Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-01-2021, 03:36 PM   #1
Silent_Edge

Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro
Should I be concerned about this part under the car?

I was swapping out my regular tires for winter, and it was my first time doing so. I didn't have any issues with the front set--but when it came to the rear, I picked up the idiot ball and "assumed" where the jack point was for one side... started jacking the car up, heard cracking and thought nothing of it.

Before I could override my senses, I had lifted the car--looked under, immediately saw the bent part and quickly lowered the car before any more damage could be done. I proceeded to get it right the next time, and for the last wheel--but the damage was still fresh in my mind...

My question is, in the images below--is there anything to be concerned with? It's about right where the rear passenger feet would rest on the right side. I don't know what that part is for, but I sure as hell am not going to do that again... Lesson learned, as it's a great way to start off 2021.

The first image is the driver's side, what it would look like before it got deformed. It looks like there's two per side. The other three images are from the passenger side, the one I screwed up.
Attached Images

Silent_Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 06:34 PM   #2
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
As long as it does not leak while driving on wet roads or put a hump in floor on the inside you will be fine. I’m sure you are not the only one with that on their car.
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:30 PM   #3
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Mine are the same. I now have a set of lift pads so they don't get worse.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #4
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Those are not where you lift any car, those are the weakest part of a car.
Those are holes in the floorboard with plastic plugs. They are used when the car gets water in it, you pull the plugs.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:20 PM   #5
Silent_Edge

Drives: 2010 2LT Camaro
Thanks for the re-assurance, guys. I learned that out the hard way. Is that really what they're used for? Is there an official name for these things?
Silent_Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 06:17 AM   #6
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Not having a huge solid frame that most vehicle had years ago it becomes difficult to know where to place the jack. To many times we ASS U ME we know when in fact we haven't taken the time to read the manual.

Thankfully you "should" be OK, as previously stated watch for any leaks.

I "highly recommend" a set of lift pads. I installed a set when I first purchased my Camaro, makes life so much easier! Not just for me but for the dealer and anyone else that ever has a chance to work on my car.

By the way, I have checked my lift pads several times and NEVER once have they loosed up!

Really a great investment my friend.

Happy New Year.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2021, 09:44 AM   #7
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
+1 on the ZL1 jack pads. I purchased the magnet type. Lifting the vehicle is now SO much easier.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2021, 11:39 AM   #8
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Pads nice ... But metal to metal ...? I don't think that would be perfectly fine.

I use hard rubber pads.

George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:23 PM   #9
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
Pads nice ... But metal to metal ...? I don't think that would be perfectly fine.

I use hard rubber pads.

Not metal to metal as you can see. Plastic liner with magnets to hold it to the pinch weld. Recommended to use a rubber padded jack. This is the hot set-up! Disclaimer: I am in no way sponsored by or employed by ZL1 Addons or Jegs. LOL!
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2021, 11:38 PM   #10
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
+1 on the ZL1 jack pads. I purchased the magnet type. Lifting the vehicle is now SO much easier.
Do you just need one and remove it after each use?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Do you just need one and remove it after each use?
I purchased 4 in case I ever get a lift but I've only been using 1 and YES you must remove when done. They also make the bolt-on type to leave in place. (Like Deputy has).
Old 01-04-2021, 01:28 PM   #12
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZona28 View Post
Not metal to metal as you can see. Plastic liner with magnets to hold it to the pinch weld. Recommended to use a rubber padded jack. This is the hot set-up! Disclaimer: I am in no way sponsored by or employed by ZL1 Addons or Jegs. LOL!
Then everything is fine
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:49 AM   #13
mikeman
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Those are not where you lift any car, those are the weakest part of a car.

Those are holes in the floorboard with plastic plugs. They are used when the car gets water in it, you pull the plugs.
The plugs seal up the holes that allowed the primer coat to get inside all areas without air bubbles forming when they dipped them at the factory. They are not supposed to be removed afterwards.
mikeman is offline   Reply With Quote