Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 11-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
RedGlare

Drives: 2012 honda civic Si
Cross shopping please advice,

Good day fellow gearheads,

I have a really odd cross shop list and need some advice from you guys,
long story short is I am graduating medical school and will be starting my residency soon. I currently drive a 2012 honda civic Si (6mt), I am finally in a position to afford something faster (I used to own a 350z and an s2000 back in the day), as you can see I am not stranger for RWD or Power

I will be within a few hour drive from the tail of the dragon (NC) and have a lot of twisty backroads.

I considered the SS and the mustang GT, (would pick SS) but I eliminated them both due to them having too much power for the purpose I will be using the car (twisty lowspeed backroads).

My list came down to this:
6th gen Camaro v6 6mt
370z w/ sport package 6mt, autorevmatch (not sure if maro has that on v6)
Evo X GSR (5 mt)
subaru BRZ (seems perfect for my purpose, not enough power to merge onto highway lol)
mustang ecoboost / or v6 (really not leaning to this choice, since the other options are much more appealing)
new miata (can't have a convertible when it snows!)
bmw 335i (too expensive, would have to get used one - really want a new car

Have I missed anything else I should consider for my purposes?
Oh, the car will be staying stock for the most part, besides a radar jammer & a nice exhaust system, maybe drop in filter, & a nice shiftknob, maybe a set of lightweight rims.

Make an argument for your choice for me - whether its performance, price, etc
Thank you and have a joyful thanksgiving
RedGlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
TheSpectre

Drives: Boxster GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGlare View Post
Good day fellow gearheads,

I have a really odd cross shop list and need some advice from you guys,
long story short is I am graduating medical school and will be starting my residency soon. I currently drive a 2012 honda civic Si (6mt), I am finally in a position to afford something faster (I used to own a 350z and an s2000 back in the day), as you can see I am not stranger for RWD or Power

I will be within a few hour drive from the tail of the dragon (NC) and have a lot of twisty backroads.

I considered the SS and the mustang GT, (would pick SS) but I eliminated them both due to them having too much power for the purpose I will be using the car (twisty lowspeed backroads).

My list came down to this:
6th gen Camaro v6 6mt
370z w/ sport package 6mt, autorevmatch (not sure if maro has that on v6)
Evo X GSR (5 mt)
subaru BRZ (seems perfect for my purpose, not enough power to merge onto highway lol)
mustang ecoboost / or v6 (really not leaning to this choice, since the other options are much more appealing)
new miata (can't have a convertible when it snows!)
bmw 335i (too expensive, would have to get used one - really want a new car

Have I missed anything else I should consider for my purposes?
Oh, the car will be staying stock for the most part, besides a radar jammer & a nice exhaust system, maybe drop in filter, & a nice shiftknob, maybe a set of lightweight rims.

Make an argument for your choice for me - whether its performance, price, etc
Thank you and have a joyful thanksgiving
Starting your residency and you think you'll have money to spare? That's so cute.

Take it from me. Keep the car you have until you are through residency and actually working for yourself, with proper pay.
TheSpectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
Curr
Probably doesn't like you

Drives: 2022 WCT ZL1 M6
Not sure why you can't have a 'vert when it snows... Something we should lets those folks in Canada / Scandinavia?!

I know a couple guys here (NW of Boston) who drive Miata's year round. Only issues they have is when the snow is higher than the ground clearance of the car.

Out of that list... I'd get a 2LT convertible if you want, coupe if you don't.

كافر
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
железобетонное очко
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
There is an unequal amount of good and bad in most things, the trick is to work out the ratio and act accordingly.
Curr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #4
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Not sure how the SS and GT have too much power for twisties, they have better grip and handling than many of the vehicles on your list. Also I would think the Evo X GSR would be too fast since it runs pretty much the same as the GT. The 6th gen V6 is not really a cornering machine with it's stock tires and suspension, but can definitely be made that way. Perhaps you can elaborate.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
juzefzoozoo

Drives: 2012 997.2 911 GTS, 6mt
A gen 6 V6 1LE would probably be a brilliant mountain carver. Unfortunately, no one yet knows if such a dream will exist.
juzefzoozoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 02:49 PM   #6
RedGlare

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpectre View Post
Starting your residency and you think you'll have money to spare? That's so cute.

Take it from me. Keep the car you have until you are through residency and actually working for yourself, with proper pay.
Haha I know, but making something after 4 years of school seems like a lot right now! (& I am on an income based repayment plan so I will only be paying about $400 a month for now), the civic is nice but I am ready for a real car now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curr View Post
Not sure why you can't have a 'vert when it snows... Something we should lets those folks in Canada / Scandinavia?!

I know a couple guys here (NW of Boston) who drive Miata's year round. Only issues they have is when the snow is higher than the ground clearance of the car.

Out of that list... I'd get a 2LT convertible if you want, coupe if you don't.
I used to have an s2000, needles to say the heater could barely keep up with the cold, & car won't be garaged, also I understand the vert will be a couple hundred pounds heavier which is counter productive to my twisty carving plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Not sure how the SS and GT have too much power for twisties, they have better grip and handling than many of the vehicles on your list. Also I would think the Evo X GSR would be too fast since it runs pretty much the same as the GT. The 6th gen V6 is not really a cornering machine with it's stock tires and suspension, but can definitely be made that way. Perhaps you can elaborate.
455hp for a tiny road like tail of the dragon is a huge overkill, anything over 350hp is overkill for backroad carving imo. I'd probably kill myself before the break in was over in an SS/GT lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzefzoozoo View Post
A gen 6 V6 1LE would probably be a brilliant mountain carver. Unfortunately, no one yet knows if such a dream will exist.
Would really consider this as a contender.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Don't forget naturally aspirated engines lose HP at higher altitudes, so consider that when you're thinking 455 HP is overkill
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #8
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
As far as the convertible - technology and what is considered acceptable is always advancing. I wouldn't expect for a modern convertible to have problems keeping the cabin warm.

The 370Z is getting pretty long in tooth so I wouldn't consider it a good choice if buying new.

The BRZ will definitely feel down on power.

The Evo - its still a Mitsubishi - and a pretty old one at that.

Other options:

Camaro 2.0T: Don't count this one out just yet. It will still have plenty of power, and since its the lightest model it should be the most tossable in the twisties. Also, since GM lets you option the car as you want with any of the engines its not like you're driving a no-option base model.

Cadillac ATS (sedan or coupe) - with the 2.0T and M6. Cadillacs aren't selling that great so I'm sure you can get a really good deal.

Fiat 124 - based on the Miata but with a turbo 4cyl.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:52 PM   #9
RedGlare

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
As far as the convertible - technology and what is considered acceptable is always advancing. I wouldn't expect for a modern convertible to have problems keeping the cabin warm.

The 370Z is getting pretty long in tooth so I wouldn't consider it a good choice if buying new.

The BRZ will definitely feel down on power.

The Evo - its still a Mitsubishi - and a pretty old one at that.

Other options:

Camaro 2.0T: Don't count this one out just yet. It will still have plenty of power, and since its the lightest model it should be the most tossable in the twisties. Also, since GM lets you option the car as you want with any of the engines its not like you're driving a no-option base model.

Cadillac ATS (sedan or coupe) - with the 2.0T and M6. Cadillacs aren't selling that great so I'm sure you can get a really good deal.

Fiat 124 - based on the Miata but with a turbo 4cyl.
good point on the imports, but the 370 and the evo can be had with some ludicrous discounts, just had a friend buy a 2015 evox for way under the lowest price I could find online. They are practically giving them away from what I understand.
I still have some time before I purchase so hopefully GM will stamp out a ton of v6 manuals soon.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:26 PM   #10
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by juzefzoozoo View Post
Very interesting idea! Though I wonder if they would do it with the 4 or 6 cyl. You are basically talking about setting up a spec race series car..... like the Miata.

Stock brembo, summer tires (maybe 19" wheels on a square setup?), stiffer suspension, the extra cooling, racing seats. Bam, Done! (And if they offered the auto the limited slip rear end.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
This is an excellent suggestion.

Before deciding that I had to have the camaro I was chasing a lightly used V6 Cadillac ATS. They can be found for right around $30,000 with low mileage.

Talking about a classy car that has respectable performance and won't break the bank. If they offered a manual trans I'd probably be driving one already.

I have no need to know your financial situation. But, if you happen to have a substantial student loan debt I'd reconsider almost any car purchase. My much younger little brother is about to start medical school. 6+% interest rates on a $500,000 + student loan debt is criminal IMHO. No reason our government should be creating student loan slaves as they are. (I graduated with a business degree 15 years ago with $26,000 in debt on a 2.3% interest rate.)

Having a home mortgage sized student loan debt payment coming out of college is rather depressing.

My comments are more about the current state of the system than your financial status. If you can afford it have at it. My only advice here is to consider your situation and the available options.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:36 PM   #11
Clarkson

Drives: 2013 volkswagen tiguan
To me, I would get a v6 mustang just for its price and the fact that it is more of a complete package option wise... (got hid lamps and all else)
Clarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #12
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
WTF is "too much power"!? Lol

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:08 PM   #13
RedGlare

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTIanZ28 View Post
Very interesting idea! Though I wonder if they would do it with the 4 or 6 cyl. You are basically talking about setting up a spec race series car..... like the Miata.

Stock brembo, summer tires (maybe 19" wheels on a square setup?), stiffer suspension, the extra cooling, racing seats. Bam, Done! (And if they offered the auto the limited slip rear end.)

This is an excellent suggestion.

Before deciding that I had to have the camaro I was chasing a lightly used V6 Cadillac ATS. They can be found for right around $30,000 with low mileage.

Talking about a classy car that has respectable performance and won't break the bank. If they offered a manual trans I'd probably be driving one already.

I have no need to know your financial situation. But, if you happen to have a substantial student loan debt I'd reconsider almost any car purchase. My much younger little brother is about to start medical school. 6+% interest rates on a $500,000 + student loan debt is criminal IMHO. No reason our government should be creating student loan slaves as they are. (I graduated with a business degree 15 years ago with $26,000 in debt on a 2.3% interest rate.)

Having a home mortgage sized student loan debt payment coming out of college is rather depressing.

My comments are more about the current state of the system than your financial status. If you can afford it have at it. My only advice here is to consider your situation and the available options.
You are definitely the voice of reason, its hard to argue with this, my only argument is that life is too short, I could just go ahead and wait until after residency and until the debt is paid off (btw I am about $325k in the hole, half at 7% and half at 2.5%), I am 26 now, residency in emergency medicine is 4 years (that's basically another 4 years without my passion), I am a really huge gear head, I will be 30-31 by the time I start making a respectable salary, probably pay off my debt by the time im 35 if I live frugal, that's basically 9 years without one of my most passionate hobbies.

If you asked me this same question 2 years ago I would undoubtedly nod my head in agreement, now that I am getting older I begin to fathom that life is very short, when its over I can't take this debt with me, just like I can't take any material possessions with me, but I can reminisce about the fun times I had carving corners on my rare days off.

This sound really illogical but that is just how I feel, maybe I am just worn out from studying.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:36 PM   #14
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGlare View Post
You are definitely the voice of reason, its hard to argue with this, my only argument is that life is too short, I could just go ahead and wait until after residency and until the debt is paid off (btw I am about $325k in the hole, half at 7% and half at 2.5%), I am 26 now, residency in emergency medicine is 4 years (that's basically another 4 years without my passion), I am a really huge gear head, I will be 30-31 by the time I start making a respectable salary, probably pay off my debt by the time im 35 if I live frugal, that's basically 9 years without one of my most passionate hobbies.

If you asked me this same question 2 years ago I would undoubtedly nod my head in agreement, now that I am getting older I begin to fathom that life is very short, when its over I can't take this debt with me, just like I can't take any material possessions with me, but I can reminisce about the fun times I had carving corners on my rare days off.

This sound really illogical but that is just how I feel, maybe I am just worn out from studying.
You sound much like my little brother. He is unfortunately suffering through the end of the life of a Toyota Celica 4cyl. He got the car bug from me at around 10 years old in my camaro z28. A few 0-100 runs on country roads will do that to a child.

I do feel bad for him now that he can't enjoy the auto enthusiast side of his personality.

He needs a new car...... But he has med school ahead of him. Whereas you have finished and are looking at residency. Extremely different situations. He is now considering a used Impreza or a Miata last I heard.

Many cars will suit your needs. But, if it must be new; the camaro is definitely bang for your buck. If it has to be a V8 the 2015's are a bargain with the current 20% off discount. Used C6 Vettes are a bargain right now as well.

Edit: you made it through med school. I'm in no position to give you advice. Respect

Edit #2: plan on your debt taking 2x longer to pay off than you anticipate. Delays: get married (if you aren't already), child, buy a home, (heaven forbid a lawsuit), etc.... So many potential setbacks. Just plan for it to take a long time.

Last edited by GTIanZ28; 11-23-2015 at 09:56 PM.
GTIanZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote