Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-29-2020, 09:22 AM   #43
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I am glad I live in the country, and dont have any close neighbors. They can make your life miserable if they want to.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #44
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
You starting your car during those hours are no different than someone making the same amount of noise (if not more) mowing their lawn or using certain power tools outside/in the garage.
Very true. Take up another hobby that’s very loud. Wood work, he might get the hint.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #45
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
For the love of God! You've got to be kidding me! I swear I hate what this world has become! All the PC crap. All the name changing of sports teams. Hell, you can't even use gender-related pronouns anymore. It just all makes me want to rebel! I told a cashier in a local store Merry Christmas after a purchase and this other woman behind me actually had the nerve to tell me that she was offended by me saying that. I just looked at her and said that I'm offended that she's offended. Her mouth hit the floor and she had no response but everyone else waiting in line actually clapped for me as I left the store. Ok, I'm done venting now... sorry!

I live in an HOA and most of the people who live in here are older. They all love when I fire-up the Camaro SS and if they're outside when I drive past, they all give me a thumb-up and big smile. Give the ass a pair of earplugs for his girl and tell him to have a nice day!
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #46
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Those numbers are pretty meaningless by themselves. Decibel ratings are relative and will change based on the distance from the source of the sound/noise. It's kind of like asking "how loud is your stereo?" without constraining the answer to knowing how far from the speakers you are.

Will a dB meter app be useful? Yes, as long as the measurements are understood. Part of that means that there's a rough correlation between dB level of distance where moving 10' further away from a sound source will decrease the dB level by about 3dB. It isn't perfectly linear.

I've had face-to-face conversations with cops over the years for a variety of different reasons. Overall, they aren't looking to make anyone's life miserable solely at the complaint of one person for something that is generally a "first world problem" sort of complaint. Best bet is to know the local noise ordinance laws, local vehicle noise ordinance laws, and make completely certain that the car is well within the confines of all of it.

Then, just to irk the dad, offer to take his kid for a ride and get him some ice cream or something. Leave dad at the curb drooling and get the kid all wound up in a good way about the car. "Solve" dad's problem by making it so that his only way to complain after that is to demonstrate that HE'S the one crying when the car starts up.
Here’s the reality in PA:
§ 157.11. Vehicular noise limits.

(a) Prohibition. No person shall operate either a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles of a type subject to registration at any time or under any condition of grade, load, acceleration or deceleration in such a manner as to exceed the following noise limit for the category of motor vehicle within the speed limits specified in Table 1.

Table 1
Maximum Permissible Sound Level Readings (decibel (A)) Highway operations test

(1) Any motor vehicle with a manufacturers gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 pounds or more and any combination of vehicles towed by such motor vehicle – Soft Site: 35 mph or less: 86. Above 35 mph: 90. Hard Site: 35 mph or less: 88. Above 35 mph: 92.
(2) Any motorcycle other than a motor-driven cycle – Soft Site: 35 mph or less: 82. Above 35 mph: 86. Hard Site: 35 mph or less: 84. Above 35 mph: 88.
3) Any other motor vehicle and any combination of vehicles towed by such motor vehicles – Soft Site: 35 mph or less: 76. Above 35 mph: 82. Hard Site: 35 mph or less: 78. Above 35 mph: 84.

(b) Measurement distance. The noise limits established by this section shall be based on a distance of 50 feet from the center lane of travel within the speed limit specified in this section. Measurements at distances closer than 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel may be made. In such a case, the measuring device shall be so calibrated as to provide for measurements equivalent to the noise limit established by this section measured at 50 feet.
(c) Trucks. A truck, truck tractor, or bus that is not equipped with an identification plate or marking bearing the name and gross vehicle weight rating of the manufacturer shall be considered as having a gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 pounds or more if the unladen weight is more than 5,000 pounds

Also, a phone dB meter at a distance of choosing is irrelevant to the above statute. Under PA statute they will no-doubt have a designated equipment requirement & stated distance, usually perpendicular to the vehicle, height off the ground, and administered by a qualified individual. (I didn’t dig that far into their statutes aside from seeing 50’ application from centerline, or closer than that with calibration)

Yeah, I’m gonna say that’s a bad idea.

“Little Sally, where did you say the bad man touched you?”

OP, you need to diffuse this situation ASAP. My gues is it could turn out to be a literal PITA if he pushes the issue.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #47
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Buy a Harley and start it up at 6am every morning.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #48
activeSS

Drives: Radiant Red SS 1LE & ZL1
I always close the NPP into touring when I am in my neighborhood. I figure my neighbors aren't impressed with my car or it's noise or they would own something similar.
activeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:15 AM   #49
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Just ignore and if he escalates it just call child service and tell them your neighbours little girl is crying all the time.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #50
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
Here’s the reality in PA:
§ 157.11. Vehicular noise limits.

(a) Prohibition. No person shall operate either a motor vehicle or combination of vehicles of a type subject to registration at any time or under any condition of grade, load, acceleration or deceleration in such a manner as to exceed the following noise limit for the category of motor vehicle within the speed limits specified in Table 1.

Table 1
Maximum Permissible Sound Level Readings (decibel (A)) Highway operations test

(1) Any motor vehicle with a manufacturers gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 pounds or more and any combination of vehicles towed by such motor vehicle – Soft Site: 35 mph or less: 86. Above 35 mph: 90. Hard Site: 35 mph or less: 88. Above 35 mph: 92.
(2) Any motorcycle other than a motor-driven cycle – Soft Site: 35 mph or less: 82. Above 35 mph: 86. Hard Site: 35 mph or less: 84. Above 35 mph: 88.
3) Any other motor vehicle and any combination of vehicles towed by such motor vehicles – Soft Site: 35 mph or less: 76. Above 35 mph: 82. Hard Site: 35 mph or less: 78. Above 35 mph: 84.

(b) Measurement distance. The noise limits established by this section shall be based on a distance of 50 feet from the center lane of travel within the speed limit specified in this section. Measurements at distances closer than 50 feet from the center of the lane of travel may be made. In such a case, the measuring device shall be so calibrated as to provide for measurements equivalent to the noise limit established by this section measured at 50 feet.
(c) Trucks. A truck, truck tractor, or bus that is not equipped with an identification plate or marking bearing the name and gross vehicle weight rating of the manufacturer shall be considered as having a gross vehicle weight rating of 6,000 pounds or more if the unladen weight is more than 5,000 pounds

Also, a phone dB meter at a distance of choosing is irrelevant to the above statute. Under PA statute they will no-doubt have a designated equipment requirement & stated distance, usually perpendicular to the vehicle, height off the ground, and administered by a qualified individual. (I didn’t dig that far into their statutes aside from seeing 50’ application from centerline, or closer than that with calibration)

Yeah, I’m gonna say that’s a bad idea.

“Little Sally, where did you say the bad man touched you?”

OP, you need to diffuse this situation ASAP. My gues is it could turn out to be a literal PITA if he pushes the issue.
So, it would be regulated by bullet 3. And, I agree that a phone dB meter app isn't going to be acceptable proof. However... It CAN give a reasonably decent estimate.

They will absolutely use the 76/78 readings for "35MPH or less" since 0 is less than 35 and they will measure it in a parking lot.

At 50', a reading of 76 would translate -roughly- to a reading of about 85-88 at 10'. My car (non-NPP) idles at around 60dB measured at 10' and cold start peaks at about 85. They will not measure cold start on the car, only idle. And, with NPP, all he has to do is close the valves.

I used an iPhone XR with the DecibelX app for reference against a stock car and had the phone's microphone (bottom) pointed towards the rear of the car, centered, at approximately 12" off of the ground when I did the cold start and idle measurements. I also checked numbers at 3000RPM (revving) and saw 74dB.

I was joking about taking the kid for a ride, but you are absolutely correct that it likely would go very bad very quickly.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:23 AM   #51
Orangeman13

Drives: 2023 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxcam02 View Post
I hate to say this but I would straight pipe my shit if anyone came up saying that to me. But I'm kind of a petty dick head.

Download a decibel reading app on your phone and place it on the property line then start your car and see what the reading is. Use that next time your neighbor says something.

I agree.
Orangeman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:27 AM   #52
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Is the neighbor "stable"
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #53
Malbjey

Drives: 2022 Kia Stinger GT2
Is the kid autistic, or have some kind of mental handicap? I'm not saying this to be funny. A child who's on the spectrum could get upset by loud, sudden noises. So I won't readily jump to the conclusion that the father is lying.

As others have mentioned, check the vehicular noise ordinance. That's the ONLY thing you should be concerned about legally.
Malbjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #54
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I'd like to think I very conscientious of the sound of my NPP equipped car. My neighbors especially. I wish the system would remain closed on startup in Stealth mode.

Germans take it very seriously with a dozen families living on top of another seemingly (Sundays are no noise/work - by law). I will fire it up (garaged) and immediately fast idle down the driveway.

So far no issues, but I rarely start the car at home.

This is true at my last Florida residence - amazing what a put off it is to most folks when it comes to cars...and has been said - they can really ruin your day in many ways.

I can only imagine without cats and/or equipped with headers.

Matter of fact, my last project was a 400 CHP LS-swapped BMW and went with 2 x 3 inch mufflers in series. Amazingly quiet...found myself at WOT much more time on the streets than I would ever do with a loud car. Was quite enjoyable and never caught attention except for the car guys noticing that was not an inline 6!

Loud pipes may save lives (or is it walk softly and carry a big stick?), but they irritate majority at the same time.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #55
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Neighbors aren't your friends! They are people that decided to move into the same area as you. F that guy, what a total snowflake passing it along to his crybaby child.

Can you tell I hate my neighborhood? I've leaned there is no pleasing people that don't matter in your life, so don't even try!
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #56
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
So, it would be regulated by bullet 3. And, I agree that a phone dB meter app isn't going to be acceptable proof. However... It CAN give a reasonably decent estimate.

They will absolutely use the 76/78 readings for "35MPH or less" since 0 is less than 35 and they will measure it in a parking lot.

At 50', a reading of 76 would translate -roughly- to a reading of about 85-88 at 10'. My car (non-NPP) idles at around 60dB measured at 10' and cold start peaks at about 85. They will not measure cold start on the car, only idle. And, with NPP, all he has to do is close the valves.

I used an iPhone XR with the DecibelX app for reference against a stock car and had the phone's microphone (bottom) pointed towards the rear of the car, centered, at approximately 12" off of the ground when I did the cold start and idle measurements. I also checked numbers at 3000RPM (revving) and saw 74dB.

I was joking about taking the kid for a ride, but you are absolutely correct that it likely would go very bad very quickly.
It wasn’t stated if he retained the NPP, or had it to begin with, so there’s a variable.

Not sure where a headered & catless non-NPP ATAK would land, but it’s going to be substantially louder than yours, or mine, stock.

76db is a relatively middle of the road requirement, IMHO.

Here in WI, it can’t be louder than stock, period. Most city cops will not bother you, unless it’s really obnoxious. State troopers on the other hand love to write tickets.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote