Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #1
aw113sgte

Drives: none
Can a tune remove throttle lag?

First, the vitesse does not remove lag or any other device that messes with the TPS so let's not go into that subject.

I've heard a tune can do it, is there any truth to this? I've never had a Chevy product before so I'm not familiar with what's out there for reprogramming parameters in the factory ECU. It would be great if I could connect to the the ECU with my laptop and modify parameters as I saw fit. Or load a modified tune from a vendor. I'm not interested in changing fuel, timing or anything else...all I care about is removing the throttle lag.

This is on a 6spd SS is that makes a difference.
aw113sgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:51 AM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Short answer: Yes.

I had an IPF tune on my last Camaro...a 2010 V6 model. The response was very lively....dare I say more touchy than my 2016 SS is.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
It helped on the last Mustang I had. It didn't eliminate the lag completely but it definitely helped. the throttle response was never as good as on my 04 mustang though.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #4
BMR Suspension

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
It helped on the last Mustang I had. It didn't eliminate the lag completely but it definitely helped. the throttle response was never as good as on my 04 mustang though.
It's hard to compare a cable throttle to a drive-by-wire setup...

The DBW can be tuned to be more responsive. It depends on how aggressive you want to get with it. It is possible to make it too touchy and it will affect other aspects of the tune and driveabilty.
BMR Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
aw113sgte

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Suspension View Post

The DBW can be tuned to be more responsive. It depends on how aggressive you want to get with it. It is possible to make it too touchy and it will affect other aspects of the tune and driveabilty.
Is there a table of values specific to the delay? Can you give any details? Can I change this with an HP Tuner or other?
I've been on DBW motorcycles where you can change the delay, I totally agree there is a sweet spot, the camaro is just so delayed it really ruins the experience for me.
aw113sgte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
BMR Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw113sgte View Post
Is there a table of values specific to the delay? Can you give any details? Can I change this with an HP Tuner or other?
I've been on DBW motorcycles where you can change the delay, I totally agree there is a sweet spot, the camaro is just so delayed it really ruins the experience for me.
Honestly, I am not a tuner (or enough of a tuner that I can give you specific information). the last thing I would want to do is tell you something that is incorrect or could negatively affect the car. I know there are a bunch of very good tuners on here that can help. If you need help getting hooked up with someone, shoot me a PM and I will help you get in touch with someone.
BMR Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Suspension View Post

I missed my cable throttle so much lol. It was instant.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:39 PM   #8
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I used competition mode it gets rid of the lag.. as the engine is breaking in the lag is going away though
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #9
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
yes you can change it and yes it makes a world of difference.

Torque Management> Driver Demand > MAP A,B,C
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 PM   #10
solobaric

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Bump so EFI Tuning will make an appearance in this thread and tell us.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:57 AM   #11
crankaholic

Yes and no... the tour/sport modes have some "lag" built in. Even track mode isn't 1:1 pedal-throttle ratio. Fueling is not the only culprit here though. Traction and stability controls also cause a delay and/or give as much throttle as the chassis can handle (according to programming) up to what you "selected" with the pedal.

Just go into competition mode and the lag is nearly gone. Select track mode and double click the traction-control button; you should see competition mode displayed in the gauge cluster.

A tune will get rid of the fuel efficient fueling, giving you even better throttle response... but you'll still have to be in competition mode to bypass the traction and stability controls and get the best response.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #12
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
My SS has no lag at all. Why do some do and some not? All the same factory tune...right?
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #13
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
I got a ported throttle body on my 2012 SS and my throttle response was night and day compared to stock...

2012 Camaro SS IOM "TigreSS"
Borla "S" Catback
C.A.I. Intake
VMax Ported TB
JRE Tune
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:58 AM   #14
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
My SS has no lag at all. Why do some do and some not? All the same factory tune...right?
Have you had a chance to ride other Camaros to compare? I have, both my M6 and an A8, and the lag is in both, but much more noticeable in the manual. I hate it.