Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #29
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by martelds View Post
It's funny, One of my biggest complaints about the Camaro is it comes in a 4 or 6. I know it helps GM sell more cars which is positive for everyone, but still. It's American Muscle not American petite. There is a reason you can only get a Corvette with a V8.

I agree. I'm glad they offer it in a 4 and 6 cyl so they can sell enough cars to justify keeping the Camaro around. Obviously for most people a 4 or 6 cyl is enough since that's what I mostly see on the road but for me it was V8 or nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #30
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
There is a huge bias on this forum slanted toward the V8, and that's normal, because it is an enthusiast forum But for me the V-6 is plenty. 335 hp is exactly what I had in my higher horsepower BMW 3 series , and I'm very happy with the power. It all the depends on your state of mind and life situation. On the Tech side, Its a fantastic engine.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #31
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
It's funny, One of my biggest complaints about the Camaro is it comes in a 4 or 6. I know it helps GM sell more cars which is positive for everyone, but still. It's American Muscle not American petite. There is a reason you can only get a Corvette with a V8.
The first Camaro ever made was a 6 cylinder. The car was designed to come with different engine choices. And the current 6 runs neck and neck with a C5 vette. Not sure I'd call that "petite".
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:01 PM   #32
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Evolve or go extinct.

The "only a v8 is real" mentality wont make any sense when everything new (assuming you'll still be able to buy and drive your own cars) will be electric. And pretending that electric wont spank the pants off the top performing V8's of today is just not going to jive with reality.

You may not be able to imagine how people will get as excited about driving their car as you do in a loud v8 muscle car...but that's just because you have a poor imagination. It'll sound different in the near future, it'll drive differently, and people will still have just as much fun - barring the alternate reality where everyone rents rides. The only constant is that it will get faster, more powerful. ..and safer.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #33
autocross

Drives: 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR 33 View Post
I too am disappointed in lack of support, but I think stuff keeps slowly coming out. Like changerofways said, there’s a lot of info in the v6 section, particularly in powertrain upgrades. Overkill is the only supercharger I know of.

One thing you may find restrictive is braking upgrades. Fronts are relatively easy to do cause they’re interchangeable with the other models, but I think there are no options for the rear since they aren’t interchangeable due to parking brake setup

And as far as everyone saying to get an SS, you wouldn’t be disappointed at all in a v6 one. I have a 600cc sportbike and all my riding buddies bug me about when I’m gonna step up with the big boys to a 1000, and all I think in my head is “I’ll still whoop your ass down a curvy road”
That’s what I always think! I know if I have that much power I’ll probably get arrested or something!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'ma former 6th Gen 1LT 3.6 V6 owner. Moved up to a 2SS and its a night and day difference, literally two different cars sharing on the name and body and thats where it ends.

There are several reasons the V6 lacks aftermarket support.
  • Out the box the 3.6 V6 doesn't leave alot of room for improvement outside of Forced Induction
  • Heads are maxed, no cams that I'm aware of, Ported Intake gains are possible but not very strong, Same goes for changing the intake and exhaust so basically its nickles small ponies here and there
  • If you go F.I. you can easily end up paying as much or more as it would to purchase a SS of similar model (1LT to 1SS or 2LT to 2SS) where the SS will always be more reliable and you will be the pioneer so to speak of a F.I. 3.6.
  • MOST people are not really buying the 3.6 to mod or perform with, with the exception of 1LE's, they're generally intended for quick and fun commuter cars and they serve that purpose very well.

From what I'm reading here, I wouldn't buy either. You may mod the I4 but you will never like the sound, and you want more from the V6 aftermarket which just isnt there..and I would in no way try to push that when there is plenty of aftermarket for an SS. Just save the money you intended on mods and get an SS. You won't be disappointed..trust me. While the I4 has respectable potential, I would never buy any brand new car to mod when there is an upgrade model that makes just as much power stock and more reliably.

Despite what the numbers say in terms of weight.. I've driven both. Both the I4 and V6 handle about the same. Its unlikely the Turbo I4 is going to make a great track car unless something can be done to reduce the turbo lag, generally in auto-crossing people prefer to stay NA.. 1LE V6 is still the best option IMO. Its weight isnt significantly higher, and its powerband is fairly predictable.

Now if you're going to mod the I4 then things can change a bit. Potential wise the I4 simply has more potential than the V6 mainly because its designed for boost... unless you supercharge the V6. But I personally would be happier with a 1LE V6 than a Turbo 1LE I4 and the reason is, I would have no desire to mod either platform. If I mod anything...it's going to be a V8.

Despite what everyone is saying, there is no serious weight savings between the I4 and V6.

2017 Camaro 1LS (I4 Turbo)
Base Curb Weight: 3,354 lbs
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...cpe-1ls-389570

2017 Camaro 1LT (V6)
Base Curb Weight: 3,435 lbs
https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/make...cations/lt-v6/

Stock for Stock the additional 60 horses offered by the V6 easily offsets the weight and the 1LE package will not make up for that even on the I4 as you will likely never get a opportunity to push the limits of either car around turns.

In short, the V6 will be more than enough. I wasnt even able to find the limits of it in the base model 1LT. If you REALLY want to mod though, I4 has the most potential. I just never purchased my 1LT to mod, I bought it stock and sold it stock. Its a great car out the box but I wouldnt buy either of them to mod. The SS will be a different story, but thats down the road.
Thanks for the in depth response. Bringing the curb weight into this really helped. I am not planning on modding any of the cars until the warranty has expired, so it isn’t exactly a plan for the immediate future. I was looking at tunes and it looks like the I4 is capeable of a lot more torque on a tune than the V6, would this prove to be an advantage? It sounds like the V6 is already running at its peak- I wonder if this is satisfying or a bummer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
There is some good information and bad information in this thread much respect to those that gave real options and valid expertise.

There is actually quite a bit of support for the v6 LGX you just do not have the 10 different options for each part. And there are people working on additional parts as well.

First and foremost the LGX engine is really good and has the capability in stock block form to handle some power. I am currently putting down about 550 to the crank 460 to the wheels and the engine is showing no signs of stress. We are stopping there until the forged rods and pistons come in. I have 50k miles on the car as well.

I will shortly address the pricing since its a topic but not one I will dwell or argue on as everyone's opinion is different. Purchased in march of 16 for 32k 2lt RS Best price I could get on a SS at the time with same trim options was around 45k maybe 42k if I really really hunted.. Today is a different story that gap has closed quite a bit.. But for me I have more power and still haven't reached that SS price that I would have paid then. That is all I will say on that because I didnt buy my V6 originally with modding in mind it became a passion and Hobby later on.

One of the things plaguing Me at the moment is drivetrain power loss its HUGE on the V6 vs the V8 so as you increase in power There is a significant loss. It actually kind of odd because the smaller transmission should require less line pressure and fluid flow. But hear nor there its one downside to the v6 especially if your looking to go huge power the 8l45 just hasnt been tested to its limits and we all know the torque converter is garbage.

So now lets talk about options..
N/A - You can do Intake, Throttlebody, Intake Manifold, Downpipes, Exhaust, E85 and Tune of course. This will get you over the 300whp mark easily. Not sure anyone has done the full list yet but my guess would be in the 315-330 range with a good tune and all these mods. These Cars LOVE E85.

A Good TCM tune will really wake up the car as well with throttle response and shifting. Jac-Fab on the 4cylinder forums has a amazing write up on tuning the TCM..

Forced Induction
Turbo's are a great option for these car however it would be a full custom job since there are not kits available.. However the monoblock engine ( Exhaust manifold built in ) Creates for the ability to mount the turbo's right to the block.

There is a single Turbo LGX build done by RPM Turbo in south florida on @jceasar_the_monster on Instagrams car

The Single best upgrade for your car would be hands down the Overkill Supercharger Kit http://www.v6superchargers.com Its a proven kit of reliability and quality and there are about 5 or 6 of us out there with it now. I have put 26k miles on my supercharger kit so far.

My Current performance mod list includes
Overkill Stage 2 supercharger kit - upgraded injectors with zl1 in tank fuel pump
12lb pulley
Single stage - dual nozzle - Alky 100% methanol injection
E85
3" Custom fabbed downpipes - 3" in and out Carven TR's mounted Directly below drive and passenger seat areas - 3" pipe into MBRP race series cat back exhaust ( Modified )

Mods coming soon - Forged Rod and Pistons, LSD rear with the Manual Gearing, More Boost, And a possible small shot of NOS... Once again there is going to be a point I reach the limits of the 8l45...

I also have alot of suspension upgrades but will not go into that here.

The options are out there .. And you can gain 50-60 HP N/A Pretty easily so do not be discouraged with the market its there and the parts that are available are good.

Oh yeah we also know that 5th gen downpipe flanges are the same as the 6th gen so the 5th gen downpipes will work with a little pipe bending to clear the steering rack.

I have had alot of fun with the V6 finding a good shop will probably be the hardest part unless you are in florida.

Also for tracking Polynesian Powerhouse is the V6 go to guy..
Thanks for your experience! I unfortunately don’t have access to E85 unless I imported it. I’m on hawaii, and that’s not real big here. It sounds like a lot of work to mod this engine because chevy has it pretty dialed from the factory. I currently have a toyota with a V6 that I supercharged. I started having problems after 120K miles with the heads/head gasket because the car wasn’t designed for boost. It was on a 6PSI pulley too. Could this happen to the chevy V6? Power gains seem much easier on the I4 if you’re in a lower ballpark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Trifecta's tune does both the ecu and tcm, btw.

I've done TB porting, lowering springs, intake, axle back exhaust, trifecta tuning, and even wrapping the exhaust.

Waiting to see what manifold porting / filling options do as that's not really available yet. And i have no interest in doing E85. Premium gas is fine.

Other than the jump to a supercharger - which has lots of additional costs since i'm not in a state like florida that lets you do whatever you want without inspections, I'm not sure what my next step would be that would make a difference. Cat removal is not an option, not just for legal reasons, but catless stinks almost as bad as the rotten egg smelling cats do.

I was thinking maybe weight savings... at the expense of the crash safetey features in the car. But I already have an issue with every body panel rattling from road noise and music now, that will only be magnified by weight reduction in the frame/body. Could go with light weight seats, but that's not really V6 specific.

There's just not much that makes the car better since it comes so good from the factory. At least in comparison to the 80's and 90's and the type of person who buys a mid-tier engine doesn't tend to take their motors apart to modify it. So i totally dont expect lots of activity around cams and such.

Wheels and rotors are another area for weight savings i'm sure...but I dont want to throw smaller ones on there so that's probably not an area where i'll be able to do much savings in.

Aluminum driveshaft might be something worth considering. Save you 5-7 lbs of rotating weight. Pretty sure nobody makes one for the v6 ..unless the SS is a swap-in (unlikely).

The other suspension parts are pretty lightweight and super stiff already, being composite in places and what not. so not sure how much you'll save around there with the usual suspects.

body panels are basically aluminum or plastic already in the places you would try to easily save weight.

It's not a car that has a lot of low hanging fruit for someone to mod on a budget. for sure.
I’ve been getting the impression that this car doesn’t have much room for extra power. I guess that sounds props to chevy for making a car that uses all its power. With the tunes squeezing so much more out of the I4, do you think a I4 with a tune is faster than a V6? I feel like torque would be better.
autocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #34
martelds
Go Arizona Cardinals

Drives: 2006 GMC Duramax 2500 HD, 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
The first Camaro ever made was a 6 cylinder. The car was designed to come with different engine choices. And the current 6 runs neck and neck with a C5 vette. Not sure I'd call that "petite".
I know. I'm just being a jerk about it. I said that with tongue and cheek.
2016 2SS Garnet Red 2SS,6 Speed, NPP, MRC, Adrenaline Red interior, Black Rally Stripes, NAV, Sunroof, Corvette Z51 Black Wheels, Black Front Fascia, aFe / PFADT Suspension Lowering Springs, Black High Rise Rear Spoiler. High flow headers, E85, Roto-Fab Cold Air, MSD Atomic AirForce Intake. aFe / PFADT Front & Rear Sway Bar. Pushing 520 to the Rear Wheels
martelds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #35
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocross View Post
I’ve been getting the impression that this car doesn’t have much room for extra power. I guess that sounds props to chevy for making a car that uses all its power. With the tunes squeezing so much more out of the I4, do you think a I4 with a tune is faster than a V6? I feel like torque would be better.
A tuned I4 beating a mostly stock V6.... very possible. But that ends up being basically the limit of the i4 without serious hardware changes. The V6 has much more headroom if you can afford forced induction or are willing to go with alternative fuels. So i guess the argument there becomes, what's the ceiling if you're paying equal money. The v6 will have a higher ceiling once you pass the cost of a tune.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #36
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6

Why can't we all just... Get along?
Old 04-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #37
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
lol no love aint a muscle car without muscle aka v8
Old 04-18-2018, 06:29 PM   #38
dotfiles
@SS_1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
The new Turbo 4 1LE would be the best for autocross from a weight perspective, however it is very likely that a V8 1LE would still beat it on pretty much any auto-x course and would destroy it on a road course. The V6 1LE is a great for autocross too if you don't mind not having the power of the V8. If you plan on trying to supercharge the V6, you're much better off getting the V8 as the weight difference really isn't that big.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:35 PM   #39
autocross

Drives: 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotfiles View Post
The new Turbo 4 1LE would be the best for autocross from a weight perspective, however it is very likely that a V8 1LE would still beat it on pretty much any auto-x course and would destroy it on a road course. The V6 1LE is a great for autocross too if you don't mind not having the power of the V8. If you plan on trying to supercharge the V6, you're much better off getting the V8 as the weight difference really isn't that big.
I’d absolutely love a V8 1LE, but I am a younger enthusiast. That is a little out of my reach. This does bring up a question though. How does the V8 cary it’s weight compared to the V6/I4? On paper it looks like a lot of weight, and I’d assume a V6/I4 1LE would easily outhandle a base SS? I could very well be wrong though
autocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 07:50 PM   #40
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
and there is a reason why corvettes cost more than even camaro SS models too.most people buying the v6 find that under 6 seconds from 0-60 and a claimed top speed(RS) of 155 mph is quite adequate for daily use without owning a tire store or a gas station.best thing you could do is try all the engines out and see which you like the best and can afford without resorting to a steady diet of ramen noodles.sure,id like to own a ZL-1 just to open the hood at car shows but thats the only time it would be an advantage to me.not hating on the V8 models but after feeding a very thirsty pontiac big block through $4.00 a gallon gas during the early 2000s im not in a hurry to own another V8.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:59 PM   #41
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotfiles View Post
Turbo 4 1LE and V6 1LE weigh almost the same. At best it will be 100lbs difference..at BEST. The V6 has 60 more Horses ...the weight difference is not going to be enough to make a game changer in this category in a stock vs stock run..the V6 still wins all things considered being stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocross View Post
I’d absolutely love a V8 1LE, but I am a younger enthusiast. That is a little out of my reach. This does bring up a question though. How does the V8 cary it’s weight compared to the V6/I4? On paper it looks like a lot of weight, and I’d assume a V6/I4 1LE would easily outhandle a base SS? I could very well be wrong though
They drive entirely different. The I4 and V6 are loose and easy to swing around, super forgiving and just love having their limits pushed. The SS is a monster for a stock car. It drives heavy, confident, and tame but at the same time if you awaken the beast and you don't know how to keep her tame she will leave you in a bad situation in a hurry. It handles excellent, but you still basically..don't want to get too overconfident with the massive amount of torque it has that just simply isnt present or encountered in the I4 / V6.

The V6/I4 1LE use the same stock suspension parts as a BASE SS (not a 1LE SS which is an upgrade on top of that.) so the only real advantage is weight.. so yes it will out handle it..but not easily... and the excess power in the SS will easily make up for the minor gap it loses in handling.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #42
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
I4 turbo's are putting out 300+hp to the wheel, and 330+tq to the wheel with downpipe, intake, and a tune. Less than 1500$. The weight distribution is almost a perfect 50/50. I tossed around buying the 3.6, doing a tune, all bolt ons, and 327 rear diff swap with the A8, but at the end of the day, I couldnt make I4 numbers without going FI. The I4 sounds like crap, although quiet from factory. Not much you can do about that. Engine design... Myself, I will quiet it down while keeping it free flowing when I get to that point. I would rather hear the turbo, tire and road noise's anyway.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote