Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-31-2018, 05:56 AM   #43
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
Good thread and the pics are excellent. I have a black 2SS 1LE and have not noticed it yet but now will be looking for it closely.

But I'm just curious where the expansion/movement of the plastic bumper is moving to once the zip ties are in place? Given that the material obviously expands due to the heat, if the movement is restricted by the zip ties but the material is still heating up, doesn't that expansion have to go somewhere by the laws of physics?

Just curious if you have noticed a change elsewhere once you zip tied the bumper from moving outward?
The plastic expands across the entire length of the bumper. The zip ties do not alter physics, they just constrain movement. So once the ends are constrained by the zipties then all the movement will happen the only other place it can: in the middle.

You probably won't be able to notice that when hot the bumper is actually sticking out the back ~1/4" more than when cold.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:40 AM   #44
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
The plastic expands across the entire length of the bumper. The zip ties do not alter physics, they just constrain movement. So once the ends are constrained by the zipties then all the movement will happen the only other place it can: in the middle.

You probably won't be able to notice that when hot the bumper is actually sticking out the back ~1/4" more than when cold.
That's what I figured - it has to expand in some direction. Have you seen/noticed the rearward expansion in this circumstance at all?
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #45
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
I had a similar issue, when I got rear ended earlier this year the body shop I took it to saw it and fixed the fastener that had popped out.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:59 PM   #46
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven87 View Post
That's what I figured - it has to expand in some direction. Have you seen/noticed the rearward expansion in this circumstance at all?
I don't see it at all anywhere now (and zip tied both sides pretty tight).

Looks good!

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:15 PM   #47
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
This is a common issue and yes it is defenetly heat related. I had the issue on my 2017 and my 2018 but only on the passenger side. I've checked out many new Camaros's on dealer lots on hot days and some have it while others don't. And like so many fit and finish issues on these cars it just boils down to how the wheel of quality landed on your particular unit !
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 06:24 AM   #48
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
This is a common issue and yes it is defenetly heat related. I had the issue on my 2017 and my 2018 but only on the passenger side. I've checked out many new Camaros's on dealer lots on hot days and some have it while others don't. And like so many fit and finish issues on these cars it just boils down to how the wheel of quality landed on your particular unit !
All the bumpers will do the exact same thing (expand when hot), but whether the bumper pops out is more a matter of whether there's enough friction to keep it from sliding sideways.

You'd think that the slop in the tab slots shown by Devnull's photos in post #9 is a design goof, but they are that way for a reason. Plastic expands ~90 ppm/C more than steel. A 2m wide bumper will expand/contract 7mm over its length during a 40C temp change. The stack up of tolerances between the bumper mold and body welding plus variations in temp the car must endure forced them to make the slots that way. So the ~3mm slop in each slot allows for the thermal expansion. If they didn't allow some, eventually the bumper or the tabs will crack, plus it would be hard to assemble the car at LGR in the middle of winter/summer.

Problem is that they designed in too much unconstrained movement. They could have pinned the outside corners with some push pins and just let the bumper bow out in the middle... but they didn't. Accountant weasels probably whined because 2 more push pins would take too much time on the line @ LGR. I wonder what the same area of the ATS and CTS look like.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:06 PM   #49
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
I don't have this issue on my 2018 Chevy Sonic Premier RS daily driver, I swear it has way better fit and finish than my 2017 or my 2018 Camaro's. Tight as a drum with zero rattles or squeaks, all body panels line up perfectly, no orange peel at all on the paint finish, and unlike my Camaro, when I look deep into the door jams and at all areas under the hood I actually see body color paint and not grey primer. Honestly just flawless initial quality.... and this is an entry level subcompact car!!! Hats off to Orion assembly for great quality in an entry level vehicle... I'm impressed!!!
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #50
Turtle 2ss
TBC

Drives: 2017 Fifty 2ss
Mine is doing the same. Going to try it this weekend.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #51
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
I had a similar issue with my bumper being misaligned. Took it to the dealer and their body shop fixed it under warranty, couple clips were missing is what I was told.
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #52
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
I did this over the weekend. Drivers side is flush however the passenger side is sticking out. I put zip ties as per this thread but not sure what is going on with the passenger side. It seems like it's sticking out more than before I did this exercise...
Old 08-18-2019, 09:29 PM   #53
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
Mine has had it on passenger side since I purchased it. Will take to dealer for fix.
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:21 AM   #54
Stingray_2014

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Same here on my 2019 car, but only on passenger side so far and only when hot. I live in Florida, so it makes sense. I may have the dealer take a look at it but I am nervous that they will do more harm than good. I don't trust myself taking out the tail lights to fix this. I think this happened to some Corvette owners as well but mine was fine.
Stingray_2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:33 AM   #55
1hprush
2018 ZL1 1LE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray_2014 View Post
Same here on my 2019 car, but only on passenger side so far and only when hot. I live in Florida, so it makes sense. I may have the dealer take a look at it but I am nervous that they will do more harm than good. I don't trust myself taking out the tail lights to fix this. I think this happened to some Corvette owners as well but mine was fine.
Ditto! I wouldn’t take it to the dealer either. However, removing the tails are so easy. Just watch a video on the removal and get to it!
1hprush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #56
Stingray_2014

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hprush View Post
Ditto! I wouldn’t take it to the dealer either. However, removing the tails are so easy. Just watch a video on the removal and get to it!
Think it's the same for the 2019's with the updated tail lamps? If so, I may have to try it. Heck, I even have LED turn signals I haven't installed yet because I don't want to break anything, haha.
Stingray_2014 is offline   Reply With Quote