Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-02-2015, 08:56 PM   #1
DMR2

Drives: 2015 Commemorative Edition 2SS/RS
Windshield Issues

Not sure where to post this... I have a 2015 Camaro... not even 4000 miles on it but while driving on the highway, a rock or something from an 18 wheeler I was passing flew up and hit the windshield. The windshield cracked straight across the glass after a few days.

Anyway - after dealing with the insurance company, I have Safelite coming out on Saturday to replace it. I asked them and confirmed with them to make sure it was compatible with the Heads Up Display. They assured me it was - but they also told me the windshield is not a GM or Chevrolet windshield... just one of their brands they use... either way... I'm not too worried about it as long as the new windshield fits and works just like the original one especially with the HUD.

Was curious if anyone else has had their windshield replaced by Safelite and what results you had. Thanks.
DMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #2
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Tip the installer before he starts, it will help make sure he takes his time and does it right. They get paid by the job, the more they can do in the day the more they make. I've seen a few installers do less than adequate jobs and have leaks. A lot take pride in their work, but the tip will help take some of the hustle out of it and make the installer want to do you right.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #3
CRF8
Scenic City Camaro

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL-1 /1974 Firebird 400
My safelight guy was professional and cleaned up the car when he was done. I don't know about it being compatible with HUD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
The windshield company knows from your VIN exactly which windshield is needed, so no worries about HUD compatibility.

But why not insist on an OEM windshield? Your insurance should cover that on a car that is 3 years old or less, even though it's as much as double the price.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #5
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
I had Safelite replace mine. I took it to them as I could schedule the appointment sooner this way.

They did a great job, HUD is clear, no noise. While the windshield itself does not have the GM logo, it is made by the OEM.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
DMR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
I had Safelite replace mine. I took it to them as I could schedule the appointment sooner this way.

They did a great job, HUD is clear, no noise. While the windshield itself does not have the GM logo, it is made by the OEM.
Thank you, MrChrisLS3... that's what I was hoping to hear. They'll be out to my house tomorrow morning sometime, so we shall see how it all goes.

Thank you all for the responses!!
Old 12-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
DMR2

Well that went horribly wrong today... Safelite showed up but the new windshield turned out to be the wrong windshield. They told me I need one with a remote start.

I told him I did't have remote start on my car as it's a manual... yet he said it does... so I'm confused.

He showed me in the car the black box thing with wires plugged into it - to the right of the rear view mirror and said that was the remote start box... so I need a windshield for a car with remote start - even thought I don't have remote start.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #8
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMR2 View Post
Well that went horribly wrong today... Safelite showed up but the new windshield turned out to be the wrong windshield. They told me I need one with a remote start.

I told him I did't have remote start on my car as it's a manual... yet he said it does... so I'm confused.

He showed me in the car the black box thing with wires plugged into it - to the right of the rear view mirror and said that was the remote start box... so I need a windshield for a car with remote start - even thought I don't have remote start.
Why not get your windshield replaced at a dealer?

BTW, when you first called Safelite, did they ask for your VIN? That's all they should need to deliver the right windshield.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:58 PM   #9
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:

Strange. Mine didn't have the box, but I'm in a 2011. I guess, perhaps their policy is to replace exactly as it was, for their own warranty. I'd check with a dealer service dept. and see what they say about it.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:55 PM   #10
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post

BTW, when you first called Safelite, did they ask for your VIN? That's all they should need to deliver the right windshield.
Generally dealers don't replace windshields. They just call a local glass shop
that does nothing but glass work. Same with top and upholstery work.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:19 PM   #11
DMR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post

No... they never asked for it. Originally I was connected to them by my insurance company and Safelite did ask if it had the HUD... I told them "yes" and they asked if I had remote start... I said "no".

So because of that... they brought a windshield out for a HUD but not for the remote start.

They got the VIN on Saturday when they came out and realized they had the wrong windshield.

After doing some searches on here... turns out... the 2014/15 models had the remote door lock electronic box - moved from under the dash - and combined with the remote start box and then mounted on the windshield. For the manual cars... the remote start is disabled - but the electronics box is still there because it is also the remote door lock box.

So... if you have a 2014/15 model... and you have to replace your windshield - and if your car is a manual and doesn't have the remote start... say "yes" if asked if you do.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:18 PM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
Generally dealers don't replace windshields. They just call a local glass shop
that does nothing but glass work. Same with top and upholstery work.
Quite right. But they will know to ask for the VIN. Safelite is the Jiffylube of glass shops.

Quote:
No... they never asked for it. Originally I was connected to them by my insurance company and Safelite did ask if it had the HUD... I told them "yes" and they asked if I had remote start... I said "no".

So because of that... they brought a windshield out for a HUD but not for the remote start.

They got the VIN on Saturday when they came out and realized they had the wrong windshield.

After doing some searches on here... turns out... the 2014/15 models had the remote door lock electronic box - moved from under the dash - and combined with the remote start box and then mounted on the windshield. For the manual cars... the remote start is disabled - but the electronics box is still there because it is also the remote door lock box.

So... if you have a 2014/15 model... and you have to replace your windshield - and if your car is a manual and doesn't have the remote start... say "yes" if asked if you do.

Any glass shop that doesn't ask for the VIN are idiots. I have had my Camaro's windshield replaced twice so far. They have asked for the VIN both times. Ditto the other 5 or 6 windshields that have been replaced on other cars I have owned.