Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
Clark Grizwald
Brewmaster

Drives: 2013 ZL1, 2015 Tundra 1794
vibration from 90mph on up!

wondering if anyone else experienced this problem......when driving over 90 i get this vibration that at first seemed like hitting high seems between sections of the highway. at 100mph + the dash shakes some much the HUD is hard to read...in all of this the steering wheel is motionless so not front end issues. I've been thinking possibly drive shaft or maybe a rear wheel out of balance.....any input before I bring it to the dealer is appreciated.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Had this kind of a thing on my Truck at about 45/50 Mph...Bent wheels. Chances are 9 out of 10 that it's wheel related. It would be VERY VERY hard/impossible (Short of a collision) to damage drive shaft or pieces in the area that would cause a shake like you mentioned on a ZL1.

Just because the steering wheel doesn't shake doesn't mean it's not front end. I'd take it to a dealer and see what they say.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Every blue moon I might get up to those speeds, but I have not experienced any vibrations whatsoever...Have you locked the brakes recently and created flat spots in the tires or lost a weight???Seems odd that you wouldn't notice the vibrations at lower speeds...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #4
Clark Grizwald
Brewmaster

I don't know how the drive shafts are balanced or if there is a common problem with the bearing between shafts, I could see a wheel balance issue causing this as well. was mainly wondering if there were any known/common (TSBs) issues people are aware of that cause this. thanks for your replies!
Old 10-20-2016, 08:16 AM   #5
zeeb

Drives: 2014 ZL1, AGM, M6
Put the trans in neutral (or push the clutch in) when the vibration is being felt. If the vib disappears then it's likely in the drivetrain. If the vib remains constant than its probably a tire or wheel issue(bent wheel,bad tire,balance issue) what condition are the tires in?
zeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:47 AM   #6
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeb View Post
Put the trans in neutral (or push the clutch in) when the vibration is being felt. If the vib disappears then it's likely in the drivetrain. If the vib remains constant than its probably a tire or wheel issue(bent wheel,bad tire,balance issue) what condition are the tires in?
How would this eliminate the drive shaft?
Old 10-20-2016, 10:54 AM   #7
Clark Grizwald
Brewmaster

tires are Mickey Thompson's and have about 6000 miles on them. they look to be in great shape. One of the thoughts that came to mind the first time it happened was that i was feeling the ridges between sections of the road because they were that far apart at 90 mph but at 100-110 it gets pretty significant, so much so that the HUD is difficult to read
Old 10-20-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Grizwald View Post
tires are Mickey Thompson's and have about 6000 miles on them. they look to be in great shape. One of the thoughts that came to mind the first time it happened was that i was feeling the ridges between sections of the road because they were that far apart at 90 mph but at 100-110 it gets pretty significant, so much so that the HUD is difficult to read
As suggested push in the clutch at vibration and that will eliminate the drive train. At 90 if the vibration is enough to shake your dash and the steering wheel is calm its not in the front suspension.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #9
zeeb

Drives: 2014 ZL1, AGM, M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
How would this eliminate the drive shaft?
It helps in trying to diagnose where a vibration may be coming from. If the drive shaft is causing the problem when it's spinning and underload putting it in neutral
Can take the load off the shaft. If the vibration stops or changes, then the problem is drive line related
zeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:45 PM   #10
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeb View Post
It helps in trying to diagnose where a vibration may be coming from. If the drive shaft is causing the problem when it's spinning and underload putting it in neutral
Can take the load off the shaft. If the vibration stops or changes, then the problem is drive line related
Wouldn't you notice that by just either accelerating, decelerating or cruising at no load? The drive shaft will spin while clutch disengaged or in neutral and balance will be off while spinning. Do our drive shafts get balanced by factory or the OEM vendor prior to delivery?

I'm just trying to understand how to t/s cars, not trying to discredit anyone here.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #11
jsd

Drives: 2012 ZL 1 #370
I was driving this summer at 250 km/h at german autobahn. Just a little shaking hood.
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:52 PM   #12
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
Wouldn't you notice that by just either accelerating, decelerating or cruising at no load? The drive shaft will spin while clutch disengaged or in neutral and balance will be off while spinning. Do our drive shafts get balanced by factory or the OEM vendor prior to delivery?

I'm just trying to understand how to t/s cars, not trying to discredit anyone here.
Doubt it's driveshaft or he would feel it going through the gears at the same rpm.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #13
Ron_Robinson1

Drives: A Static line to a pack tray & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to Ron_Robinson1
I had a similar issue last year. Had an alignment and tires rebalanced, all went away.

I will also add, that after two track days I will get my track wheels/ tires rebalanced, because they seem to get thrown off pretty well.
SOLD-2011 SS M6: Blower, Cam, Alky, LTs.
Ron_Robinson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #14
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
If, and this is a big if, the bolts at the rear end of the drive shaft at the diff are failing, then it may only be noticed at speed, and getting on the clutch, unloading the drivetrain etc, will not effect or improve the situation. The drive shaft rotates relative the tire speed, not the engine RPM's.

If there is no notable vibration in the steering wheel, then I would suspect it is in the rear suspension or in the driveshaft.

A flat spotted tire will be more notable at slow speed, and a bent wheel will be notable at all speeds, just at a different frequency. I'm not ruling those out but I would look elsewhere first...

You might have a carrier bearing (if the ZL1 has a two piece shaft) failing as well... Get the rear wheels off the ground, put it in neutral, release the parking brake, and see how much play there is is the carrier bearing, and then check the bolts at the differential. Bare in mind, these are one time use bolts... If the drive shaft is removed the bolts should be replaced...

I apologize if any of the information is not applicable to the ZL1. I drive an SS and have numerous friends that have had this issue...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote