Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-08-2020, 07:48 PM   #1
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
HP Numbers on 93 octane

Does anyone have an idea on how much wheel horsepower can be squeezed out of a LS3 using maximum 93 pump gas?

When I look at smaller pulleys for the supercharger it requires higher octane or different fuel.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:23 PM   #2
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
Does anyone have an idea on how much wheel horsepower can be squeezed out of a LS3 using maximum 93 pump gas?

When I look at smaller pulleys for the supercharger it requires higher octane or different fuel.
That question is way too loaded and vague at the same time...

Let’s slow up a moment...

If you are specifically asking about your car, tell us about the build... Are we talking N/A or forced induction? You mention pulleys but we need more detail.

Are you hypothetically asking how much power can be made using nothing “higher” in octane than 93 or are you looking at adding forced induction and trying to determine potential future outcomes...

If you already have a build, and are skeptical about the results, we can steer you in the right direction but we need more information to help.....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:34 PM   #3
Athletics101

Drives: 5th Gen L99
I agree with the above post, but I’ll play ball on the question. Octane limits 620-650.
LSA conversion 2.5 upper 10% lower, L99 converted to LS3. TSP 229/244 cam, TSP LS3 ported and milled heads milled .015,Kooks LT’s no cats, Roto Fab, Borla arak cat back. 3200 stall,Forgestar F14 18’s and drag radials, pedders coil overs, BMR trailing arms & adjustable toe rods, mildly stripped Interior 685/613 on E 610/571 on 91
Athletics101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:13 AM   #4
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
I did 659 on 93 octane.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:14 AM   #5
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Bound View Post
I did 659 on 93 octane.
Yes you did, damned fine job too I might add...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 09-09-2020, 08:54 AM   #6
fireman1153

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I've managed 850whp on 93 but that is with meth injection. I've had the meth injection ever since going procharger so I wouldn't know what it would do without. I also have larger injectors and fuel system. For stock fuel system and 93, I would have to agree with the above. 700 would be an absolute limit. Remember to not push the duty cycle of your injectors too far.
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS - 416 stroker, F1A-94 procharger, BTR blower cam, Big Red race valve, AGP intercooler, Alky dual nozzle kit, ZL1 fuel pump with DSX Aux pump, DSX flex fuel sensor, Bosch 210 injectors, Mcleod RXT1200 clutch, MGW flat stick, Tick Performance Level 3 trans, DSS 3.5 aluminum driveshaft, Strange S60 rear, DSS 1400hp axles, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, X-pipe and MBRP muffler delete, BMR lowering springs, BMR trailing arms and toe rods, Poly motor mounts, RevShift trans mount instert, rear sub frame braces, Tuned by Joey at Pure Fabrication in Panama City, FL
fireman1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #7
fz4k98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
That question is way too loaded and vague at the same time...

Let’s slow up a moment...

If you are specifically asking about your car, tell us about the build... Are we talking N/A or forced induction? You mention pulleys but we need more detail.

Are you hypothetically asking how much power can be made using nothing “higher” in octane than 93 or are you looking at adding forced induction and trying to determine potential future outcomes...

If you already have a build, and are skeptical about the results, we can steer you in the right direction but we need more information to help.....
Thanks for the response. I have a 2013 ls3 with a whipple 2.9 and 4 inch pulley. 1 7/8 headers with high flow cats, car and dyno tune. The dyno showed 610 peak rwhp. I saw a chart online that showed going to a smaller pulley would need different fuel than 93 octane.

I mostly daily drive the car and like the convenience of pump gas.
Old 09-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #8
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
Thanks for the response. I have a 2013 ls3 with a whipple 2.9 and 4 inch pulley. 1 7/8 headers with high flow cats, car and dyno tune. The dyno showed 610 peak rwhp. I saw a chart online that showed going to a smaller pulley would need different fuel than 93 octane.

I mostly daily drive the car and like the convenience of pump gas.
Now we are chewing the fat...

So the pulley resize and fuel requirements are only determined on the dyno by a tuner.

They can see the response of the knock sensors and other factors and make adjustments as they go.... Every car is different and even like “grades” of fuel are different in different areas...

If the car is turned up as far as it can go right now with regards to fuel availability and knock sensing and tune safety factored in, then a pulley might require different fuel solutions...

There may be room to play in the timing as well.

I’m not a tuner and I don’t speak that language, but suffice it to say the only “safe” way to pulley down is with a tune. I’m guessing there is a lot of timing in your car relative to mine, as I only run 11-12 degrees at WOT.

I’m sure you know this but I feel compelled to state it, remember a dyno number is only a bit of information from a tool used to optimize a vehicle....

Your dyno results can’t be randomly compared to those of another car in another local... Density altitude, ambient air temps, heat soak, fuel quality etc, all play a part in the final number, and every dyno reads differently....

Pulley down with the aid of a tune and build a safe tune. Please don’t chase a hypothetical number or sweat another persons results.... As we all know, there is a lot of internet lore going into numbers and results.... Not all do so, but a lot do... It’s part of the fun for some, nothing at all wrong with it, it’s a mind game.. A dyno and a tuner are the only way to really find out your options...

Old 09-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #9
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Interesting discussion. I'm gathering parts now and will be keeping the 93 as E85 is not too common here. But I'm already guessing what the car might make.
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:37 PM   #10
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Mine made 746rwhp on 93 only (meth was turned off) @ 10psi. Granted, I have heads, LTs, full 3" exhaust, cam, and a fuel system to support. Those numbers were achieved with a 3.625" pulley.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:19 PM   #11
fz4k98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Now we are chewing the fat...

So the pulley resize and fuel requirements are only determined on the dyno by a tuner.

They can see the response of the knock sensors and other factors and make adjustments as they go.... Every car is different and even like “grades” of fuel are different in different areas...

If the car is turned up as far as it can go right now with regards to fuel availability and knock sensing and tune safety factored in, then a pulley might require different fuel solutions...

There may be room to play in the timing as well.

I’m not a tuner and I don’t speak that language, but suffice it to say the only “safe” way to pulley down is with a tune. I’m guessing there is a lot of timing in your car relative to mine, as I only run 11-12 degrees at WOT.

I’m sure you know this but I feel compelled to state it, remember a dyno number is only a bit of information from a tool used to optimize a vehicle....

Your dyno results can’t be randomly compared to those of another car in another local... Density altitude, ambient air temps, heat soak, fuel quality etc, all play a part in the final number, and every dyno reads differently....

Pulley down with the aid of a tune and build a safe tune. Please don’t chase a hypothetical number or sweat another persons results.... As we all know, there is a lot of internet lore going into numbers and results.... Not all do so, but a lot do... It’s part of the fun for some, nothing at all wrong with it, it’s a mind game.. A dyno and a tuner are the only way to really find out your options...
Thanks for taking time to explain this. Doing a pulley swap while utilizing a tuner to control it makes good sense and was something I was not thinking about but will be looking into it.

I agree the dyno number is a reference but am looking at it as a base to see if a change can get another 50 to 75 hp with some changes.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:37 AM   #12
Mauimax3
Mauimax3

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
670 on 93
Magnuson Supercharger, ZL-1 Fuel Pump, Kenny Belle Boost-a-Pump, Kook's LongTube, BTR Stage II, Trunion upgrade, ATI Superdampner, Nick Williams 102mm, Elite Eng. Can, Borla ATAK exhaust w/flow thru cats, CAI box. BMR Suspension upgrades. Dr Phil tuned.
Mauimax3 is offline   Reply With Quote