#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
nighttowl
Sarcasm loading --------

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Will ZLE fit on uhaul trailer?

As the title says, will a ZLE fit on uhaul trailer?

2018 MBM ZL1 1LE - Stock
2014 CRT ZL1 574 rwhp, 537 rwtq - SOLD
2010 IBM SS Camaro VVT L99 w/ TR6060 swap, 489 rwhp, 444 rwtq - SOLD
nighttowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:45 PM   #2
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
If a non 1LE ZL1 can (because I have put my ZL1 on a Uhaul trailer once), I'm sure a 1LE ZL1 can. You'll need to remove the 2 plates towards the front (couple of nuts and bolts) and put down some 2x4s where the front tires will sit so the front will clear the front of the trailer.

Plus you'll probably need some 2x4's as a step up for the car to clear the ramps as you load it.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #3
ZLE dude

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE
I found an older thread where u-haul trailers were part of the discussion regarding a ZLE. See link...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=526431&page=2
2018 ZL1 1LE - Summit White, PDR, Rotofab CAI, 95mm TB, CSP 2" catless LT's, JMS Voltage Booster, AEM X-series WB, DSX flex fuel sensor, Banks Data Monster, Tuned by Ted Jannetty, 5% Tint, Blackvue DR900S-2CH, Diode Dynamics lighting, IGL Kenzo ceramic coating
ZLE dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:39 PM   #4
ZLE dude

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE
This was the very last comment from the link I posted...

Blast2hell:

Drives: 2020 ZLE Rally Green A10
As a follow up to the uhaul. The silver uhaul trailer is wide enough, however at the front of the trailer is a 6" tall bump stop designed for your front tire to be up against. Obviously this is a problem considering the clearance of the front splitter.

You could put something down like some boards or something to raise the height of the tire up, but personally I didn't like that idea.

I guess I'm going to look for a trailer this summer.
2018 ZL1 1LE - Summit White, PDR, Rotofab CAI, 95mm TB, CSP 2" catless LT's, JMS Voltage Booster, AEM X-series WB, DSX flex fuel sensor, Banks Data Monster, Tuned by Ted Jannetty, 5% Tint, Blackvue DR900S-2CH, Diode Dynamics lighting, IGL Kenzo ceramic coating
ZLE dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #5
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I bought some nice long trailer ramps from these guys years ago so I could easily load my other lowered track car onto any flatbed tow truck without scraping, an articulated flatbed can do this easy but they aren't always available when you need one...
https://www.raceramps.com/?gclid=Cj0...saAnTvEALw_wcB
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 03:30 PM   #6
Vigilante375

Like I mentioned. Take those 2 front plates off and add a couple of 2x4s on each side where the front tires sit. You'll need to cut them to length though and then it'll clear the front without scraping the splitter nor the rubber strip under the front.

It'll ratchet down fine with those boards in place as long as you put enough down to cover the contact area of the tires.
Old 03-03-2021, 04:07 PM   #7
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
Like I mentioned. Take those 2 front plates off and add a couple of 2x4s on each side where the front tires sit. You'll need to cut them to length though and then it'll clear the front without scraping the splitter nor the rubber strip under the front.

It'll ratchet down fine with those boards in place as long as you put enough down to cover the contact area of the tires.
On the money response ! A year ago we took my cousin gen5 camaro to Houston HHP this way, and it worked perfectly ! Just remember to put the plates back on the trailer.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:49 PM   #8
Vigilante375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revalot View Post
On the money response ! A year ago we took my cousin gen5 camaro to Houston HHP this way, and it worked perfectly ! Just remember to put the plates back on the trailer.
Oh yea. Very true but I doubt the rental people would even know they were missing but I wouldn't want to test them.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:02 AM   #9
dbs1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I was using a uhaul trailer often for my C5Z and got tired of the front air dam hooking over the front lip of the trailer. I took some 2x10 cutoffs from work and screwed some 3/8" plywood on top of the 2x10's after checking the dimensions at the very front and back to the round rod (something close to 13") that would drop in there semi tight and viola, works for the camaro as well.
You just have to remember to pull em out when ya return the trailer.

Nowadays I drive to the track but every now and then this is cheaper then a $6k trailer and then finding a place to park it.
dbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #10
Vigilante375

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
I was using a uhaul trailer often for my C5Z and got tired of the front air dam hooking over the front lip of the trailer. I took some 2x10 cutoffs from work and screwed some 3/8" plywood on top of the 2x10's after checking the dimensions at the very front and back to the round rod (something close to 13") that would drop in there semi tight and viola, works for the camaro as well.
You just have to remember to pull em out when ya return the trailer.

Nowadays I drive to the track but every now and then this is cheaper then a $6k trailer and then finding a place to park it.
You don't really need to go out and buy a $6k trailer, though the ones at that prices are nice. I went out and found a deal on a new trailer for $2k on a 8' wide 16' long.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:59 PM   #11
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
I've seen it, it's a tight squeeze!
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:06 PM   #12
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
You don't really need to go out and buy a $6k trailer, though the ones at that prices are nice. I went out and found a deal on a new trailer for $2k on a 8' wide 16' long.
What type of trailer did you get ? Do you have any pictures?

Does anyone have pictures of there car on a u-haul.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:23 PM   #13
Dixie ZL1
NOXQCES ZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttowl View Post
As the title says, will a ZLE fit on uhaul trailer?
It will and I have done it, but it's not easy. You need fairly long ramps (I disassembled an 8X8 pallet because it was all I could find) and you have to back it on. We drove the tow vehicle over a curb onto a higher surface to decrease the approach angle and that worked.

It will not go on forward and you need to decrease the approach angle to get it on backward.

Oh, and BTW.... you'll need to get out of the car on the passenger side because the right trailer fender is fixed and the door won't open. The left trailer fender is releasable on a hinge.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dixie ZL1; 03-04-2021 at 09:34 PM.
Dixie ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:00 AM   #14
Vigilante375

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
What type of trailer did you get ? Do you have any pictures?

Does anyone have pictures of there car on a u-haul.
It was a Big Tex 60EC. I guess it isn't 8' wide but 7' wide and 16' long. The car fits with plenty of room on each side since the ZL1 is about 6.2' wide.

I don't have any pictures but you can search for that trailer online and see what it looks like. Pretty basic but it does the job. I purchased a set of race ramps and use a couple long pieces of 2x6's to help the car get onto the trailer. If you find a dove tail trailer, then race ramps would be the only thing you'd need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie ZL1 View Post
It will and I have done it, but it's not easy. You need fairly long ramps (I disassembled an 8X8 pallet because it was all I could find) and you have to back it on. We drove the tow vehicle over a curb onto a higher surface to decrease the approach angle and that worked.

It will not go on forward and you need to decrease the approach angle to get it on backward.

Oh, and BTW.... you'll need to get out of the car on the passenger side because the right trailer fender is fixed and the door won't open. The left trailer fender is releasable on a hinge.
The ZL1 WILL fit facing forward. As I mentioned, taking off the plates that are in front of where the tires will sit will let the car clear but not the rubber strip. So you'll need to add a couple pieces of 2x4's to the spot where the tires sit so it'll clear.

I've driven the ZL1 onto a Uhaul trailer twice and had no problems with it going forward other than needing to raise the loading ramps to more of an angle like you mentioned.