Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-02-2019, 09:05 PM   #15
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Tweeter + midrange = "twiddler," from what I can find. Basically a high excursion small driver in the sub 3" range. Can handle high power and play both mids and highs.
I'm not sure how this differs from the current 3" drivers that are assigned midrange and tweeter duties.

Their description on the link makes it appear as though these twiddlers will play lower frequencies than just midrange.

As for higher frequencies, typically it is VERY difficult for drivers larger than 3" to accurately reproduce frequencies approaching 15khz to 20 kHz when firing on axis. To compensate, companies often design the car to fire midrange drivers off glass which adds some "sizzle" to the higher frequencies.

My favorite audio company, Hybrid Audio Technilogies (HAT) has an audiophile grade 3.7" driver that reproduces these high frequencies so well on or off axis that vehicles running "tweeter-less" 2 way front stages with a 3.7" full range and 8" midbass have won IASCA sound quality competitions.

http://store.12velectronics.com/prod...eaker-Set.html

That is no small feat, and speaks to the quality of HAT drivers. But those 3.7" drivers run about $530 per pair

but the corvette has tweeters also, so I'm not sure of the utility of having "twiddlers" that will also reproduce tweeter frequencies. Hence me thinking that they want these drivers covering more of the midbass duties up front.

In any case, it will be interesting to see what the system sounds like. I sat in one today that was on tour in SoCal in Costa Mesa. Not sure if it had the upgraded Bose system and the dealer wouldn't let me turn it up and play with it as all we were able to do was sit down for a few moments in the driver's seat.
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:13 AM   #16
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
Agree with what most folk sare saying, especially regarding Bose and being able to make something sound great if they aren't limited by budget. The Bose in my CTS-V and in my wife's old SRX were much better than the Bose in the Camaro.

Bose in 6th Gen Camaro sounds decent at low to mid volumes, after that distortion and bass off make for a muddled experience.

@GBlaue, hopefully it won't take 2 years to come out with a processor for us aftermarket folks.
Yeah, I wouldn’t hold your breath. Changing to GM’s Global B architecture really locks things down. It may be possible to get into the EAV bus, but not the CAN bus.

As for OEM systems, Bose in any vehicle falls short of the Bang & Olufsen in the Audi A8, or the Mark Levinson in the Lexus. Those were the only OEM systems I can truly say I would not change out for an aftermarket system. Much different cost constraints. Check out the CT6.

Also, WTF is a twiddler? The idea of a 3.25 inch driver playing bass frequencies sounds off to me, but I am still intrigued
tweeter/midrange combination
Old 08-04-2019, 06:15 AM   #17
gblaue

Quote:
Any surround processing modes on this or just the AudioPilot? Any driver's soundstage mode, which I think mainly adds some delay to the left channel to center things around the driver's head?
Advanced soundstage processing, which is optimized for both seating positions.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:46 AM   #18
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
tweeter/midrange combination
How is this different than what is currently on the market, or what is currently in the vehicles. This is what our drivers are currently doing firing off glass.

Also, why have tweeters next to the twiddlers. Seems redundant and unnecessary
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

Old 08-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #19
gblaue

Quote:
How is this different than what is currently on the market, or what is currently in the vehicles. This is what our drivers are currently doing firing off glass.

I’m not an acoustics or signal processing guy, but I assume that since the car is using a 16 channel amplifier, the tweeter and twid can have their own independent signal path and EQ. That allows for more phase and delay control, thus optimizing the soundstage for both occupants.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #20
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
I’m not an acoustics or signal processing guy, but I assume that since the car is using a 16 channel amplifier, the tweeter and twid can have their own independent signal path and EQ. That allows for more phase and delay control, thus optimizing the soundstage for both occupants.
no doubt each channel will all be run active, but tweeters only need a certain range of frequency. Seems unnecessary to have both a tweeter and a twiddler reproducing tweeter range frequencies. otherwise, it could just be a midrange and tweeter run actively

Old 08-04-2019, 07:33 PM   #21
gblaue

Quote:
no doubt each channel will all be run active, but tweeters only need a certain range of frequency. Seems unnecessary to have both a tweeter and a twiddler reproducing tweeter range frequencies. otherwise, it could just be a midrange and tweeter run actively
That’s the point, they can have different eq’s, phase, and delay.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #22
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Depending on where these are exactly positioned, it may be easier to route the noise cancellation portion of the signal to one but not the other. I would think the driver with the wider response.
This noise cancellation technology is evolving pretty rapidly and finding its way into many vehicles now.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #23
drfeelgood

Quote:
Depending on where these are exactly positioned, it may be easier to route the noise cancellation portion of the signal to one but not the other. I would think the driver with the wider response.
This noise cancellation technology is evolving pretty rapidly and finding its way into many vehicles now.
that makes sense... I'm looking forward to hearing this