Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Phastek Performance

Old 08-04-2016, 03:57 PM   #15
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmx2 View Post
Just to clarify some points here Ethanol vs. Methanol

E85 is an abbreviation for an ethanol fuel blend of 85% denatured ethanol fuel and 15% gasoline. Hot Rod Had a great write up on it http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-...ernative-fuel/ but what I took away from it was a few cents cheaper per gallon, 20-25% less efficient than gas (Which is why people are talking about increasing fuel pressure and injectors), a little more complicated to tune, and almost identical performance (Slight increase in torque). From the article test mule:

"To simplify the test, a BigStuff3 engine-control unit with both pump gas and E85 calibrations handy was plugged into the EFI harness. On 100-octane gasoline, the combination made 509 lb-ft of torque at 5,200 rpm and 540 hp at 6,000 rpm. (W2W tests its pump-gas engines on 100-octane for safety’s sake, then performs its final validations with 93-octane pump fuel.) With no other changes except in the software calibrations, on E85 the engine made 524 lb-ft of torque and 546 hp. So the numbers were very similar for both fuels"

Methanol injection or water-meth injection will lower IATs up to 100 degrees instantly! Increasing performance and giving you the most from your vehicle. When injecting a 50/50 mix of water-methanol the effective octane of your fuel will increase 25 points! Turning 91 octane pump gas to 116 Race Gas Quality fuel. This is highly advantageous to supercharged applications where the compressed intake temperatures are typically higher and lowering them will increase the amount of air intake (more dense) and cool the burn making it more efficient and reducing the chance for knock.

Yeah when you compare 100 octane to e85 the numbers are comparable but where can you pump 100 octane? 91 vs e85 I went from 420 to 440 peak, picked up midrange gains, and moved my peak power 200 RPM earlier.

There was still plenty of fuel left in the tune. But it will require upgrades, probably around 480-500 whp, much sooner than on pump gas.

E85 is a good option if you plan on just sticking with intake exhaust. There are already some shops working on fuel solutions so I'm sure we'll see more FI cars running e85 over meth.

Also 91 locally is $2.90, as opposed to $1.99 for e85. It isn't just "a few cents".

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7

Last edited by Ian SS; 08-04-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #16
Notorious
No Hope

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
E-85 in the midwest is not consistent at all. best you can hope for is E -70.

People forget it constantly changes from spring to fall to winter, its just not consistent enough to warrant using it, at least here. To get around this and have the piece of mind i use Torco.

I pour a 32oz can of Torco in with 10 gallons of 91 pump to create about 100 octane. I order a case of it off ebay for the better deals with free shipping. yeah its not as cheap as E-85 but it is consistent unlike E-85 from the pump.
2016 Camaro 2SS - M6 | Hyper Blue Metallic | NPP | MRC | Sunroof | Navigation | Black Bow Ties | ACS Spoiler | Black Tail lights | ZL1 1LE 3rd Brake Light | Roto Fab CAI | Stainless Works Cat-Back | Black 1LE Wheels | Nitto NT555 G2's 285 Front 305 Rear
Notorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #17
PWPhoto

Drives: ‘21 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian@W View Post
Yeah when you compare 100 octane to e85 the numbers are comparable but where can you pump 100 octane? 91 vs e85 I went from 420 to 440 peak, picked up midrange gains, and moved my peak power 200 RPM earlier.

There was still plenty of fuel left in the tune. But it will require upgrades, probably around 480-500 whp, much sooner than on pump gas

E85 is a good option if you plan on just sticking with intake exhaust. There are already some shops working on fuel solutions so I'm sure we'll see more FI cars running e85 over meth

Also 91 locally is $2.90, as opposed to $1.99 for e85. It isn't just "a few cents".

There are, or were a few places near me that sold 100 octane unleaded fuel at convenience store stations. I live near a fairly big IHRA track so some of the stores close decided to take advantage of the street racers and track guys in the area. I also know that Rockingham Dragway also has both a 100 octane unleaded pump and a 115 leaded racing fuel pump just inside the gate. I would get about 5 gallons of the 100 every time i went there to run my 98 Z28. I would always arrive running on "fumes" so that I would not be diluting the fuel much with the 93 I normally ran. Everywhere that I have bought the 100 from was expensive. About 5.50 to 5.99 per gallon. But it was 100 octane unleaded which is very hard to find. My 98 loved the stuff and I ran my best times with it at Rockingham.
PWPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote