Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-20-2021, 09:47 AM   #29
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Now, when you find yourself parked on a hill with cars front and behind, the methods get more dicey. Pointed downhill is very different from pointed uphill.
Only in that the car would need to be in Reverse when pointing downhill for HSA to kick in...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:59 AM   #30
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
When they introduced hill assist in later 5th gens, it was terrible; I hated it so much that I disabled it. In the 6th gen works all the time for me, doesn't take much to release and get me on my way. I don't even notice it anymore.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:05 AM   #31
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Here's how hill start assist works, 'roughly'...

- You come to a stop
- Car is in gear
- Clutch is in
- Foot on the brake holding the car still

As long as the car is on a "steep enough" incline, releasing the brake will engage Hill Start Assist and the car will NOT roll backwards for about 2-3 seconds (much longer in the real world than it sounds like) giving you plenty of time to get the clutch to where it engages and give it a little throttle to start moving forward.

If you have your foot off of the brake for more than 2-3 seconds, the Hill Start Assist cancels. If the car is not in gear when you release the brake, the Hill Start Assist never engages.

My style is to pull up to a light, take the car out of gear, release the clutch pedal, and hold the car with the brake. When the light turns, the clutch goes in, car goes into gear, brake gets released, and off I go.

Honestly - the clutch and transmission on these cars is -really- nice and I've never had an issue pulling away from a stop whether on a hill or not. Sometimes, I release the brake first and THEN put the clutch in and shift into gear and I -still- don't have any issues with starting on a hill.

I was taught to always have the car in gear in case you have an emergency and need to move the car ASAP. Whether sitting at a light or slowing the car down you should be in a gear that will power the car if needed. I don't find it difficult to hold the clutch for a few.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #32
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
I was taught to always have the car in gear in case you have an emergency and need to move the car ASAP. Whether sitting at a light or slowing the car down you should be in a gear that will power the car if needed. I don't find it difficult to hold the clutch for a few.
Generally, I follow that as well. At a stop light, however, I don't leave it in gear because keeping the clutch pedal down can cause additional wear on the clutch.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:09 AM   #33
JitteryJoe

Drives: 21' LTI, '18 Traverse, '15 Mazda 6
I never rely on the hill assist since I started driving before it was a thing. One of the first things my parents taught me was starting on a hill and I've never had an issue. IMO if someone is so close to you that you roll back into them I can't imagine you would do much damage rolling back <1ft at 1MPH.

My advice would be to "Git Gud"
JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #34
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
I never rely on the hill assist since I started driving before it was a thing. One of the first things my parents taught me was starting on a hill and I've never had an issue. IMO if someone is so close to you that you roll back into them I can't imagine you would do much damage rolling back <1ft at 1MPH.

My advice would be to "Git Gud"
Maybe not to -their- car, but your rear bumper is going to be damaged.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:21 AM   #35
JitteryJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
Quote:
Generally, I follow that as well. At a stop light, however, I don't leave it in gear because keeping the clutch pedal down can cause additional wear on the clutch.
To each their own but I couldn't imagine a situation where I'd be stopped at a light staring at my rearview mirror the whole time waiting for someone texting to run into the back of me (and I got rear ended 3 years ago). There would either be a car in front of me or cross traffic if I was the first car at the light 99.9% of the time.

My parents would always criticize me coasting to the light in neutral for the same reasons . I'm always checking my mirrors for awareness of the cars around me. If someone is coming up on me out of nowhere at triple the speed limit I'd be better off pulling out of the way then trying to outrun them anyway (well maybe not now with the Camaro )
Old 04-20-2021, 10:26 AM   #36
JitteryJoe

Quote:
Maybe not to -their- car, but your rear bumper is going to be damaged.
Maybe a scratch or two. I don't have experience with the Camaro specifically but I've been full on rear ended in a drive through and the scratches weren't any worst that what some Jackwagon will end up doing in the parking lot at some point anyway. Obviously no two situations are going to be the same but I've never done it and I've never heard of any of my friends or family ever doing it either.
Old 04-20-2021, 11:31 AM   #37
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
To each their own but I couldn't imagine a situation where I'd be stopped at a light staring at my rearview mirror the whole time waiting for someone texting to run into the back of me (and I got rear ended 3 years ago). There would either be a car in front of me or cross traffic if I was the first car at the light 99.9% of the time.

My parents would always criticize me coasting to the light in neutral for the same reasons . I'm always checking my mirrors for awareness of the cars around me. If someone is coming up on me out of nowhere at triple the speed limit I'd be better off pulling out of the way then trying to outrun them anyway (well maybe not now with the Camaro )
I've been in a situation where I was the second vehicle at a light in the right lane (of two lanes). A semi came around a corner leading up to the light where I was stopped, still traveling at 55MPH (likely faster). With about 1000' to stop, he locked the brakes and jackknifed the truck.

Just about the time this was starting to unfold, a thought went through my mind - "I wonder what happened to that tractor-trailer I passed a couple of miles back?" I looked in my mirror and saw the truck appear just about that time. Then I saw the cloud of smoke billowing out under the tractor from the tires and the tractor went sideways across the road...

When I pull up behind someone at a light, I leave space in front of me. I've always done it, but this encounter 25 years ago solidified why I will -always- do it. When I saw what was happening behind me, I put the truck into first gear and pulled through between the two cars stopped at the light in each lane (there was just enough room to fit between). Once I was through the intersection with about 100' of space between me at the stopped cars, I glanced back to see the semi smash into one of the two cars (meaning he would have already crushed my truck had I stayed put).

So, yeah... I'm aware and pay attention and have benefitted from that on multiple occasions. I also had MORE than enough time to recognize a problem situation and put the vehicle in gear (from neutral, with the clutch out) to drive away.

My dad was hit from behind at a light once and it did a lot of "unnoticed" damage under the hood because when he saw the truck coming, he pressed down on the brake in attempt to keep the car from flying forward and hitting others. Various pieces on the engine were disturbed from the regular position because of the force of the crash and that car took quite a while to be returned to correct running condition as a result.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #38
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
Quote:
In the V8 cars, yes. OP has a 1LT, though. Stout transmission still, but not quite as much torque.
Ah good catch! I didn't even check.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 01:26 PM   #39
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
ember is pretty spot on with how to activate hill start assist. Here's a post to the full criteria from GM:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=17

To the "need to push harder on the pedal" comments, it really doesn't take a ton of extra force. You just need a tiny bit more over what it takes to keep the car in place on the hill. If it's not activating at that point it's likely either the car's not in the right gear or isn't on a steep enough grade. 5% is a little steeper than most people probably expect. It's not meant to stop all roll entirely, it's meant to help in situations where the grade is steep enough that you can roll a decent distance in the time it takes to get moving.

I'm also not sure what the big deal with the electric park brake is either? Even if someone doesn't trust hill start assist, you can manually apply the park brake and then just drive off as normal when you're ready to go. These cars all (manual and automatic both) will release the EPB once the clutch is released and throttle is applied far enough while in gear. Only exception I've found to this is if I try to drive off right after I first start the vehicle it'll sometimes not work, but after running for 10-15 seconds it's always worked for me. There's no need to do a half park-brake hold or roast the clutch by keeping the car on the grade via clutch slip, there's two separate brake systems on the car specifically designed to do that now instead.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:43 PM   #40
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
It used to be kind of a pain then I moved to a place that is flat.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #41
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
It used to be kind of a pain then I moved to a place that is flat.
Come out my way - not so flat over here at the bottom of the mountains

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:17 PM   #42
donaldp

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1 M6
Having driven manuals my whole driving life and having grown up in San Francisco have given me an unfair advantage when it comes to hills/manuals. I don't have any fear of hills but certainly understand the concerns.
donaldp is offline   Reply With Quote