Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-31-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Some frequency measurements for Bose 6x9 speakers

I have the Bose in the 2SS. Pretty sure I am going to install a sub soon. Some respected members here have debated whether the door 6x9's or those in the parcel shelf are the better choice for signal. I wanted to find out if one might be better. They are identical speakers going by part number.
I used an android app called ToneGen over Bluetooth and the fader control in the car. That and my ears.
The test was done with the car not running.
Both pairs of 6x9's have the same frequency response, 40-200 Hz.
At 20 and 32 Hz I got no output from the 6x9's. Same with 250 and above.
The only difference I can hear is the obvious one, the volume is heavily biased to the front.
That being the case, I would think the front 6x9 signals would have a better signal/noise ratio than the rear and be a better choice for a subwoofer amp.
Next I'm going to do some measurements listening to the 100-150 Hz range to see what the ANC is actually doing and which 6x9's are responsible for the cancellation tone. I'm thinking it's possible the cancellation tone might not be sent to the rear 6x9's, since those speakers are absent in the convertibles. If that turns out to be the case, it should be possible to feed a sub with the rear 6x9 signal and retain ANC, chimes, and automatic volume control.
Also I want to see if any of these "features" roll off the bass once the car is moving or the volume is turned up. There are differing reports here as to whether any of that is going on.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:16 PM   #2
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Nice work, interested to see what you find out about ANC.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
ctrlz, I think we talked offline about the 6x9 response going lower than 40 Hz. If you are measuring the response with an iPhone 6 or 7, your phone's microphone is the limitation in the measurement.
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
ctrlz, I think we talked offline about the 6x9 response going lower than 40 Hz. If you are measuring the response with an iPhone 6 or 7, your phone's microphone is the limitation in the measurement.
I was playing test tones using a phone app and using my ears as the "microphones." The app I used is for android and is called ToneGen. I played the tones over Bluetooth.
At the low end, the app has presets for sine waves at 25, 31, 40, and 50 Hz. To my ear, there is substantial drop-off in volume for both sets of 6x9's below 40 Hz.
I'm not saying this a scientific measurement by any means, just what I have available.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:55 AM   #5
Gilley

Drives: 16 Red Hot 2SS
If you connect to the sub output at the Bose amp be aware that the wire pin out diagram has polarity reversed on one side. I don't recall which side right now.