Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-21-2019, 08:17 AM   #43
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
To OPs original question, I don't see very many people jumping to Camaro from Corvette because of the C8. The Corvette just made a quantum leap ahead of the Camaro.

That being said are there people that believe a car must be front engine and RWD to be the best? Maybe, but it would only be a preference and for performance that preference would not result in choosing the better car.

Are there people that are so intent on using their left leg to drive a car that they would avoid a C8 and go to a Camaro because of the DCT? Maybe but again that preference would lead to worse performance. A DCT is a automatically shifted manual transmission. It's a manual that can shift faster than you or I can. If you haven't driven a modern DCT you cannot judge. If you have and your preference is the manual then that is awesome, you will just be picking the slower car. Yes, a manual provides "driver engagement". It just can't be shifted as fast.

And the unknown here is where GM is intending to take the Corvette. RHD is HUGE. Not just for volume, but it says GM is willing to go after the entire world with this car. Keeping in mind of course that with engine in the back this is a far cheaper commitment than it would be with a Camaro for example.

AWD? It was mentioned several times in the reviews of the CERV cars. I actually expected them to announce it.

Higher HP engines? Absolutely on their way. Hybrids? Rumor has it.

So as pointed out, you can get a mid engine "near" supercar for $60,000. But my guess is the Z51 needed to get the sub 3 second 0-60 (still mind boggling) Corvette you are probably at $65,000 (still a ZL1 price). But a Blackwing powered car? Easily $90,000 plus in not $100,000.

We should take a guess at what the highest price you COULD pay for a C8 2 years from now. My guess is you will be able to take the $60,000 car and nearly triple the price. 1,000 HP hybrids won t be cheap.

My guess is that GM doesn't have the money to chase higher and higher performing Camaros and continue to develop the C8. Maybe that led to the rumors of the Gen7 being delayed/shelved. But there is still room for a more practical performance coupe and maybe we can hope for that.

You see the Camaro in some regards is now even less practical than a mid engine super car.
Attached Images

Last edited by Number 3; 07-21-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #44
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Firebird View Post
I think GM will fix Camaro its price in future again. They don't just give Corvette a fair price, GM also gives a decent price in brand new CT5.

And. I don't think C8 Corvette is good for daily driving and having decent cargo as its mid-engine design.

Maybe, that is different case, but Ferrari has MR and FR both in their lineup. Ferrari doesn't kill 812 despite SF90.
I think the 6th gen Camaros are priced right , at any level they deliver top performance . People are just cheap ,they don't get the performance value .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:28 AM   #45
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
Trucks are a trend and nothing more than that. If it says anything about the American car buyer, and this is nothing new, it's that Americans want something B I G. The Gen 5 fit that bill and so does the Challenger.

Performance, efficiency, practicality? No, no and no.

Take the LT1 philosophy and put it in a Camaro with the same body dimensions as the Gen 5, raise the roof a couple inches and it might have a chance. I prefer the more compact size of the Gen 6 but it's obvious now that it's not what Americans want.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #46
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
i knew it wouldn't take long. as soon as i saw that back trunk i thought of Number 3 and his famous golf clubs.

And it only took an extra NINE inches over C6 to do it.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #47
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
I agree.. I personally would not buy the first year of any new design but GM has put in the hours on this one and they don’t want it to get a black eye.. time will tell.

You are correct, I was at a Corvette plant seminar and the majority of the Corvettes sold are Gand Sports and ZO6 models. I do think that base model will put it in reach of some of the Camaro owners. To be honest that really hasn’t changed from the past price structure . The base Corvette was already a mid $50,000 car but now it’s what you get for the money. It will be interesting to see how it effects the Camaro market.
There are always those people that are star struck by the Corvette and they will take a stripped C8 , and by no means would that be a mistake for them . You can't buy a well equipped Tahoe for that price ,they will bite into Camaro sales some but not to any large effect . I think when all the specs come out for the C8 people will really see just how good the 6th gen Camaros really are . We won't see what this C8 can really do until we see the Grand Sport and up , they will be supercars .
Old 07-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #48
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
GM are marketing kings. Spread a rumor of the demise of Camaro which I believe is true, and debut a new c8 3 weeks later. At my brothers Chevy dealer people who were in the process of buying a c7 have stopped and now want a c8. Almost everyone he has leased or sold a c7 in the last 3 years are calling about ordering options. There are going to be a lot of new c7's sitting on lots for a long time. $60.000 grand is remarkable for a american car that can now sit at the European Super-car Class table., and you got to remember 99% of c7's sold were base models. This is a home Run and I believe it will eat in to camaro sales, that's why its a good time to drop the line.

Also forgot all corvettes will have targa tops, so coup and open top all in one, Grand Slam.....

Last edited by Jeb114; 07-21-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 10:02 AM   #49
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb114 View Post
GM are marketing kings. Spread a rumor of the demise of Camaro which I believe is true, and debut a new c8 3 weeks later. At my brothers Chevy dealer people who were in the process of buying a c7 have stopped and now want a c8. Almost everyone he has leased or sold a c7 in the last 3 years are calling about ordering options. There are going to be a lot of new c7's sitting on lots for a long time. $60.000 grand is remarkable for a american car that can now sit at the European Super-car Class table., and you got to remember 99% of c7's sold were base models. This is a home Run and I believe it will eat in to camaro sales, that's why its a good time to drop the line.
99% of C7s sold were base models ? Where do you get your info?
Here are some numbers from 2018 in the link below
https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018...te-model-year/
Old 07-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #50
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
99% of C7s sold were base models ? Where do you get your info?
Here are some numbers from 2018 in the link below
https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018...te-model-year/
Yeah, I thought that 99% was a pretty silly exaggeration myself.

I like the link you provided.

Interesting to me, is how they sold just under 10,000..... but supposedly expect to sell 40,000 of the C8...... That seems like a pretty tall order.

I also found it amusing that your link showed the majority being base models with the 1LT package.
The nearest dealer to me has quit keeping many vette's around, and it probably has to do with how we stocked them about 3 years ago. He kept 5-9 on the lot, and the were always 3LT, and usually Z51. If you wanted a vette, he was ready to take 75 grand from you....... You couldnt find a stripped down version.
My guess is that hurt his sales, so now he quit stocking what wasn't moving.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #51
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I am seriously thinking about buying a C8, might wait to see what the Z06 offers in the couple of years first, love my SS, by I would take a Stingray in a hearbeat! Haivng said that, GM needs the Camaro to stick around for the 7 gen, even though the starting price of the C8mis said to be under $60k, most people like myself would like one loaded or pretty loaded, so that is probably $75 - $80k, Camaro 7th gen needs to still fill the huge gap below the C8. But, GM needs to do what they are doing with the C8 and market the crap out of the possible 7th gen when/if it arrives, I always thought GM was leaving huge slales numbers on the table with zero marketing of the 6th gen, dumb move. No marketing is not the only issue for the 6th gen, pricing and packaging could be much better, but marketing would help recognize this vehicle to outside us enthusiasts.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 11:12 AM   #52
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
Yeah, I thought that 99% was a pretty silly exaggeration myself.

I like the link you provided.

Interesting to me, is how they sold just under 10,000..... but supposedly expect to sell 40,000 of the C8...... That seems like a pretty tall order.

I also found it amusing that your link showed the majority being base models with the 1LT package.
The nearest dealer to me has quit keeping many vette's around, and it probably has to do with how we stocked them about 3 years ago. He kept 5-9 on the lot, and the were always 3LT, and usually Z51. If you wanted a vette, he was ready to take 75 grand from you....... You couldnt find a stripped down version.
My guess is that hurt his sales, so now he quit stocking what wasn't moving.
Did GM ever announce a projected sales volume for the C8? I think that is someone projecting A volume based on added hiring in BG and historic Corvette sales.

I don’t see GM ever announcing that any more than Camaro they would Camaro volumes, which we’ve debated here for a few years now. We don’t to this day know what planning volumes are for the Camaro.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #53
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
I had to stop by the my dealer's parts dept. on my way out I spoke with the sales mgr. he said 3 people already put down $1k to be on their buy list for the new C8. Asked me if I was gonna get one...I said nope, it's a beautiful car, but it's not a car for me.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #54

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Not sure what to make of it exactly, but I believe the reveal claimed the new vette had more driver room....not that I can find....

Headroom...C8 37.9, C7 37.9, Camaro 38.5

Leg room C8 42.8, C7 43, Camaro 43.9

Shoulder C8 54.4, C7 55, Camaro ???

Hip Room C8 52, C7 53.7, Camaro ????

Cargo/Trunk C8 12.6, C7 15.0, Camaro 9.1

Golf Club wise the Vette's win over Camaro....Driver room wise, I see the C8 as less than the C7, and both less than Camaro....I was hoping for more room in the new Vette.

Oh well....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #55
Gen6_1Le

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Not sure what to make of it exactly, but I believe the reveal claimed the new vette had more driver room....not that I can find....

Headroom...C8 37.9, C7 37.9, Camaro 38.5

Leg room C8 42.8, C7 43, Camaro 43.9

Shoulder C8 54.4, C7 55, Camaro ???

Hip Room C8 52, C7 53.7, Camaro ????

Cargo/Trunk C8 12.6, C7 15.0, Camaro 9.1

Golf Club wise the Vette's win over Camaro....Driver room wise, I see the C8 as less than the C7, and both less than Camaro....I was hoping for more room in the new Vette.

Oh well....
The passenger side looks like you will be sitting in a side car on a motorcycle so i would think driver gets most of the room .
Old 07-21-2019, 12:52 PM   #56
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I looked at the C7 in 2014 and bought a ZL1. I looked at the C7 again in 2016 and bought a 2SS. The Corvette was too snug for a daily driver. Money wasn’t the deciding factor.

the C7 felt a lot tighter in the hip then these dimensions suggest. I’m a 36” waist and felt pinned side to side. The passengers side was worse ...my wife said if I bought it, she wouldn’t ride in it.

Gen6 Camaro interior dimensions
Front head room 39 "
Front shoulder room 55 "
Front hip room 55 "
Front leg room 43.9 "
Luggage capacity 9.1 Cu.ft.
Standard seating 4
https://www.autoblog.com/buy/2019-Ch...r_Coupe/specs/

C8 INTERIOR DIMENSIONS
Headroom (in. / mm): 37.9 / 962
Legroom (in. / mm): 42.8 / 1086
Shoulder Room (in. / mm): 54.4 / 1381
Hip Room (in. / mm): 52.0 / 1321

C 7INTERIOR DIMENSIONS
Front Head Room : in 37.9
Front Leg Room : in 43
Front Shoulder Room : in 55.2
Front Hip Room : in 53.7

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote