Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 12-28-2020, 05:12 PM   #1
02silververtSS

Drives: 2002 SS vert, 2016 RS vert
Noisy rear end solved..

My 02 SS vert M6 has the typical rear end issues at 65,000 miles, so I took it for a rebuild. The GM dealer that always services it ordered new parts, rebuilt to specs...noisier than before...rebuilt it again (free).. still noisy. Then, I just happened to buy brand 4 new 10 spoke OEM painted alloys from Billy Graham's Camaro parts in Alabama. He had all the take-offs from the 2001 Earnhardt Intimidator Camaro's that were switched to Torque Thrusts. I found out he also had the NOS original ring gears from all those cars, since Earnhardt also changed the gear ratio. The GM parts that the dealer installed were replacement GM parts, but these were OEM factory take-offs. I called Billy and he told me exactly what I had experienced... that the part currently available from GM was noisy and that it couldn't be cured. And that this "new" one from the Earnhardt take-offs would be quiet

Long story short, the GM dealer rebuilt it again (for free) with the $100 "new" ring gear from Billy Graham... after they had a phone call with him for a few tips...and it is like new... quiet as a new car... unbelievable how the same part, but the true original... makes all the difference ! I don't race...just have fun...or I'd buy a beefier rear axle.

Plus a bit of history went on my car... take-off wheels and ring gear via Earnhardt from the original Intimidator cars....

And Billy has more ring gears left.....
02silververtSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:07 AM   #2
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Truly amazing but not surprising how true OEM parts is the real answer to majority of our problems. Problem is all the overnight companies believe they can make the exact product for much less money, many fail. Happy to hear you conquered the problem and now drive with a smile! Enjoy your New Year, God knows it has to be better than last!

Larry
Old 12-31-2020, 10:04 PM   #3
camarodude87

Drives: 2002 SOM SS
Billy Graham is the man, stand up guy. I only do business with him.
92 Camaro - Paxton supercharged 355 5 speed - SOLD
02 SOM Camaro-H/C/I, Moser 9, Stage 2 T56 - SOLD
1969 Camaro 6.0 LQ9 4L60E- SOLD
2014 ZL1-SOLD
camarodude87 is offline   Reply With Quote