Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 12-01-2019, 07:36 AM   #1
DameDuno

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Arrow Tune / turn off AFM 2012 Camaro SS

Good morning everyone!

I have very little experience with the topic of tuning, and I’m looking for some guidance. I have a 2012 Camaro SS L99 with a CAI intake and a Borla S-type catback exhaust. This will likely be the only bolts-ons for my car. I’m looking to turn off AFM on my car and maybe do a basic tune to grant a little extra HP.

Could I achieve this by purchasing a SCT handheld tuner, similar to this?

SCT BDX Performance Programmers 40490

Or will I need to have a custom tune for my car? I’m mainly concerned about the AFM, however I know that the Range devices have caused issues with some cars. Therefore I would rather spend a little extra $ and get a tune and turn off the AFM, if possible.

Thank you!
DameDuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Get your SCT from Steve @ RDP Motorsports.

Aside from turning the AFM off, he will be able to tune your transmission as well, which will wake up the car.

The best thing about getting it from him is that all future tunes are free.....I know as of right now you aren't planning any future mods....I thought that same thing......but then came headers/torque converter/nitrous/gears, and I didn't have to pay for any tuning.

I'm sure he has tuned hundreds of these cars.

Besides that, Steve is a great guy and will give you great prices on stuff from RDP.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #3
DameDuno

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Excellent, thank you for the information! I just spoke with Steve and I think I will
be doing business with him!

Thank you!
DameDuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Tuning of the AFM out my primary goal with Steve too. I'd have to say it's worth the money not to have to drive a Camaro SS on 4 cylinders. Ask him about his "aggressive" tune too!