Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-18-2021, 06:30 PM   #57
madmaxnj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
I actually remember the last time camaro’s got discontinued, they continued to depreciate. No one seemed to want them back then even though they were significantly better than equal year Mustangs and still better than the s197 mustang when it came out. I’m hoping the same thing happens when the car gets discontinued and the chip shortage is done with. Yes 4th Gen values have skyrocketed recently but so has every other sports car from the 90’s and 00’s that were good performance cars for their time.

I do agree with what you said about inflation but inflation alone isn’t why they are up about 20% in price. So yes they might never drop to as low as they were before but I think it will get close. My prediction is late summer/fall 2023 values of used cars will start to drop and should “normalize” (and adjust for inflation) by 2024. Im okay with this because the end of 2024 is when my warranty is up and when I’d be looking for a used zl1. Also the people who overpaid the last year and next year are going to probably have to suck it up and take the hit when dealers are no longer offering top value for trade ins once they finally have new car inventory.
This. When they were discontinued in 2002 I bought a used pickup truck as my daily and planned to keep my first new car, a loaded 98 Z28, forever. In 2006 I sold it for 11K, KBB resell was 8.5K, but it was in mint condition with 60k mi. I was very lucky to find an enthusiast that wanted that car in that condition. What is happening now in the used car market is a major anomaly. I sold in 2006 to buy the C6 convertible.

For me, the SS was a 3rd car luxury, and I think I got it pretty good deal at $32K+tax for CPO with 11K mi on it. Driving it for 3 seasons and selling at a gain, or keep for a couple of more years and likely sell at a big loss. The only way I would regret not sell it now for a gain would be if I decide that I don't like the C8. But even then I"d still have the C6, and I can put a blower on that if I got truly bored.
madmaxnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:08 PM   #58
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Bit of a thread drift here, but I'm getting so sick of the scams when trying to sell.
I have my Vert listed and it's listed high, I know it. I don't need to sell it. I don't really want to sell it. If I can get the crazy money I'll sell because I only put 1000 miles on it this past summer and I'll probably do less next year. I probably shouldn't have bought it considering my summer activity is really sailing, and I do a 1000+ mile trip every summer, but I digress...
Could have sold it in May for just a couple thousand less than I have it listed for now, but wife convinced me we didn't need the money and to just keep it (after not being very happy when I bought it to begin with!).

Anyway...
Seems all the responses I get are similar. All via text, no one will take a call or do via a legit-seeming email (if they do provide an email it's clearly some random-generated email address). They all say they're too busy to look at the car, but will send me a check via USPS and arrange to have the car shipped after I get the check. I just need to provide them all my personal info. The latest scam is someone demanding I get a "GAR Report" whatever that is, and sending me a suspicious-looking link to it, and telling me not to use PayPal or Venmo to pay for it because it "delays the report". Yeah, okay, I'll use a CC which can then be used for whatever else! Sheesh!

I did have one guy call locally but what a yo-yo. Said he was in my city and wanted to take a look, but when pressed where he was he seemed confused and was actually 10 miles away (if he was actually even THERE!). Asked me if the car was modified in any way and when I said no, he argued that I should have modified the car because he wants a modified car. After talking with this moron awhile, I just told him I wasn't interested in selling to him and hung up.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #59
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
Bit of a thread drift here, but I'm getting so sick of the scams when trying to sell.
I have my Vert listed and it's listed high, I know it. I don't need to sell it. I don't really want to sell it. If I can get the crazy money I'll sell because I only put 1000 miles on it this past summer and I'll probably do less next year. I probably shouldn't have bought it considering my summer activity is really sailing, and I do a 1000+ mile trip every summer, but I digress...
Could have sold it in May for just a couple thousand less than I have it listed for now, but wife convinced me we didn't need the money and to just keep it (after not being very happy when I bought it to begin with!).

Anyway...
Seems all the responses I get are similar. All via text, no one will take a call or do via a legit-seeming email (if they do provide an email it's clearly some random-generated email address). They all say they're too busy to look at the car, but will send me a check via USPS and arrange to have the car shipped after I get the check. I just need to provide them all my personal info. The latest scam is someone demanding I get a "GAR Report" whatever that is, and sending me a suspicious-looking link to it, and telling me not to use PayPal or Venmo to pay for it because it "delays the report". Yeah, okay, I'll use a CC which can then be used for whatever else! Sheesh!

I did have one guy call locally but what a yo-yo. Said he was in my city and wanted to take a look, but when pressed where he was he seemed confused and was actually 10 miles away (if he was actually even THERE!). Asked me if the car was modified in any way and when I said no, he argued that I should have modified the car because he wants a modified car. After talking with this moron awhile, I just told him I wasn't interested in selling to him and hung up.

Get in touch with some local dealers or the online retailers like Carmax, Vroom, etc. Get a few quotes and let it go to the highest one. If you have it listed on Craigslist, Marketplace, etc... Yep, you'll have to weed through the scams. I see you are in the northern snow belt states too. Bad time to be selling a sports car or motorcycle.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:26 PM   #60
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Get in touch with some local dealers or the online retailers like Carmax, Vroom, etc. Get a few quotes and let it go to the highest one. If you have it listed on Craigslist, Marketplace, etc... Yep, you'll have to weed through the scams. I see you are in the northern snow belt states too. Bad time to be selling a sports car or motorcycle.
It's on Autotrader. Carvana offered me 34-something today. Just did it for giggles. Not selling a showroom-new car with 5500 miles for that!

In the process now of selling MIL's '17 RAV4 to Carvana, though. Toyota dealer offered 22.5 today. Carvana offer is 25.2! She bought it new in '17 for 28.3. 42k miles and in excellent shape. Vroom's offer on that car was 22 and change as well.

Crazy times
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:43 PM   #61
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
No!...Selling has never crossed my mind.
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:01 PM   #62
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post

Anyway...

This is why you sell to Carmax, Carvana, Vroom, etc. Let them deal with all the nonsense. You will make a little less but if you are trading the car for another you often save on the sales tax to help make up for it.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:17 PM   #63
khcoaching

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
I'd absolutely sell mine, for what I have in it - AND - if I could find a ZLE to replace it.
khcoaching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:25 PM   #64
jeffinstl

Drives: 17 ZL1 A10 vert, 20 Jeep Wrangler
Bought my 17 ZL1 convertible in May 2019, drove it for two years, and sold in in May for $2k more than I paid. I miss it, but I’m ok waiting the bubble out.
jeffinstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 04:03 PM   #65
madmaxnj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
OP here, going through the process now selling to Vroom. I had all low ballers on Marketplace. 2-3K under KBB person to person sale price. So I put it on Craigslist and right away had a local flipper calling me. Really obnoxious, "your car will never be worth more than it is right now". Then a guy contacted me through Craigslist that I thought was a scammer. I didn't respond. A couple of days later he emails me again, asking for my cell. Okay, I'll play along. Starts playing 20 questions. Tells me he works for a major reseller. I tell him they probably wont' offer what I want, but I'll play along. Answer all the questions and he hits me with the highest offer so far. A few hundred less that what I was hoping to get person to person. It was Vroom. I never heard of them, so did a bit of research here and other places. I couldn't find an example of anyone getting screwed selling them a car. So I stripped my personal effects from the car today and I'll expect a call from the transporter on Friday or so.
madmaxnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:52 PM   #66
raptor5244

The funny thing is I just bought a 2021 ZL1 for only $500 MSRP and KBB says my car is worth $2k more on trade-in. I am thinking the market for our cars will be in early Spring and remain fairly strong since I don't think Chevy will be building a lot of Camaros anyway. They will be focused on the more profitable trucks, SUVs and Corvettes.

Come summer next year it will be a wait and see of what is revealed for enthusiasts. New Nissan Z and C8 Z06 will be marked up like crazy and hard to get. Then it is a wait and see for Dodge "eMuscle" or whatever performance EV Chevy has in store. It is tough enough to buy any first year model vehicle yet alone their first venture on all new platforms, software, battery tech, etc. I am not sure I would buy one in the first year or two anyway.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 11-24-2021, 08:03 PM   #67
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
In a weird spot now actually. Have the 19 2SS plus the C8 from earlier this year. Work just bought me a DD plus expenses. Toyed with selling the 2SS but have had 6 figure offers for the C8. That's $20k over what we payed. So now I'm thinking of maybe selling the C8, and ordering a Z06 perhaps. I honestly don't know what we're going to do. We already on the ZO6 waitlist, but we did the same thing with the C8 not knowing if we would actually buy it. That turned out to be a good move.
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:06 PM   #68
raptor5244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqwert6 View Post
In a weird spot now actually. Have the 19 2SS plus the C8 from earlier this year. Work just bought me a DD plus expenses. Toyed with selling the 2SS but have had 6 figure offers for the C8. That's $20k over what we payed. So now I'm thinking of maybe selling the C8, and ordering a Z06 perhaps. I honestly don't know what we're going to do. We already on the ZO6 waitlist, but we did the same thing with the C8 not knowing if we would actually buy it. That turned out to be a good move.
Sell them all, fly to Vegas and put it all on black.
2019 Tesla Model 3
Old 11-24-2021, 09:11 PM   #69
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Negative. It’s the coolest car I’ve ever owned.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:47 PM   #70
Zaqwert6

Drives: 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
Sell them all, fly to Vegas and put it all on black.

That's a thought, going next month for Xmas/NYE.

Let it ride!!
Zaqwert6 is offline   Reply With Quote