Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 11-29-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
GUDY213

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1 ss, MRC, Dual Exhaust
Camaro SS vs BMW M2 drag race

This guy cant drag race for s#it!!!

GUDY213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
cleoent

Drives: 16' Camaro E-Force SS
It's not that he can't drive, it's that he doesn't know the car.

From what I can tell, he's not in competition mode, which means he's not using launch control (you can see traction control being very intrusive).

m2 is a super nice car though.
cleoent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:00 PM   #3
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
It lists SS's 0-60 at 5 sec. That's V6

It's supposed to be 3.9
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:51 PM   #4
jdasnt3

Drives: 18 Silverado 1500
They did a roll and the Camaro driver was using the tap shifts... slowest way to drive it. Still walked the BMW though.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:59 PM   #5
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
If you watch the entire video, they say the M2 has launch control and the Camaro DOES NOT. So they dont know the car. The M2 driver says the Camaro was winning from dead stop until he learned how to use the launch control on the M2.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:23 PM   #6
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
No care.. its the 50th.. great to have vid
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:05 AM   #7
thescout6

Drives: 16 2SS
Crap just posted a new thread about this. Well here is a copy of what I said:

Thought you guys might enjoy the video in this thread over on the bimmer forums and the hilarity that ensued trying to justify their sunk cost.

Drag Race BMW M2 vs Chevrolet Camaro SS 2017 http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1328645

The M2 is a phenomenal car, but the Camaro is clearly a more superior car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thescout6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:09 AM   #8
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I was on the waiting list for an M2 but switched to the M2 CS list which will have the twin turbo M4 engine. (Not because of this thread, lol) Planning to order a 1LE when they remove the PDR constraint.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 01:36 AM   #9
thescout6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyUMad1LE View Post
I was on the waiting list for an M2 but switched to the M2 CS list which will have the twin turbo M4 engine. (Not because of this thread, lol) Planning to order a 1LE when they remove the PDR constraint.

Nice! The M2 CS will be a beast for sure.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:42 AM   #10
OddJack

Drives: Submarine
The camaro guy could do better, but let's face it: SS is too bulky and too heavy to be serious race material. A Boxster will take it, closely priced.

People are buying for the aggressive Looks and the brand and the family history more, I think, than the power and racing capabilities. I know I am buying on looks. I test drove the 5th gen when it came out but never really considered buying one. 6th gen is best looking Camaro since the 3rd gen.

BTW, neither the Boxster or M2 are serious race material either. Street cars they all are.

Last edited by OddJack; 11-30-2016 at 10:10 AM.
OddJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #11
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
It's not like the M2 is very light. Let's face it people buy these as street cars.
Both are very fast for the street. The M2 can also easily be tweaked for more power by turning up the boost. M2 will have a nicer interior and is a physically smaller car with short wheelbase so it will naturally be more nimble on a twisty road or tight sections of a track.

I would love to have one. Would I trade straight across for my SS even tho it's only worth 2/3 the M2 cost wise ? Maybe if I had a coupe. But as a vert I prefer the Camaro size and driving nature. And I am much more of a V8 guy. Daily driver is a E39 M5.
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:12 AM   #12
MuhThugga
Poppycock

Drives: Pontiac GTO
If you just mash the gas and let the tires roast, then you'll even lose to a Prius.
MuhThugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #13
thescout6

Camaro SS vs BMW M2 drag race

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddJack View Post
The camaro guy could do better, but let's face it: SS is too bulky and too heavy to be serious race material. A Boxster will take it, closely priced.

People are buying for the aggressive Looks and the brand and the family history more, I think, than the power and racing capabilities. I know I am buying on looks. I test drove the 5th gen when it came out but never really considered buying one. 6th gen is best looking Camaro since the 3rd gen.

BTW, neither the Boxster or M2 are serious race material either. Street cars they all are.

What? This has to be one of the most misguided posts I've seen in a while. I would safely say a good amount of people who are buying a Camaro and an M2 are buying them for their power and racing capabilities. Why the hell would you spend this much money if you weren't? Go to any track day and you will see them flooded with these types of cars, all can put up serious times, and all can "race." Also I don't think I have EVER seen a "boxster" at the track. Ever. Cayman, yes. 911, yes. But never a boxster (a convertible) in my over 40 track days.

In addition, "a boxster will take it"? What in bloody hell are you smoking? Even if I give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are talking about the current generation 718 boxster S (the faster one if you weren't aware), it is not even close. The Camaro has 100 more HP and TQ, half a second faster to 60, and faster around literally every track. And not to mention that the M2 is also faster than the boxster.

Hell the Camaro can hold its own against the 911 on the track and the road.

I guess I'm wondering what the hell you are talking about? But then again I often wonder about that from emblem chasers and those who buy just for "looks." The thing is that it's hard to take you seriously when you have only driven a nearly 30 year old car for the past 27 years. I don't mean to "wealth shame" you, everyone has different financial situations. But take it from those of us who have had the opportunity to try out all the different and new technology on these various cars it carries more credibility - you are just stuck in 1989 dude, wake up.

Last edited by thescout6; 11-30-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:10 PM   #14
TMasticTB91
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: '16 Hyper Blue 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout6 View Post
What? This has to be one of the most misguided posts I've seen in a while. I would safely say a good amount of people who are buying a Camaro and an M2 are buying them for their power and racing capabilities. Why the hell would you spend this much money if you weren't? Go to any track day and you will see them flooded with these types of cars, all can put up serious times, and all can "race." Also I don't think I have EVER seen a "boxster" at the track. Ever. Cayman, yes. 911, yes. But never a boxster (a convertible) in my over 40 track days.

In addition, "a boxster will take it"? What in bloody hell are you smoking? Even if I give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are talking about the current generation 718 boxster S (the faster one if you weren't aware), it is not even close. The Camaro has 100 more HP and TQ, half a second faster to 60, and faster around literally every track. And not to mention that the M2 is also faster than the boxster.

Hell the Camaro can hold its own against the 911 on the track and the road.

I guess I'm wondering what the hell you are talking about? But then again I often wonder about that from emblem chasers and those who buy just for "looks." The thing is that it's hard to take you seriously when you have only driven a nearly 30 year old car for the bast 27 years. Take it from those who have had the opportunity to try out all the different and new technology on these various cars - you are stuck on 1989 dude, wake up.