Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-05-2024, 09:31 AM   #15
david_acm

Drives: LT1
Installed them a few weeks ago. I personally love the look over the black plastic ones.

For me the most difficult part of the installation was the wiring bit because I am not dexterous enough to handle such a small wire in a tiny space. That said, swapping the included wire crimp connector for some quick disconnects I had lying around made it exponentially easier to work with.
david_acm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:39 AM   #16
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Durant View Post
Looks to me like you gotta cut and tie into a wire or two. And even getting it neatly up there seems involved, shame GM did not just pre-wire the car with a harness under the front seats.

I called my local dealer to see if I might get lucky on a descent install price, everyone sitting down ?

Dealer said I need to get parts via them at $350, youch since I found other online sources for $256.00 and I was hoping for a $150 install, nope $300.00

So total cost $600.00 plus tax, really close to $700.00 Oh well, the black plastic is looking really good now -
When I had my 1ss my wife ordered them online for me as a gift. I then paid my local mechanic less than $150 to install them. I have no wiring skills but I am very confident in saying it requires very basic wiring skills that your trusted local mechanic can do for you. They installed the sills, did the wiring and tucked everything away very nicely all for less than $150.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:32 AM   #17
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:
Looks to me like you gotta cut and tie into a wire or two. And even getting it neatly up there seems involved, shame GM did not just pre-wire the car with a harness under the front seats.

I called my local dealer to see if I might get lucky on a descent install price, everyone sitting down ?

Dealer said I need to get parts via them at $350, youch since I found other online sources for $256.00 and I was hoping for a $150 install, nope $300.00

So total cost $600.00 plus tax, really close to $700.00 Oh well, the black plastic is looking really good now -
It may sound intimidating but the install is not difficult at all. Just watch the install video a few times to familiarize yourself with the procedure. You'll be just fine.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 10:49 AM   #18
paradigm

Drives: 2022 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I see many people selling them however with just the short pigtails, not the longer harness to under the driver dash.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:00 AM   #19
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
I see many people selling them however with just the short pigtails, not the longer harness to under the driver dash.
The OEM ones cost more, but you eliminate any fitment issues, such as short pigtails.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:34 PM   #20
Anjilslaire

Drives: 2021 3LT RS A10
they came on mine and I appreciate them, but wouldn't pay $300 for them again if not already on the car.
Anjilslaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 05:04 PM   #21
Chris Durant

Drives: 2023 Vivid Orange Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSShark View Post
It may sound intimidating but the install is not difficult at all. Just watch the install video a few times to familiarize yourself with the procedure. You'll be just fine.
Thanks for taking the time to write this, it just makes me fell better about trying it. Now I search for a coupon or something to lower the new get in cost :-)

Everyone's input have been great, this one just resonated ?
Chris Durant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 05:20 PM   #22
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
Before I bought a pair of the sills off Facebook for $50 and made my own harness following the wiring linked previously, total less then $75
When I say I made my harness I bought doorbell wire and copied the harness from the install pdf. Probably the one thing they have that is solely a positive and negative wire and nothing else
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 06:03 PM   #23
SSShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumbleboy92 View Post
When I say I made my harness I bought doorbell wire and copied the harness from the install pdf. Probably the one thing they have that is solely a positive and negative wire and nothing else
Very nice indeed!! I'm pretty handy but I don't know that I would have attempted that.
Old 01-24-2024, 06:33 PM   #24
Chris Durant

We are about to do this install, do we need to disconnet the battery or not before we play with wiring ? The only thing I did not see a note on. If anyone knows for sure, let me know and thanks for all the info so far. Got the sills off some GM site for $250.00 New
Old 01-24-2024, 06:37 PM   #25
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
We are about to do this install, do we need to disconnet the battery or not before we play with wiring ? The only thing I did not see a note on. If anyone knows for sure, let me know and thanks for all the info so far. Got the sills off some GM site for $250.00 New
It’s always a good idea to disconnect the battery when working on any of the electrical, these cars are very temperamental.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 09:18 PM   #26
Hyper Blue RS

Drives: Camaro RS
Bought mine new at a Black Friday sale and finally got around to installing today. A little cumbersome bc of the carpet and small wire crimping but the look is 1000x better.
Hyper Blue RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 11:31 PM   #27
Chris Durant

Not Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Blue RS View Post
Bought mine new at a Black Friday sale and finally got around to installing today. A little cumbersome bc of the carpet and small wire crimping but the look is 1000x better.
Still thinking on it, just looks like such a scary to me job when it comes to the carpet and wiring mess of it. Also I am 65 and not in the best shape anymore, oh well, I like looking at them :-) in the box, lol
Old 03-24-2024, 06:35 PM   #28
Bulldog13

Drives: 2013 Camaro
How disconnect connector in lighted door sill plate kit?

Hi, I'm installing this lighted door sill plate kit (P/N 84127637) in my 2023 Camaro. I hooked everything up before I installed the plates to make sure it worked OK, which it did. So now I need to disconnect the connectors so I can feed them underneath the weatherstripping and install the door sill plates, but I can't get them to disconnect (see attached photo). They have this red sliding piece on top and I have tried moving it back and forth, even just sliding it halfway, and it will not unplug. I'm sure it's something simple, but I can't seem to figure it out. Can anyone provide some guidance? Thanks!
Attached Images

Bulldog13 is offline   Reply With Quote