Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-22-2023, 12:57 PM   #1
Jeauxy

Drives: 19' SW ZLE
Unhappy Ran over a rock...P015D code now?

Was hoping to hop in here and get some advice and input from you all on here.

Story: Was driving home yesterday when a truck hauling limestone rocks from some site ended up dropping a large rock off the back and I was going about 20mph without enough time to react out of the way...

There was a loud scraping sound under the car from the front to about mid way tranny area before the car cleared the rock like Titanic hitting an iceberg.

Car was fine until I got home about 10 min later and the check engine light came on. Took it to O'Reileys and it pulled a;

"P015D: Delayed Response Lean to Rich Bank 2 Sensor 1"

Came home, put the car up on the race ramps to take a look. Some decent uncarriage damage to the front skid plate. The real issue I guess is the damage to the CAT. You can see scratches and minor dent on where the rock was hitting.

There is also what appears to be a small space that water is dripping out of the heat sheild by the CAT. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Observation:

1. I don't see any ripped wires from O2 sensors
2. I don't see any punctures in the CAT or anywhere

So what could be causing this? Car runs fine, just not sure if the CAT is dead now or if I'm missing some damaged wiring somewhere.

I have attached pictures of the affected areas of concern. ANY and all help is greatly appreciated in advance! Just want to get it fixed asap. Thanks!

Past:
- 02' SS Procharged (stolen)
- 01' Z28 (sold)

Jeauxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 02:13 PM   #2
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
First off stop tailgating! A 20 mph reaction in a Camaro is nothing. Secondly said object interacted with your O2 sensor
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 02:25 PM   #3
Jeauxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
First off stop tailgating! A 20 mph reaction in a Camaro is nothing. Secondly said object interacted with your O2 sensor
I know I know! It was a 1 lane road through our neighborhood where they’re building new homes and roads. He hit a bump and it ejected the rock and didn’t see it to ready in time. Stupid me I know…

The O2 still looks intact though. I don’t see any wires impacted.

Bank 2 sensor 1 is drivers side correct?

Past:
- 01' Z28 (sold)

Old 11-22-2023, 02:59 PM   #4
CalgaryZL1

Yes
Old 11-22-2023, 03:01 PM   #5
CalgaryZL1

They are a lot like a spark plug, sensitive. They may not look damaged, but they are damaged. I would change it out.
Old 11-22-2023, 10:35 PM   #6
Jeauxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryZL1 View Post
They are a lot like a spark plug, sensitive. They may not look damaged, but they are damaged. I would change it out.
Fair enough will do. Appreciate the input!

Past:
- 01' Z28 (sold)

Old 11-23-2023, 06:22 AM   #7
SwL_Wildcat

Drives: 2024 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeauxy View Post
I know I know! It was a 1 lane road through our neighborhood where they’re building new homes and roads. He hit a bump and it ejected the rock and didn’t see it to ready in time. Stupid me I know…

The O2 still looks intact though. I don’t see any wires impacted.

Bank 2 sensor 1 is drivers side correct?
If the rock came off his load the driver/company is responsible for damage. Talk to the site supervisor and explain what happened. You can file a not at fault insurance claim, but the company might just say take it in and get it fixed and they will cover the bill. This is why truck drivers get hammered with "unsecured load" tickets by CVSE/DOT. If you have dash camera footage save it. There is also body/paint damage to the bottom of the car too.
SwL_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 08:40 AM   #8
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwL_Wildcat View Post
If the rock came off his load the driver/company is responsible for damage. Talk to the site supervisor and explain what happened. You can file a not at fault insurance claim, but the company might just say take it in and get it fixed and they will cover the bill. This is why truck drivers get hammered with "unsecured load" tickets by CVSE/DOT. If you have dash camera footage save it. There is also body/paint damage to the bottom of the car too.

This right here. Demand that they pay for the damages. These trucking companies often like to say they are not responsible for rock damage. That's true only if the rock/debris was already on the road. But if it comes from their load they are 100% responsible for that. I'll bet that's over $1K in damages.
Old 11-23-2023, 06:06 PM   #9
Og Neon
Lover of Speed

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I thought Bank 2 sensor 1 would be passenger side, front O2 (the one before the primary cat). I could be wrong though.

I am dealing with the same code but Bank 1 Sensor 1 (P015B) and there are a bunch of things that can cause that code unfortunately. I am thinking my cats are done since I run 15-50 full time.

2021 One Lap of America Track Videos
2019 One Lap of America Track Videos
2017 One Lap of America Track Videos

2022 Ram TRX
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
2020 Range Rover Sport SVR (Sold)
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT (Sold)
2014 Camaro Z/28 (Sold)
Og Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 06:52 PM   #10
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
This right here. Demand that they pay for the damages. These trucking companies often like to say they are not responsible for rock damage. That's true only if the rock/debris was already on the road. But if it comes from their load they are 100% responsible for that. I'll bet that's over $1K in damages.
It might not be true even then. They are required to have maintained safety guards or flaps, and if they do it’s unlikely debris from the road will be projected backwards. Rock haulers are the worst as they are typically paid by the load instead of hourly, so it’s pretty common for them to be a hazard to everyone around them. I see them all the time failing to put on required covers and driving around with loose gravel all over their vehicle waiting to fall off and do damage. I run all the time with a dash cam and if I ever get damage from one for whatever reason, I’m going to invoice them for the damages and dare them not to pay.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 08:16 PM   #11
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
[QUOTE=Og Neon;11382226]I thought Bank 2 sensor 1 would be passenger side, front O2 (the one before the primary cat). I could be wrong though.

And you would be correct.

To the OP, I would clear the code and see if it reoccurs before I tossed money at it.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 08:35 AM   #12
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
I would also recommend checking all of your exhaust connections starting at the exhaust manifolds.

Looks like some very hard hits and there could now be a leak at any of the connections. Check for bends and re-torque all of the bolts.

A simple exhaust leak could be what is causing the O2 code. Our cars are extremely sensitive to exhaust leaks.

BTW, you are very lucky. When I had a 2013 BMW 335XI (nice car), I was active on the Bimmer forums. A member there ran over a large piece of concrete just like you did. It caused so much damage to the underneath of the car, it was enough to total out the car.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 11:51 AM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I think you may have a leak upstream of the primary o2 sensor or at the bung. You are getting a delayed response on lean to rich. For example, going from cruise to accel the car will enrichen the mixture. The o2 sensor should see that enrichment immediately.

As far as debris off the truck, and flying debris in general, I have always been advised to say the debris hit my car before it ever hit the road. Once it hits the road, it is no longer flying debris.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 01:12 PM   #14
Jeauxy

[QUOTE=Warrior102;11382247]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Og Neon View Post
I thought Bank 2 sensor 1 would be passenger side, front O2 (the one before the primary cat). I could be wrong though.

And you would be correct.

To the OP, I would clear the code and see if it reoccurs before I tossed money at it.
Ahh, I thought Bank 2 was drivers side? And I thought about clearing the code as well to test this, but was waiting for these opinions. Will try that and see how that goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
I would also recommend checking all of your exhaust connections starting at the exhaust manifolds.

Looks like some very hard hits and there could now be a leak at any of the connections. Check for bends and re-torque all of the bolts.

A simple exhaust leak could be what is causing the O2 code. Our cars are extremely sensitive to exhaust leaks.

BTW, you are very lucky. When I had a 2013 BMW 335XI (nice car), I was active on the Bimmer forums. A member there ran over a large piece of concrete just like you did. It caused so much damage to the underneath of the car, it was enough to total out the car.
Oh damn! Sorry to hear that about the BMW. Guess I definitely got lucky from this. Car still runs fine, just an annoying code. Didn't see any bends in the initial check, but will be putting the car fully up on lift to check thouroughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
I think you may have a leak upstream of the primary o2 sensor or at the bung. You are getting a delayed response on lean to rich. For example, going from cruise to accel the car will enrichen the mixture. The o2 sensor should see that enrichment immediately.

As far as debris off the truck, and flying debris in general, I have always been advised to say the debris hit my car before it ever hit the road. Once it hits the road, it is no longer flying debris.
Was wondering this as well being a leak somewhere upstream from the first look underneath didn't see anything abnormal other than the scraps.

Good to know on the debris too. I'm going to contact the company hauling this crap in my neighborhood and see what comes of that.

I will also be investing in a dash cam 100% now...

Past:
- 01' Z28 (sold)