Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-07-2022, 05:49 PM   #1
455bhp

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Wagon
Talking Porsche 718 Cayman GT4

Hi all!

I recently scored an hour in a 2020 Porsche 718 Cayman GT4. I got to take it on highway, city and mountain roads. I know many of you love sports cars, so I thought I'd share my impressions! (My full write-up with more pictures is here.)

* The seat and suspension comfort in the GT4 (with Porsche's base sports seats) was better than I expected out of a motorsports-oriented Porsche. Sure, it is no mag-ride Camaro SS, but I was comfortable on the highway and would road trip the GT4. I also found the chassis confident on back roads. The GT4 holds its line over severe bumps.
* Having experienced the 911 GT3 engine, I was disappointed with the Cayman GT4 engine. Yes, the GT4 is a revver, but it's not as reactive or torquey as the GT3; I felt like it was missing the special sauce. I think it might show better on a track.
* Shifting the GT4 6-speed is bliss. This is one of the best manuals I've ever used! Dare I say it's better than the Camaro 6-speed?
* But the GT4 6-speed's long gearing muffles some of the engine's punch. I like cars where the engine terrorizes the rear tires. (Hello Camaro SS!) The GT4 doesn't have the gearing or power to do that.
* The GT4 has incredibly informative steering, though it still talks with an EPAS accent. I still prefer the well-oiled slickness of a true hydraulic rack, but the GT4 EPAS is extraordinarily communicative and completely satisfying.

I had a great day playing with the GT4. Too bad they are so damn expensive!

Best,
Mike

Old 05-07-2022, 07:16 PM   #2
Geebs

Drives: BMW M340i & Model 3 Performance
It's funny, that's the exact car I put an order in before I decided on getting a ZL1. They're awesome cars and the sound really comes alive with a JCR exhaust. The previous gen GT4 sounded better stock because it didn't require that stupid Euro particulate filter that muffles the noise.

Sadly what I think most people don't realize about Porsche is that 90% of their cool cars are vaporware. I mean things like GT Caymans, GT 911s, Carera GT, 911 Speedster, etc. These cars exist to create cachet around the brand so they can sell a bazillion Macans and Cayennes. Most dealers won't even let you order a GT car if you haven't bought other cars with them first.

So despite being awesome cars, I found the whole process annoying. I'm very excited for my ZL1 that should arrive later this year.
Geebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:16 PM   #3
455bhp

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geebs View Post
It's funny, that's the exact car I put an order in before I decided on getting a ZL1. They're awesome cars and the sound really comes alive with a JCR exhaust. The previous gen GT4 sounded better stock because it didn't require that stupid Euro particulate filter that muffles the noise.

Sadly what I think most people don't realize about Porsche is that 90% of their cool cars are vaporware. I mean things like GT Caymans, GT 911s, Carera GT, 911 Speedster, etc. These cars exist to create cachet around the brand so they can sell a bazillion Macans and Cayennes. Most dealers won't even let you order a GT car if you haven't bought other cars with them first.

So despite being awesome cars, I found the whole process annoying. I'm very excited for my ZL1 that should arrive later this year.
Yeah, I find it rather annoying too that you'd need to buy several Porsches (or Ferraris) before you get to the models you really want. :P I'll probably never own a new GT Porsche as a result. (Used is still possible!)
Old 05-13-2022, 12:10 AM   #4
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geebs View Post

While Porsche's allocation process in a PITA, you DO NOT need to purchase lesser models to get the ones you want, at least not in the US. If you get told that, find a different dealer. They are not Ferrari bad.

You just have to be willing to wait and pay an ADM, especially on the GT3's

I placed an order for my 2022 GT4 in Dec. 2020, got the allocation in June 2021 and took delivery mid Dec. 2021 and I had never owned a Porsche before.

You comment might have some legitimacy to it for the GT3 and the new GT4 RS however, but those are both out of my price range.

I am in line for a C8 Z06 and while that process isn't as awful from an allocation POV, the wait times will be even longer than what I waited for my GT4

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:40 PM   #5
ZPirate

Drives: 2023 Summit White Camaro ZL1 M6
I recently read the article in Car and Driver about the new GT4 RS. That thing is a beast with almost 500 hp and a 9k redline. Basically it has the same motor as the GT3, but it's only available with the PDK. No manual option like the GT3 has. I'm sure it will be hard to find and expensive though. MSRP starts in the $160k range, without any Porsche options or any dealer mark us. Personally if given the choice I'd rather have the GT3.
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE M6 (delivered 2/19/22) (Sold)
2009 BMW 135i (Sold)
ZPirate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cayman, gt4, porsche