Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-23-2018, 08:31 AM   #113
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by beflat10r View Post
The performance tires
I don't understand. The SS came with normal performance tires, not the F1 Supercar tires that shouldn't be driven below 40 degrees.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #114
autocross

Drives: 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcstc View Post
That's not true. Don't post false information. You don't even own an SS so how would you know?

Mine doesn't consume any oil during it's normal OCI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then that would mean car and driver is sharing false information. On their long term review, they stated it had inconsistent oil consumption. Sometimes it drank a lot, but the dealer said it was normal. Anyway, they were a little concerned about that.
autocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #115
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
V6? Where’s the love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocross View Post
Then that would mean car and driver is sharing false information. On their long term review, they stated it had inconsistent oil consumption. Sometimes it drank a lot, but the dealer said it was normal. Anyway, they were a little concerned about that.

Just because one car has a problem doesn't mean all of them do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #116
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by beflat10r View Post
I traded my 2015 2SS in for a new leftover 2017 2LT RS. I like it better in every way. It can also be driven when it's cold outside, unlike the 2SS. It uses regular gas unlike the 2SS. The 2LT has every available option which I enjoy more than the 65 horses I lost.
It's not much of a surprise you like your 2LT better. It has a lot better interior, it's got all the new gadgets, and it's a new car. It sounds like you're more of a show than go kind of person. That being said...

1.) Your 2SS could use regular fuel at any time - the motor was designed to run on premium but if you used regular fuel you just lost about 50hp. So, there was never a time you couldn't do this. To regain the 50 hp, run the tank empty as best you can, pull a fuse, fill with premium....done deal..

2.) Your 2SS could absolutely be driven out in the cold, without an issue. I drove my 1SS for 7 years....rain, snow, sleet, etc... The only time I didn't drive was when it was heavy snow, heavy ice...and that was just because going to work wasn't worth the hassle of traffic (I can work remotely). Even with my beater vehicle, I wasn't risking the issues..

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
SS and RS come with tires that dont perform well in the cold and are suseptible to cracking at temps below freezing.nothing wrong with any of the camaro engines in the cold,but im not sure why GM wouldnt go with all season tires at least on cars delivered up north.
This is incorrect. The 5th gen Camaros all come on tires that can be driven in the cold. Not only that, but you could drive them in the snow too. The 6th gen SS/ZL1 do come with summer only tires that shouldn't be driven on temps below 40 degrees from factory, but you can easily put other tires on the car that can be...

As for the RS, that only applies to the 1LE by default. They came with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires.

Otherwise, you had options of 18" and 20" all season tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
I don't understand. The SS came with normal performance tires, not the F1 Supercar tires that shouldn't be driven below 40 degrees.
6th gen cars did still come with "summer only" tires...and generally these are not great in freezing temps. They get hard and don't warm up well. However, they make A/S tires for these cars...and plenty of people do drive them that way all year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
This thread may really make me consider moving from my '11 SS to a Gen 6 RS. As much as I love the V8 sound, especially with my exhaust, the Gen 6 is just such a nice looking car.
The V6 is a great car to drive, and if you're one who is more about cruising than "racing" if you will, it's a fantastic vehicle to own. Good compromise of fuel economy and performance. I would still suggest the 1LE over a standard V6...but that's just me.

Still, I could never go to a V6 Camaro from a V8...not if I'm buying it. I understand that this is not an option for everyone. I also know the newer V6's will outperform a great many of the old V8's. I've just always had a V8 Camaro...so going back down to a V6 is not an option.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:06 AM   #117
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
I had a 2011 1SS M6 Camaro for roughly 7 years... I did 10 total oil changes on the car in that time....and I drove it hard. I routinely changed the oil when the car told me to, per GM's recommended information in the owner's manual. It was usually between 6800-7100 miles for every single oil change.

The only thing I did not do is spend a ton of time at the 1/4 mile track...
Old 04-23-2018, 12:01 PM   #118
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I'm uncertain of any oil consumption issues with any of the V8's. I know the 6th Gen SS takes 10 quarts of oil. I never had any oil consumption issues with my V6 though. I'm kind of doubting Im going to experience that with my SS as well.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:04 PM   #119
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
It's not much of a surprise you like your 2LT better. It has a lot better interior, it's got all the new gadgets, and it's a new car. It sounds like you're more of a show than go kind of person. That being said...

1.) Your 2SS could use regular fuel at any time - the motor was designed to run on premium but if you used regular fuel you just lost about 50hp. So, there was never a time you couldn't do this. To regain the 50 hp, run the tank empty as best you can, pull a fuse, fill with premium....done deal..

2.) Your 2SS could absolutely be driven out in the cold, without an issue. I drove my 1SS for 7 years....rain, snow, sleet, etc... The only time I didn't drive was when it was heavy snow, heavy ice...and that was just because going to work wasn't worth the hassle of traffic (I can work remotely). Even with my beater vehicle, I wasn't risking the issues..

This is incorrect. The 5th gen Camaros all come on tires that can be driven in the cold. Not only that, but you could drive them in the snow too. The 6th gen SS/ZL1 do come with summer only tires that shouldn't be driven on temps below 40 degrees from factory, but you can easily put other tires on the car that can be...

As for the RS, that only applies to the 1LE by default. They came with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires.

Otherwise, you had options of 18" and 20" all season tires.

6th gen cars did still come with "summer only" tires...and generally these are not great in freezing temps. They get hard and don't warm up well. However, they make A/S tires for these cars...and plenty of people do drive them that way all year.

The V6 is a great car to drive, and if you're one who is more about cruising than "racing" if you will, it's a fantastic vehicle to own. Good compromise of fuel economy and performance. I would still suggest the 1LE over a standard V6...but that's just me.

Still, I could never go to a V6 Camaro from a V8...not if I'm buying it. I understand that this is not an option for everyone. I also know the newer V6's will outperform a great many of the old V8's. I've just always had a V8 Camaro...so going back down to a V6 is not an option.

Man I was just like you I had my LS1 6 speed manual 2002 Camaro up until about 2 years ago.

I had that car for over 10 years it lived in my garage only Seen the Rain ones never seen the snow. It come out on weekends I drive it like it's hot and then put it away.

I had the SLP loudmouth 2 on that I'd fire it up and my neighbor 6 houses down would hate me.

Let me tell you brother the six gen V6 Camaro is just as good as that V8 all day long. If you're driving a manual you're keeping the RPMs up anyway I always did with my V8 I do with my V6 anybody who doesn't isn't driving it properly.

This thing is a little rocket easily comparable to the LS1. The only thing that is not comparable is the sound of the V8 with the loudmouth exhaust. But if you don't have an exhaust on your V8 and you just running the stock exhaust then the V6 6 gen with the NPP sounds better all day long.

As soon as you do with some exhaust work to a V8 though it will always win sound wise.I have a borla on the 5.3 L Sierra I own and she just sounds dirty every time I start her. You'll never beat that with a V6.

On the plus side I used to be able to run through a tank of gas in a blink of an eye when I took out that LS1 to have some fun it would suck it back like it was candy. With the 6th gen I run it hard all the time use it as a daily driver and the gas lasts forever.

So basically what I'm saying is I was like you I thought it was a V8 or bust but The Times They Are A-Changin unless if you're taking it to the track or you need that V8 to prove you're a man the V6 is more than enough
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:37 PM   #120
Yunglipid

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
They all say get the big V8 when it's your money. However, if they had to chip in with their money, you'd be driving a Chevy Spark or worse.

You're only losing about a second in performance with the V6. Unless you race at the track, it won't be a big deal. The V6 has the benefits of getting better MPG and having a lighter more balanced chassis for handling.

And, it's usually cheaper than the V8 which will save you some coin unless you load it up with options.

The V6 can certainly hold it's own on the street. You won't be the fastest car out there, but neither is the V8 SS.

100% well said
Yunglipid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #121
autocross

Drives: 4Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
Man I was just like you I had my LS1 6 speed manual 2002 Camaro up until about 2 years ago.

I had that car for over 10 years it lived in my garage only Seen the Rain ones never seen the snow. It come out on weekends I drive it like it's hot and then put it away.

I had the SLP loudmouth 2 on that I'd fire it up and my neighbor 6 houses down would hate me.

Let me tell you brother the six gen V6 Camaro is just as good as that V8 all day long. If you're driving a manual you're keeping the RPMs up anyway I always did with my V8 I do with my V6 anybody who doesn't isn't driving it properly.

This thing is a little rocket easily comparable to the LS1. The only thing that is not comparable is the sound of the V8 with the loudmouth exhaust. But if you don't have an exhaust on your V8 and you just running the stock exhaust then the V6 6 gen with the NPP sounds better all day long.

As soon as you do with some exhaust work to a V8 though it will always win sound wise.I have a borla on the 5.3 L Sierra I own and she just sounds dirty every time I start her. You'll never beat that with a V6.

On the plus side I used to be able to run through a tank of gas in a blink of an eye when I took out that LS1 to have some fun it would suck it back like it was candy. With the 6th gen I run it hard all the time use it as a daily driver and the gas lasts forever.

So basically what I'm saying is I was like you I thought it was a V8 or bust but The Times They Are A-Changin unless if you're taking it to the track or you need that V8 to prove you're a man the V6 is more than enough
I drive a manual, but I don’t keep the RPMs up. Maybe it’s because I don’t want to watch my MPGs go down haha!
autocross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #122
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post

He was referring to his 5th Gen SS
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #123
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
didnt 5th gen RS and SS come with 20" wheels and pirelli tires that were supposed to be bad to drive below freezing?according to the rumor mill they were likely to crack and rubber compound get harder under freezing temps.never experienced this as i live in florida but we had some damn cold days in march that made me wonder about it.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:45 PM   #124
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
I drive a manual, but I don’t keep the RPMs up. Maybe it’s because I don’t want to watch my MPGs go down haha!
With the A8 tranny you can rev it all day long and still come home making 23 -
26 MPG 100% all street. On the highway these things are unreal.. I've made over 42 MPG 100% highway but remember the A8 has displacement on demand so the M6 will get less fuel mileage in these Camaro's than the A8.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:34 AM   #125
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
With the A8 tranny you can rev it all day long and still come home making 23 -
26 MPG 100% all street. On the highway these things are unreal.. I've made over 42 MPG 100% highway but remember the A8 has displacement on demand so the M6 will get less fuel mileage in these Camaro's than the A8.
You're definitely right you got the better gas mileage with the displacement on demand and the 8-speed Auto.

However like I was saying you still get ridiculously good gas mileage and perhaps more Smiles per gallon when you get the manual
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #126
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post

No, we're definitely different. I've driven plenty of V6 cars, and aside from my Grand Prix GTP... I was never a big fan of them. Even with my GTP, it was more due to the 3800 motor than anything else. I've driven both the 5th gen and 6th gen V6 cars...they're okay if that's enough for you. It's never been enough for me.

I test drove a bunch of other "sports cars" if you will, and they simply weren't enough for my tastes. That doesn't make them bad cars, it just means they weren't a good choice for me.

And since I went from one V8 to a blown V8....well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
He was referring to his 5th Gen SS
If you read my whole post, you saw that I commented about the 5th gen too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
didnt 5th gen RS and SS come with 20" wheels and pirelli tires that were supposed to be bad to drive below freezing?according to the rumor mill they were likely to crack and rubber compound get harder under freezing temps.never experienced this as i live in florida but we had some damn cold days in march that made me wonder about it.
The Pirelli's weren't rated for snow, but not many 20" wheels were at that time really. Never saw any issues with cracking or damage, but the Pirelli's were crapola tires from day 1 anyways...I drove them through two winters just fine however, as long as I drove smart (V8 and wide tires are not great in snow EVER).