Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #15
All2Easy

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #997 Gone 2019 SS 1LE
I had a '87 Mustang GT in high school (graduated '89).

I am lucky to have lived through some of the stupid things I did in that car. It made 225 hp (advertised).
All2Easy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #16
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
No way I would let my teenage son drive my SS. You could easily end up short one son.

I owned a 2016 SS and now own a 2018 SS 1LE. While my 2016 was in the shop with the A8 issues they loaned me a 2017 RS with the V6. As you said, it's a nice car, but the V6 and V8 are worlds apart.

I told my wife after the first time going WOT with the V6 the engine was telling me "I'm trying, I'm trying." The V8 is saying "hold onto your a$$ cause here we go."

I've owned quite a few fast cars. The SS 1LE is the only one where I felt I might not be able to push it to the limit of what it can do.
To the respect of the V6 it's no slouch - its not an SS but it can get the job done pretty well for a car of its kind...but I agree with the underlined... My exact impression was

V6 - 'Wow, this car is amazingly quick and sounds nice'
V8 - 'Holy SH*T! Hold on to something!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigma View Post
Not really, as I have my own car and don't have room for another car. Also, I'm talking about the new LT1 model, not an SS, although not much different for the purposes we are talking about.

I could wait until he goes to college and then trade the V6, although he'd still need a car when he comes back. Hopefully they will still be making a Camaro in a couple years!
Thats a tough position but if you want an SS bad enough maybe you could trade your personal car for one since you dont have the room for three cars?

As for letting your son drive it? I'm going to be honest.

I got my license when I was 17 in a 275 HP Camaro Z28 (the 4th Gen LT1 engine) and my drivers instructor told me 'Please becareful, this car has alot of power' She was surprised how well and controlled I was with it, because I had ALOT of experience and time behind the wheel in it... HOWEVER... as I became more confident, I started doing dumber things that I look back at and wish I had kicked myself for. Have I wrecked? No, but if I had a car with 455 HP and the immature mind of a 17 - 18 y/o even with driving experience - I'd be dead right now...seriously. You say he is mature and I dont doubt that but if left all by himself, even with maturity - just one time he may go off on a whim - and the SS is not a very forgiving car. Infact I really dont recommend someone driving one without a considerable amount of experience with faster cars.

The SS can lose grip of the road without warning, even when driving normally. I've had this happen in my car more times than I can count and on a few occasions I've even had to shift into Nuetral to save it.

If its cold, or wet outside you have to drive it ALOT more cautiously than you do in the V6 or you may end up in a ditch.

The SS isn't as forgiving to your actions as the V6 is. It does EXACTLY what you tell it, and there is no going back and saying 'I didn't mean that - I meant this....'

Its literally like driving a race car without all the racket and rumble on the street.

Also, the LT1 model is basically an SS and is actually not as safe as the SS (rear Brakes, and Wheels are based on the V6, less radiators, ect)

It's a seriously powerful car and the only one that can actually still scare me of all the cars I've driven (LT1 Camaro, LS1 Camaro, 1LT V6 5th and 6th Gen)...

HOWEVER, with the right driver and right mindset you can make music with it, its just...not a car that you can fool around in.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:48 PM   #17
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
My 2015 ILe has caught me off guard a few times under moderate to hard acceleration even with heat in the tires. I don't drive it in the rain so I can only imagine how sketchy it would be then.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:07 PM   #18
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
No way, too young.
And another note, and this a a bit personal, If my kid ever asks for anything like that, he better be ready to work his AO for it, for a long time. Like many years.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:10 PM   #19
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
No way, too young.
And another note, and this a a bit personal, If my kid ever asks for anything like that, he better be ready to work his AO for it, for a long time. Like many years.
Agreed.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #20
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
Yeah, seems like generally a bad idea. The V6 is already plenty of car for him. The LT1 is more for me, but that doesn't make sense if it's a car that my son would drive most.

V6 benefits:
Safer due to lower torque and power
Handles well and fun to drive
Cheaper to buy
Cheaper to insure
Better MPG
Uses regular gas
Looks good
Sounds good with exhaust
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #21
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Not sure anyone if anyone touched on insuring an SS for a teenager, but I’m assuming the cost would be astronomical.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:51 PM   #22
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by All2Easy View Post
I had a '87 Mustang GT in high school (graduated '89).

I am lucky to have lived through some of the stupid things I did in that car. It made 225 hp (advertised).
I had the same car. Vert, red with black top and orange stripe. I thought it was the coolest car ever. Oh yeah and a drove it through every winter. I remember once going up an icy mountain grade sideways the whole way. There was a line of cars behind me. They were probably pissed.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #23
4824guy
18 RS V6 A8 NFG-NPP

Drives: 18' Camaro RS-NGM-V6 A8-NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
I would not put a 17 year old in an SS. I feel like it could get out from under me and this is my 4th Camaro.

That said, I had a 1981 Z28 when i was 16. It only had 175 HP, but I believe that car made me the man I am today HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I did own a 2016 RS. It was a great car! I wish i had just kept it as my daily driver and bought my SS to track.

+2 on that!.

A car with that much HP will probably put a young driver in the hospital or worse! Don't do it! I think it would be irresponsible.

Last edited by 4824guy; 08-19-2019 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling
4824guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:03 PM   #24
6sigma

Quote:
Not sure anyone if anyone touched on insuring an SS for a teenager, but I’m assuming the cost would be astronomical.
I got a quote for the LT1 model. It is about $60/month more than the RS V6. The V6 is about $140/month and the LT1 a little under $200/month. The V6 is not much more than any other car - teenage boys are expensive to insure. But yeah, certainly cheaper to insure the V6.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:06 PM   #25
Orangeman13

Drives: 2023 Black Camaro 2SS
No way.
Orangeman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:10 PM   #26
6sigma

Quote:
I had the same car. Vert, red with black top and orange stripe. I thought it was the coolest car ever. Oh yeah and a drove it through every winter. I remember once going up an icy mountain grade sideways the whole way. There was a line of cars behind me. They were probably pissed.
How did you guys score nearly new Mustang 5.0s in high school? I would have killed to have a car like that back then. There were a couple kids that had turbo Eclipses, Corrados, and a few older V8 Camaros but I don't remember any newer V8 cars. Some kids borrowed their dad's Corvette or something cool. I graduated in 90.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #27
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I graduated in 81. A 69 GTO Judge bought in 79 wasn’t that expensive and with a 400, Quadra jet, and 4 on the floor was a hoot.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #28
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigma View Post
How did you guys score nearly new Mustang 5.0s in high school? I would have killed to have a car like that back then. There were a couple kids that had turbo Eclipses, Corrados, and a few older V8 Camaros but I don't remember any newer V8 cars. Some kids borrowed their dad's Corvette or something cool. I graduated in 90.
My high school had rich kids and at least a few new 5.0s. My Mom's business took off in he early 90s, so she said she would help me out and pay the majority of the LX 5.0 I loved (it was $14,700 in '92). So my spoiled, ticket getting a$$ ended up with one, midnight blue, 5spd manual (I was nearing the end of college).
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote