread?), would you kindly send me the link? Thanks!!