Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
topgun1

Drives: 10 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
New Pypes Exhaust dual electric cutouts installed- pics and video!

Added a couple new videos from both outside and inside the car. I had the Pypes Exhaust dual electric cutouts installed this week on my SS LS3. They are sweet!!! I heard a Camaro a couple weeks ago with it and had to have it. Had to do a little custom work with having the X-pipe with the Magnaflow, a suspension drop and limited clearance or potential bottom scraping issues in most locations, so we settled at the exhaust turnout just before the mufflers. Had to chop half the kit's Y-pipe and made them come straight out off the exhaust pipe turnouts before the mufflers. Got them as symmetrical as we could. Ran the wiring through the trunk, down along the drivers side and under the seat and I have the momentary switch at perfect reach just in front of the seat. Got the power and grounding through the power drivers seat. We ended up just slightly lower on the right cutout due to a clearance issue. You can't see them unless you're far back behind the car.

The sound is simply amazing and with the cam, sounds even better. it's pretty much going to be for shows and cruise ins, but had to try it on on the highway on the way home. So just driving from the shop to the gas station and home, I had the thumbs up, 2 conversations at the gas station, and one guy shaking his head, smiling and telling me "now that is badass" lol!

Our club has a dyno day next saturday and I'll see if I net any extra power gains running with it closed, then opened. I'll be sure to post the results.

The cutout system was installed by T&L Automotive in Clemmons, NC - the best performance mechanic around.

Attached Images

VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....

Last edited by topgun1; 04-23-2011 at 05:26 PM.
topgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
never seen them put there before.where is the video?
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
LS3SuperSport
HotRod

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 Black/IO Int.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post

+1
LS3SuperSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
1FAST SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Can't wait to hear those.

CAI Cold Air Induction, ADM Race Scoop, Apex Washer Bottle Kit, Vengeance Racing Kaotic Cam, DOD/VVT delete and LS3 conversion, American Racing LT Headers, American Racing Headers Off Road pipes, Borla S-Type Catback, FTI Billet Triple Disk 3600 rpm Torque Converter, DSS Aluminium Drive Shaft, AAC Plasma DRL's, Showstopper LED Sidemarkers,Carbon FIber Bow Ties, 35% Window Tint, Llyod's Floor Mats, JBL MS-8 Sound Processor, 2 Alpine PDX-1.600, Alpine PDX-4.100, JL Audio C5-650, JL Audio C5-650x, Alpine T10 Type R Shallow Mount, Stinger Dry Cell Battery
1FAST SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
topgun1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3SuperSport View Post
+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
hey guys, sorry, was editing it at the time when you responded. It should be embedded in front now.

thanks Mickey, sorry we'll miss you at the dyno day next saturday.
VMS Stage 2.5 Comp Cams kit, Cold Air Inductions intake, ADM race scoop, DT 1 3/4" headers, Solo cats, 3" Magnaflow catback, Pypes cutouts, HP tune, H&R SuperSport springs, Eibach sways/spacers, TexasSpeed UD pulley, LSR tensioner pulley, Barton shifter, skip shift eliminator, powder-coated calipers, R1 concept rotors, StopTech pads, Granatelli wires, Lloyds mats, tint, AAC afterburner taillamps, AAC scanner/sidemarkers, SRP pedals, custom engine cover, black bowties, Ridergraphix hood spears....

Last edited by topgun1; 04-22-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
RSKUSTOMZ
RSKUSTOMZ

Drives: 2010 Camaro T-top RS
Yeah Tommy will have mine next week too =) so can't wait til dyno day rolling up wide open literally lol.
RSKUSTOMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #7
topgun1

yeah buddy, you and Scott are next!
Old 04-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Are they suppose to go where the midpipes are! I have the DT headers also, and was wondering if the midpipes coud just be replaced with these!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
topgun1

I don't see why they could'nt! They are basically the same length. As long as you have the clearance for the Y-pipe, I'm pretty certain they could work. Check with the tech guys at Pypes. Usually get a quick response.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:55 AM   #10
gearhead440

Drives: Yellow 2SS, 6 speed manual
Looks good, Topgun1! I'm looking forward to hearing those in person and those should certainly awaken anyone near the dyno.

Hers & His
gearhead440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
topgun1

Thanks! LOL, this is true! hopefully everyone is awaken by 9 am anyway. I"m looking forward to seeing and hearing YOURS in person since the big mods. Try to head out to the dyno day this saturday if you can.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
topgun1

dyno results

Ok, here are the dyno results with the Pypes electric cutouts and although I was getting lower SAE corrected numbers than my previous dyno last November, I still netted around 12 rwhp and 4 rwtq gain with the Pypes cutouts opened vs. closed. It was warmer and more humid today so that had something to do with it. The a/f ratio was off after the cutouts were put on. I was in the upper 12's a/f before the install and we were hitting as high as 14.6, very lean. We added a few percent more fuel, helped a little but we're going to do some more diagnostics and tuning on it next weekend. The dyno sheet is below. Ignore the dyno file names. They are from the last time I was there when I added the UD pulley. updated-----> found out after a little investigation that the cause of the a/f readings being off was the hose that connects from the air intake for pcv. Had about a 3" long split in it on the underside and was barely on, so it was letting unfiltered and unmetered air into the engine and was the result of the car running alot leaner despite dumping 8% more fuel in. So a tune next weekend will fix 'er right up. Should have little or nothing to do with the cutouts.

Here are the numbers:

SAE Baseline (cutouts closed):

431.3 RWHP 417.4 RWTQ

SAE Cutouts opened:

443.5 RWHP 421.8 RWTQ SAE
454.1 RWHP 430.9 RWTQ UNCORRECTED (at today's atmospheric conditions at time of run)

Net gain: 12.2 RWHP and 4.4 RWHP

Here's the dyno video with the cutouts closed.

Here's wide open, big sound difference!
Attached Images

Last edited by topgun1; 05-01-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #13
9t8z28

Drives: 98 CAMARO
Sounds great!
9t8z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #14
OPP

Drives: 2018 MBM ZL1 Auto
Has anybody had a bad experience with these? Will they last on a daily driver?