Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 03-16-2023, 11:03 AM   #1
db2022cs

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE
No lift shift not working 100%

So when I first got the car and after the 1500 mile break-in, I tested the NLS a few times and it worked pretty good. I tried it yesterday with it being a bit warmer and for some reason, the first two 1-2 NLS, second gear was locked out. The 3rd attempt was fine, and then the 2-3 was locked out. I didn't want to try it again and I just wanted to make sure I am doing it correct. The temps on the car were fine, It was driven for like 30 minutes before doing this. During normal driving, shifting feels fine in what I assume is a slightly notchy mechanical feeling is just the characteristics of the Tr6060. I'm in sport mode with competition traction, and I'm shifting at over 5500 rpm with accelerator to the floor. What could be locking out the next gear?
2018 Blue AWD Kia Stinger GT2 -Sold-
db2022cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 04:42 PM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
How do you have your hand positoned on the shift knob? If you grip it over the top like you are holding a cue ball - the shifter may miss the gate when you try to shift as fast as you can - which we all tend to do when using NLS. I have trained myself to make the 1-2 shift with my palm and fingers wrapped around the side of the knob and then pull the shifter straight down. Then on the 2-3 shift I rotate my hand with the palm on the back of the knob and my fingers laying loosely over the top. Then I shift by pushing the knob away from me in an up and slightly to the right motion. This method keeps me from missing the shifter gate (slot) for each gear. For me it feels like I am locked out of a gear if I have the wrong hand placement, but I don't think it's a lockout of the gear. Instead, I think it's missing the gate to the next gear.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:07 PM   #3
db2022cs

Drives: 2023 2SS 1LE
Weather was nice again today, I think my issue is I'm trying to shift too high in the RPM's. I thought the activation was higher for NLS but I guess it's 5000, so I was trying to shift past 6000. I did it again today where I waited until RPM's were past 6000 and I got locked out, then I did it again at maybe 5500 and it was fine. I'll have to try some more again to see if that was my issue.
2018 Blue AWD Kia Stinger GT2 -Sold-
db2022cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:33 PM   #4
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
How do you have your hand positoned on the shift knob? If you grip it over the top like you are holding a cue ball - the shifter may miss the gate when you try to shift as fast as you can - which we all tend to do when using NLS. I have trained myself to make the 1-2 shift with my palm and fingers wrapped around the side of the knob and then pull the shifter straight down. Then on the 2-3 shift I rotate my hand with the palm on the back of the knob and my fingers laying loosely over the top. Then I shift by pushing the knob away from me in an up and slightly to the right motion. This method keeps me from missing the shifter gate (slot) for each gear. For me it feels like I am locked out of a gear if I have the wrong hand placement, but I don't think it's a lockout of the gear. Instead, I think it's missing the gate to the next gear.
This is how I always shifted at the dragstrip on my M6 cars. Adopted the method after far too many passes with missed 1-2 shifts

OP, this is the best, most comprehensive information on NLS
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote