Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-21-2020, 05:59 AM   #1
Rochie

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Hood heat extractor clearance

Hi guys
I have a 2010 SS with TVS 2300 blower. I want to install a vent heat extractor in the hood to help with cooling. Does anyone know if the ‘4teen’ insert will clear the blower? If not has anyone installed the SLP one on a 2010 with a blower setup?
Very nervous about cutting into the hood then finding it doesnt work!!
Any help or advice would be great.
Thanks
Attached Images

Rochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:07 PM   #2
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
I believe SLP has one that clears without issue. What does Phastek have to say about it? They're pretty good about knowing what works with what.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:29 PM   #3
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
If you’re not doing this for cosmetics, an easy trial adjustment is to open the hood, then remove the weather stripping at the top of the firewall. This will allow the escape of a lot of underhood heat and air which has the added affect of reducing front end lift and in my experience reduces hood bounce at speed...

Check and see if that helps your underhood temps and then decide if you want to proceed with cutting the hood....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
If you’re not doing this for cosmetics, then an easy trial adjustment is to open the hood, then remove the weather stripping at the top of the firewall. This will allow the escape of a lot of underhood heat and air which has the added affect of reducing front end lift and in my experience reduces hood bounce at speed...

Check and see if that helps your underhood temps and then decide if you want to proceed with cutting the hood....
This will also allow toxic air from the engine compartment to get into the
cabin when you have the heat or A/C on. So,if you have any oil burning on
the engine, exhaust leaks, you'll smell it.

ALSO, I run without the engine cover, and my intake plenum is never hot
to the touch. I run 376+ miles a day, and at my last gas stop, I open the
hood to check the oil and so on. I can touch the metal intake manifold
and it's barely warm, and actually COLD in 45 degree weather. The engine
cover is what retains the heat, not the hood.

Doesn't matter what the block temperature is, if it's cooler air you're looking
for, and cooler for performance, remove the engine cover.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:57 PM   #5
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
If you’re not doing this for cosmetics, then an easy trial adjustment is to open the hood, then remove the weather stripping at the top of the firewall. This will allow the escape of a lot of underhood heat and air which has the added affect of reducing front end lift and in my experience reduces hood bounce at speed...

I did this with my 2011 built SS/RS and it works great! Reduces the engine compartment temps considerably. and DOES NOT let toxic under hood smells get into the cabin when the AC and heater are running. Just saying... Also the corvette guys do this too, that's where I got it from..
Old 08-21-2020, 09:32 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
This will also allow toxic air from the engine compartment to get into the
cabin when you have the heat or A/C on. So,if you have any oil burning on
the engine, exhaust leaks, you'll smell it.

ALSO, I run without the engine cover, and my intake plenum is never hot
to the touch. I run 376+ miles a day, and at my last gas stop, I open the
hood to check the oil and so on. I can touch the metal intake manifold
and it's barely warm, and actually COLD in 45 degree weather. The engine
cover is what retains the heat, not the hood.

Doesn't matter what the block temperature is, if it's cooler air you're looking
for, and cooler for performance, remove the engine cover.
Please, are your speaking from actual experience or is this internet lore and supposition. I did this as well before I ever built a motor and went TT.

Numerous friends have done the same and never experienced this “toxic” combination of exhaust fumes and burning oil....The weather strip is to keep road grime and potential oil or coolant spray from getting on the windshield. It doesn’t seal anything in the form of toxic fumes and smells...

As for the “engine” cover, note the OP has a TVS blower, so his engine cover is long gone.... He is looking for further cooling for the heat pump on top of his engine...

I also removed the big gawky engine cover, and built a 2000 rwhp TT car.... My intake, the actual intake, is usually ambient temps at the end of a WOT mile pass upwards of 225 mph... I’ll also venture my oil and coolant temps are lower than yours on your 376 mile jaunts.

OP, I only stated things I’ve actually done and have experience with....

10 Camarodude, you do you....
Attached Images

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 08-21-2020, 10:08 PM   #7
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
I bought ACS insert, it fit right into the stock insert hole. It clears my LSA without any issue.
Attached Images

2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:51 PM   #8
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
I bought ACS insert, it fit right into the stock insert hole. It clears my LSA without any issue.
That looks sharp...

Old 08-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Please, are your speaking from actual experience or is this internet lore and supposition. I did this as well before I ever built a motor and went TT.

Numerous friends have done the same and never experienced this “toxic” combination of exhaust fumes and burning oil....The weather strip is to keep road grime and potential oil or coolant spray from getting on the windshield. It doesn’t seal anything in the form of toxic fumes and smells...

As for the “engine” cover, note the OP has a TVS blower, so his engine cover is long gone.... He is looking for further cooling for the heat pump on top of his engine...

I also removed the big gawky engine cover, and built a 2000 rwhp TT car.... My intake, the actual intake, is usually ambient temps at the end of a WOT mile pass upwards of 225 mph... I’ll also venture my oil and coolant temps are lower than yours on your 376 mile jaunts.

OP, I only stated things I’ve actually done and have experience with....

10 Camarodude, you do you....
Well said my friend ! Nice setup by the way sir !!
Old 08-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #10
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
That looks really cool !!
Old 08-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #11
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Not to hijack the thread but I have one of these I'm not using if anyone is interested. I ended up using the stock insert and grinding it down to clear the Whipple.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 02:40 PM   #12
Wirthless

Drives: 2010 Camaro Rs/Ss
Will this work with a lsa under the hood ?
Wirthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:50 AM   #13
Tarendor

Drives: 2012 camaro 2ss rs L99
I don't know how much space you have between your sc and the liner but I can tell you that the oem hood vent sticks down below the oem hood liner about 1" at the back if you have the rain gutter on it. Without the gutter it's about 1/2" below the liner.

I added mine myself (wife freaked out when she saw me cutting my hood lol)
Attached Images

2012 2SS/RS, L99, no cats/mufflers, Ported intake manifold, fuel rail upgrade, ID1050x injectors, Vmax throttle body, 25% UDP, GPI DOD delete, GPI SS3, GPI cnc heads, GPI – 5/16″ Hardened Pushrods, BTR trunion upgrade, BTR .660 springs, pcv revamp w/dual catch cans, Circle D 3800, full BMR suspension & bushings. ZL1 fuel pump, HPT programmed fpcm. JMS bap, Snow VC-50 methanol setup. custom 4gal methonal tank, vs7875 turbo, FMIC, precision 46mm WG, 50mm BOV, 3bar map, SJM line lock, Innovate SCG-1, Hurst shifter with tap shift mod, ×2 Holley 14" fans Diy E85, Diy auxiliary pump
Tarendor is offline   Reply With Quote