Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Phastek Performance

Old 05-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
Hyperlinkblue

Drives: 2017 1ss m6. Blue.....
Installed longtubes and no cats, no CEL??

Hi, i installed stainless works headers and mid section to the stock muffler. No cats, i installed all 4 o2 sensors, (pre and post cat) because i didnt have plugs to plug the rears. At first the car threw a cel, today it didnt throw one? How in the world is this possible. Theres no cats at all, im blown away.
Hyperlinkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:08 PM   #2
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
Mine did the same. After a few startups it will finally stay on. The guy that tuned mine said it has to throw the code 5 times or something like that before that stays on

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:37 PM   #3
Hyperlinkblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
Mine did the same. After a few startups it will finally stay on. The guy that tuned mine said it has to throw the code 5 times or something like that before that stays on
Yeah its weird, i drove it for the 2nd time today for 15 mins and it still did not come on at all, this would be the 3rd drive and probably 5th startup......
Old 05-06-2017, 11:50 PM   #4
ss_rob

Drives: SS
I have a set of catless kooks headers as well. Do you guys notice any difference in the way the car drives with the CEL? Is it in limp mode with reduced power? I'm kinda worried about installing before I tune it.
ss_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:20 AM   #5
Dubchitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_rob View Post
I have a set of catless kooks headers as well. Do you guys notice any difference in the way the car drives with the CEL? Is it in limp mode with reduced power? I'm kinda worried about installing before I tune it.
I would have No idea on that. Mine got kooks catless, pray ported im/TB, cai all at the same time. I did the install during winter storage and babied it to the tuner once spring hit. In my case it ran like shit if I didn't baby it with or without the light. But I don't think I went into limp mode. I was always able to do the speed limit

Doing just your catless headers should just yield a light until you tune the rear o2s out

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Old 05-07-2017, 05:38 AM   #6
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
The code is there and will eventually set the check engine light. The code will be for non-responsive rear cats for bank 1 and bank 2. Those code will need to be turned off in the tune. I don't think they will put the car in limp home mode as they are only there to make sure the cats are working, the front O2 sensors are what determine fueling needs and are before the cat. So as long as they are working with no codes the car should be fine.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:42 AM   #7
Hyperlinkblue

Well my car is not in limp mode but needs a tune, i have a roto fab, katech ported tb, stainless works longtubes with no cats, and i installed a e85 flex fuel sensor. Im droping the car offf at the tuner today for flex fuel tuning, they said they will have it for a day or two. But the car definitely needs a tune, the top end of power is terrible, probably not emough fuel.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
Dfelux

Drives: 2016 SS Hyper Blue
On my 5th gen it literally took months for the CEL to stay on. Would unplug the battery for 15-20 mins every year for an inspection and would stay off for several more months before it came on
Dfelux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:09 AM   #9
Dubchitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlinkblue View Post
Well my car is not in limp mode but needs a tune, i have a roto fab, katech ported tb, stainless works longtubes with no cats, and i installed a e85 flex fuel sensor. Im droping the car offf at the tuner today for flex fuel tuning, they said they will have it for a day or two. But the car definitely needs a tune, the top end of power is terrible, probably not emough fuel.
Sounds like how mine was. Mine was more mid range and up where it felt like not enough fuel. The shifter bounced like the trans was going to fall out of the car at 1/3 throttle or more it seemed.

Last edited by Dubchitts; 05-07-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
Joe's_cool_1le

Drives: Black 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Hi, i installed stainless works headers and mid section to the stock muffler. No cats, i installed all 4 o2 sensors, (pre and post cat) because i didnt have plugs to plug the rears. At first the car threw a cel, today it didnt throw one? How in the world is this possible. Theres no cats at all, im blown away.
How was your install on the headers? I'm about to pull that trigger myself but wondering how long and hard it would be for this weekend old warrior. I've got all the tools and space but no lift. Haha
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Joe's_cool_1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:21 PM   #11
Dubchitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's_cool_1le View Post
How was your install on the headers? I'm about to pull that trigger myself but wondering how long and hard it would be for this weekend old warrior. I've got all the tools and space but no lift. Haha
It's really not that hard. It's just time consuming if you haven't done it and on jack stands.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486200

I used this when I did kooks, but I can't imagine it's too much different for stainless works

Old 05-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #12
Joe's_cool_1le

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
It's really not that hard. It's just time consuming if you haven't done it and on jack stands.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486200

I used this when I did kooks, but I can't imagine it's too much different for stainless works
Great info dude. Very informative thread. Thanks!
2017 1LE SS Black - Mods - Forged - lowered compression - BTR custom Cam - Whipple, 3.500 upper and 8.0 lower pulley, Roto-Fab, 1 7/8 Kooks headers, off road pipes, & 3" Kooks full exhaust. LT4 fuel system, with Alky single nozzle running 100% meth. (not installed yet) DSX Tuning flex fuel and DSX tuning Aux pump
Old 05-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #13
Hyperlinkblue

Well the install went pretty good, i installed my hurst short throw at the same time because you have to remove the drive shaft and what not which means the the cat back has to be removed also. The stainless works comes with directions and the quality was great i highly recommend them and there customer service is the best i ever dealt with, hurst or performance driven brands there known as which includes multiple companies such as flowmaster, there customer service was a joke but i think it was the individual i was dealing with not the company itself but im not certain. I had a major issue and i waited over a week for warrenty parts and i offered to pay for overnight shipping...... and they still failed to get them to me ina timely manor. I can not stress enough how much customer service really means. The install on the headers was definitely harder than the 5th gen. I had to drop the front brace and a motor mount. You basically need two people to actually install and bolt the headers up, other than that its doable on jack stands. Alot of crawling around but for me the local speed shop wanted way to much to install em so that was not an option. Let alone the short throw, it would have been over a 1k bill for install.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #14
Joe's_cool_1le

More great info. Thanks.
Quote:
Well the install went pretty good, i installed my hurst short throw at the same time because you have to remove the drive shaft and what not which means the the cat back has to be removed also. The stainless works comes with directions and the quality was great i highly recommend them and there customer service is the best i ever dealt with, hurst or performance driven brands there known as which includes multiple companies such as flowmaster, there customer service was a joke but i think it was the individual i was dealing with not the company itself but im not certain. I had a major issue and i waited over a week for warrenty parts and i offered to pay for overnight shipping...... and they still failed to get them to me ina timely manor. I can not stress enough how much customer service really means. The install on the headers was definitely harder than the 5th gen. I had to drop the front brace and a motor mount. You basically need two people to actually install and bolt the headers up, other than that its doable on jack stands. Alot of crawling around but for me the local speed shop wanted way to much to install em so that was not an option. Let alone the short throw, it would have been over a 1k bill for install.