Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
mhpilot

Drives: Red 1LE
Lowering Springs

I have been doing tons of research, and I've been browsing through the forms. I want to know what everyone's take on the brand of lowering springs. It really all depends on what kind of ride you want right? If you want to go more linear or progressive. I don't want to lose what ride I have but I don't want to lose the cars performance. I'm consdering going with either BMR, Hotchkis, or Pfadt. And just doing a 1 inch drop.

Thanks!
mhpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
WIPLASH
WIPLASH

Drives: '15 SW/2SS/RS/1LE
Linear is the spring you want for the 1LE. I've got Hotchkis springs riding around in my trunk until Andy at ADM installs them. 1" is as far as I'm dropping it.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
mhpilot

Drives: Red 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by huligan View Post
Linear is the spring you want for the 1LE. I've got Hotchkis springs riding around in my trunk until Andy at ADM installs them. 1" is as far as I'm dropping it.

What made you go with the hotchkis?
mhpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:04 PM   #4
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
Linear is the way to go. I think BMR is the only lowering spring offered that is linear.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:23 AM   #5
WIPLASH
WIPLASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhpilot View Post
What made you go with the hotchkis?
Based on 1st person accounts of folks who have used the Hotchkis springs on their 1LE. Also, they're linear, not progressive.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:34 AM   #6
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Based on 1st person accounts of folks who have used the Hotchkis springs on their 1LE. Also, they're linear, not progressive.
Can you point me to the info that states their linear, I haven't found anything on that.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #7
WIPLASH
WIPLASH

I called Hotchkis directly and asked them. Also, if you go to any of the usual sites that sell them, they're advertised for other makes as linear and will have a "no" next to the spring rate of "progressive". I'll agree there isn't a lot of clear info out there on them being linear which is why I called them.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:31 PM   #8
White_SS/RS

Quote:
I called Hotchkis directly and asked them. Also, if you go to any of the usual sites that sell them, they're advertised for other makes as linear and will have a "no" next to the spring rate of "progressive". I'll agree there isn't a lot of clear info out there on them being linear which is why I called them.
Cool, thanks
Old 11-16-2015, 08:04 AM   #9
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
No one offers a true 4 corner linear rate lowering spring set. They are all either progressive or some sort of hybrid. BMR springs use a dual rate set up that is basically two linear springs stacked on top of each other.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #10
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
No one offers a true 4 corner linear rate lowering spring set. They are all either progressive or some sort of hybrid. BMR springs use a dual rate set up that is basically two linear springs stacked on top of each other.
I was under the impression that BMR's dual rate is for insuring consistent ride height but is essentially linear otherwise.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #11
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
I was under the impression that BMR's dual rate is for insuring consistent ride height but is essentially linear otherwise.
The initial section is very soft and has two purposes; to help soak up some of the imperfections in the road and keep the springs in place when the suspension is a full extension.

Identifying a linear spring is very simple. The coils are all the same size and the space between them is exactly the same like in the photo below. From top to bottom it takes the same amount of force to compress them. This is the kind of spring used on the better coil overs. If the spring has some coils are larger than others and/or have differences in how far apart the coils are, then there are multiple spring rates at play.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote