Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 12-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #15
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
I was a Mustang guy all the way back to the first car I ever bought new, an '89LX 5.0. Most recent was a '17 GT PP1. After tracking it, and figuring out how much work it really needed for the track, I started looking at GT350s. ADM and engine issues slowed my roll, and then a ZL1 showed up at our local Chevy dealer with 2700 miles. Done deal.

ZL1 is a better car in just about every respect, but the things that really stood out were the interior, and the suspension. Having torque everywhere is a huge improvement over the 5.0 Coyote on the street.

Another thing is that the Mustang attracted every asshat on the road... no matter what they were driving, they either wanted to race, or just get in your way. The ZL1 seems to fly under everyones' radar.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #16
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
I'm not a Ford guy, I'm a Chevy guy. I never even considered a Mustang and never would. Just like I own a Chevy Tahoe and Chevy Impala and would never consider a Ford Expedition or Ford Fusion.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #17
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I had a 15GT/PP1 car and it was a great ride but it required about a 1K+ in Steeda parts to deal with the horrible wheel hop in the IRS. The 1LE chassis is night and day better, torque everywhere, you had to run that Coyote >4K to have any nuts.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #18
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Couldn't get / find color combo I wanted, same MPG, hundred+ horsepower less.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #19
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
never been into ford junk
Old 12-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #20
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
Easy...

Old 12-23-2020, 10:42 AM   #21
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
I had no bias or brand loyalty going into it... My final two options was between the Camaro SS/2SS and Mustang GT.

When I went and test drove the Mustang GT, it was nice, but felt so 'generic'. Mostly, the interior. It felt lower quality than the Camaro and the styling and ergonomics for sure was nowhere as good as the Camaro. Given the interior is where you spend most of your time, that's a pretty big deal. It looked very dated to me honestly.

Driving wise, it felt great. No real complaints there.

Immediately after driving the Mustang GT, I went right to another dealer to drive the 2SS. Within an hour of each other. That is where I made my final call and I knew it within seconds of sitting inside (I drove an SS prior to the Mustang already, for reference).

Camaro was just so special on the interior. I love the cockpit feel, it's exotic and feels like a supercar. Exterior styling is significantly better, IMO.

A bit more 'rarity' as well in my parts. I see probably 15-20 mustangs for every Camaro here, seriously. Even harder to find the SS/ZL1's here in the 'wild'. See a lot more 5.0's.

The engines/transmissions are comparable, so that's a wash. Splitting hairs there.

However... The handling of the Camaro just felt more 'right' to me. The ride was just a better experience. The way the Camaro handles turns and aggressive driving just makes me smile a lot more. Also, the exhaust/engine note I give the edge to Camaro, as well... Especially with NPP.

So basically, the Camaro won because of exterior and interior styling, exhaust note and handling. That's a pretty big deal.

At the end of the day, both are nice. Camaro is just a level up though (or two!).
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #22
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
I have to defend the mustang MT82 here like I defended the camaro over there with the "visibility" reason for not buying.

There are MAYBE a handful of bad trans's from 2011 that started this feeling. But the real deal is way more bad drivers. People not understanding how to properly shift and drive a manual V8 muscle car. I had (2) 2011 GTs, a 2012 GT and a 2014 GT all with the MT82. Never had one issue with the almost 100k miles spread across all those cars I owned. Those trans's are not gods gift to racing, but I've had my share of shit trans's with other cars as well. A nice shifter and some solid trans mounts completely fixes any lock out problem you could have.

Now Im sure there are bad MT82s out there, but I can almost guaranty they are caused by bad drivers.

Just as "visibility" might be an issue in the camaro if you are 4'11" or 6'8". But for the majority of normal sized adults, you can see out fine. Not about getting that large coke from McDonalds through the window at the drive threw...

That is a fair point, by my own standards the valve springs issue should've taken the Camaro out of the running for me.

That said, it is an emotional thing and my first car was a Camaro, so I was naturally drawn to the camaro.

I have nothing against mustangs, my parents are mustang people, but I've been a Camaro guy. I'd have no problem buying a ford, i tend to think Chevy makes more comfortable interiors, but I like fords just as well.

MY last car was an Acura, I've no loyalty, these massive globo-companies have no loyalty to us.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #23
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScatPack View Post
No offense but thats a silly torch to carry. If another brand is doing something you like better, or just straight up better, why not switch?
Says you with the bow tie icon and mopar user name...

I guess, I am just to old school, its a Chevy /GM that’s it.

Most people in my age group would hopefully be the same way.
It what fueled the big three with AMC looking in for decades.
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #24
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintslinger16 View Post
Says you with the bow tie icon and mopar user name...

I guess, I am just to old school, its a Chevy /GM that’s it.

Most people in my age group would hopefully be the same way.
It what fueled the big three with AMC looking in for decades.

i have a bowtie on my back so im kind of stuck thank god i didnt get a pontiac or saturn tattoo haha
Old 12-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #25
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
bowtie till i die
Old 12-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #26
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertalon View Post
A bit more 'rarity' as well in my parts. I see probably 15-20 mustangs for every Camaro here, seriously. Even harder to find the SS/ZL1's here in the 'wild'. See a lot more 5.0's.
From April of 2017 to now, I first had a 1SS 1LE, and now, since February of 2020, a ZL1. In that time period I think I've seen 3 ZL1's. They must be out there, but I don't see them. I like that.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #27
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I've had several mustangs in the past and each time of 2nd chances, and have been disappointed. IMHO, they're not good value for the $$. So I've written off anything from the blue oval. I'll stick with GM products and if I ever decide to change in the future, it'll be Toyota or Honda.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:13 AM   #28
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Simple answer: my brother got one after I got my Camaro. As funny as it sounds, we basically had each others spec (Black exterior, mag ride, red interior etc...) after driving both cars back to back here’s my conclusion.

The Mustang: What a hell of a car that is. I tell people if you are looking for a fun, sporty car that is great for daily driving (hence the Grand Touring name) the prancing pony is the car for you.

The Camaro: The most track capable “muscle car” of the group. I think we can all agree that the Camaro isn’t the most daily drivable car for everyday use (small trunk space, below average visibility, tight interior). If you like to race, the Camaro is the car for you.

Something I also want to put out is that this was a dream car for me since I can remember. I don’t think I’ve ever had a car that’s made me so happy when I see it. To be completely honest, I’m still in disbelief I even have the Camaro in my garage right now.
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote