Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
autocross

Drives: 4Runner
V6? Where’s the love?

Hey Guys,
First post here, so I’m ready for some heat if I missed anything in the forums. I’ve moved on from the mustang forums as I recently drove a camaro and totally changed perspectives. The mustang forums were kind of a joke anyways, so let’s get onto the title.

I am quite into autocross, if you didn’t already notice my username, and I recently was in a V6 Camaro. To me, the nose felt WAY lighter than the front of a base Camaro SS. Of course the V6 was on rental car tires, so I couldn’t really test the nimbleness. It also was quick!!! I have no idea how anyone could complain about that amount of power. In short, i was very very stoked.

So here’s the questions i’ve got for you guys...
I looked and looked and looked, but couldn’t find a supercharger for the new 3.6 V6. I feel as if a supercharged V6 would be the best of both worlds. Big power and small weight.

Is getting a loaded V6 with potentially the 1LE package a better way to steer than a totally stripped V8 model?

Where’s the best place for all the aftermarket parts? I found a huge aftermarket for the mustangs, but it has been harder for me to find aftermarket camaro parts - especially for the V6

Hopefully I posted this in the right spot. Looking forward to some replies!
autocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:34 PM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I would get the Turbo 4-1LE for Auto-X instead of the V-6....just sayin'....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #3
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I would get a stripped V8 before I got a loaded V6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #4
autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I would get the Turbo 4-1LE for Auto-X instead of the V-6....just sayin'....
I heard it was about 50 pounds lighter? You think it would handle a lot better with a 4 up there? I’m totally open to all engines, but if the difference is negligible between the 4 and 6 then I would much prefer the sound coming out of the 6.

Unlesssssss you did a little work to give it some sweet induction noise and that satisfying blowoff at every shift (not sure if it’s a BOV, BPV, or wastegate)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
I would get a stripped V8 before I got a loaded V6.

Could you explain why? The V8 sounds really awesome, but are there any other reasons? Larger aftermarket support? Better reliability? I can’t justify a car just by a super sweet sounding engine with too much power
Old 04-17-2018, 06:32 PM   #6
ChangerOfWays

Drives: 2017 2LT RS
When it comes to the V6, the options are much more limited in terms of aftermarket parts, compared to the V8 and the I4

There is currently only one supercharger kit available, from Overkill

There are several places to get ported throttle bodies - I got mine from Tony Mamo (absolutely love it, btw). Overkill also just recently added a ported intake manifold and 80mm throttle body to their site.

Otherwise, you're looking at the usual cold air intakes (I have an aFe) and exhaust systems. Even the exhaust options are limited though, with Borla being the only one (afaik) to offer quad tips and NPP support. It is said that MBRP will be offering a quad tip system as well, but no date on that. The LGX doesn't have a traditional exhaust manifold either, so headers aren't really possible.

For suspension/handling, BMR has a range of 6th gen parts from chassis braces, trailing/control arms, sway bars and so on. aFe also offers sway bars and springs, and several other brands have LT/V6 springs available.

As for sites, thatcamaropartsguy and phastek have always treated me very well.

I would suggest going over to the V6 subforum and reading through... there are lots of incredibly knowledgeable people over there
ChangerOfWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
I love my 2lt, and although I’m planning to upgrade soon I wouldn’t do it for a stripped down v8. I need more than just a bigger engine. Just sayin...
LuvMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:03 PM   #8
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocross View Post
Could you explain why? The V8 sounds really awesome, but are there any other reasons? Larger aftermarket support? Better reliability? I can’t justify a car just by a super sweet sounding engine with too much power

Torque! The whole allure of the Camaro is the V8.
There's no such thing as too much power.

srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #9
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
If you autox wait for the 4 banger 1le.

I’ve driven the V6 1le hard. It was a beautifully balanced car. The turbo 1le will be even better around those tight turns, but the V6 sounds much better in my opinion.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #10
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
This.

I tried hard to love my V6, but it had way too little low-end torque, and that is not fixable. The LGX is the best V6 I have ever had, and the car's handling was exceptional... but...

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #11
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
There is no love for the V6 if you want to go fast. Don't make that mistake, you can buy a 1ss A8 and be very happy instead of a loaded V6. If you want to buy a V6 then don't drive an SS.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:50 PM   #12
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
There is no love for the V6 if you want to go fast. Don't make that mistake, you can buy a 1ss A8 and be very happy instead of a loaded V6. If you want to buy a V6 then don't drive an SS.
You lose all credibility from recommending an auto. Be a man and shift your own gears. The V6 is a great car and handles like it is on rails.
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 12:00 AM   #13
autocross

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangerOfWays View Post
When it comes to the V6, the options are much more limited in terms of aftermarket parts, compared to the V8 and the I4

There is currently only one supercharger kit available, from Overkill

There are several places to get ported throttle bodies - I got mine from Tony Mamo (absolutely love it, btw). Overkill also just recently added a ported intake manifold and 80mm throttle body to their site.

Otherwise, you're looking at the usual cold air intakes (I have an aFe) and exhaust systems. Even the exhaust options are limited though, with Borla being the only one (afaik) to offer quad tips and NPP support. It is said that MBRP will be offering a quad tip system as well, but no date on that. The LGX doesn't have a traditional exhaust manifold either, so headers aren't really possible.

For suspension/handling, BMR has a range of 6th gen parts from chassis braces, trailing/control arms, sway bars and so on. aFe also offers sway bars and springs, and several other brands have LT/V6 springs available.

As for sites, thatcamaropartsguy and phastek have always treated me very well.

I would suggest going over to the V6 subforum and reading through... there are lots of incredibly knowledgeable people over there
Thank you for the very well written response. I will certainly head over to the V6 and I4 forums and take a look. Do you know why the support for the V6 is so minimal? I am really scratching my head between the I4 and the V6. The I4 has more aftermarket support but the V6 sounds incredible. I wonder if the handling differences would be noticeable as weight is so similar?

Quote:

My autocross course I compete on is very tight and technical. Anything over 350 torque would easily rip the back loose and ruin your time. Sticking large tires on the car isn’t an option because that essentially is like running around in heavy boots. It kills the nimbleness of the vehicle, and that chassy is very capable of being nimble. On a racetrack it would be the complete opposite, but I am not fortunate enough to have a racetrack within my reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
If you autox wait for the 4 banger 1le.

I’ve driven the V6 1le hard. It was a beautifully balanced car. The turbo 1le will be even better around those tight turns, but the V6 sounds much better in my opinion.
I agree with you about the V6 sound. The weight between the V6 and I4 are similar, no? How much better do you think the 4 would handle than the 6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
This.

I tried hard to love my V6, but it had way too little low-end torque, and that is not fixable. The LGX is the best V6 I have ever had, and the car's handling was exceptional... but...
Im okay trading off torque for handling. Shoot, I almost bought a BRZ. Thankful I didn’t because that’s been quite a ride for my buddy with car problems, but I see it more as a ‘tall person miata’ than a muscle car. I am just trying to find the most miata - like experience. That has led me to debate the V6 and the I4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynlo15 View Post
I’ve lived my whole life in the tuner crowd, so having small ones and big turbos is kind of the norm around here. It’s more of the whole weight reduction concept. V8’s are really heavy around a very tight autocross course, and daily driving I don’t think i’ll be using all that power very often.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:52 AM   #14
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by autocross View Post
Just like you can't buy a TV with too large a screen, you can't buy a Camaro with too much HP or torque.

I thought there were turbo kits for the V6. Don't have a V6 so I haven't looked for one but thought I remember them being mentioned on the forum.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote