Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions


Bigwormgraphix


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2017, 12:22 AM   #15
Nor Cal ZL1

 
Nor Cal ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,827
Check the racks ground wire. The 5th gen had a few issues as well with this. It seems they either can loosen up, or the wire itself is too small of a gauge to carry the current, as reported by ADM.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:03 AM   #16
ban25
 
Drives: 2009 Nissan 370Z M6
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: SF, CA
Posts: 4
I assume this was at the SpeedSF event on the 20th? I was registered, but skipped due to the amount of rain that day. Hard to tell from the video, but if it happened right as you crested the top of the hill, that's pretty scary I'm sure.

I had a similar experience at ACS two years ago. It happened while braking from 140+ to turn off of the oval onto the road course. The issue was a bad wheel bearing that caused the wheel speed sensor to fail and then ABS. Very scary. Hope you figure it out!
ban25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:58 AM   #17
OminouSS

 
OminouSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Red Hot track candy
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorrocket View Post
Some of the old ones did the same thing, mine did. Almost plowed through a traffic light making a left turn because it died right in the middle of the turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Check the racks ground wire. The 5th gen had a few issues as well with this. It seems they either can loosen up, or the wire itself is too small of a gauge to carry the current, as reported by ADM.

Gentlemen, thank you. I didn't think to check the Cam5 boards. I will ask around over there. I'm probably more concerned now thinking this can be a grounding problem if I can't track it down. I know these things can sometimes come down to silicon and a 1mm wide copper circuit. Does it seem like a leap of faith sometimes just driving down the street in a straight line?

I can't get the car into the shop before my next event Saturday so I'm going at this on faith. If I can't hunt down a cure, then to the shop it will go. Boo
__________________
Baby born 11/08/16. Left birthing place 11/25/16. Arrived home 12/6/16: '17 Red Hot ZL1. Stock.

Last edited by OminouSS; 02-28-2017 at 12:31 PM.
OminouSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #18
Stefano
 
Stefano's Avatar
 
Drives: 6th Gen NicKey Camaro & others.
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Saint Charles, Illinois
Posts: 300
Definitely an oh-$hyte moment, glad to know that car & driver made it back to the pits OK.
Stefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #19
OminouSS

 
OminouSS's Avatar
 
Drives: Red Hot track candy
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by ban25 View Post
I assume this was at the SpeedSF event on the 20th? I was registered, but skipped due to the amount of rain that day. Hard to tell from the video, but if it happened right as you crested the top of the hill, that's pretty scary I'm sure.

I had a similar experience at ACS two years ago. It happened while braking from 140+ to turn off of the oval onto the road course. The issue was a bad wheel bearing that caused the wheel speed sensor to fail and then ABS. Very scary. Hope you figure it out!
It was NCRC on the 18th. The very weekend every hwy and county road in had closures from mud slides and downed trees. It was not a dream weekend. Slipperiest surface I've run on to date. 10 spin offs in turn 3 in first cup and open sessions alone plus random spin offs everywhere else. Managing ZL1 horsepower was a challenge. I was fortunate to keep all four on pavement. I switched to my MPSS's which likely helped but are just not great track tires. I also got a meatballed for sound at 96db, therefore I had to short shift 2 gears and run the hill in 5th gear coming out of 5. You want to talk about frustrating...work a couple passes only to watch them flip you off up a hill you can't lay into.

But yeah, this steering thing really freaked me out bad. It was just feet before the crest so I had no time to game-plan it before the car unweighted. It's like one second I'm being steered towards the wall and then a fraction later it's steering me the other direction and light as a feather. It wasn't drastic, but it was that floating sensation where you have very little steering input. It was just the exact wrong part of the track to have it malfunction. You know what I'm talking about... That spot it scary when things are going perfect.

I don't want the problem to be complicated but I have to be honest in that I will be disappointed if it is something they knew about in the Gen5. Seems like a safety issue...but I ain't gonna speculate. GM did right on this car. We'll get it ironed out.
__________________
Baby born 11/08/16. Left birthing place 11/25/16. Arrived home 12/6/16: '17 Red Hot ZL1. Stock.
OminouSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #20
396ssrat

 
Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 810
Electric Steering, Smart Phones, Drive by wire.........They call it progress. ARRRGGGGhhh
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:52 PM   #21
Gen_Nick3.8
 
Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LE (Sold)
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Miami,FL
Posts: 298
That's honestly very scary imagine going 130+ in a corner something like that happens. GM needs to take this very seriously
Gen_Nick3.8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #22
Nor Cal ZL1

 
Nor Cal ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Nor Cal
Posts: 1,827
Have a read through this thread.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417367
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:57 PM   #23
pkincy
 
pkincy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 ATS-V
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: S Cal
Posts: 153
Fly by wire is the future, but totally scary until it is all sorted out. At least with the elect steering you didn't lay down a ton of fluid for the guys behind you to spin in. However with Hydraulic steering you may spin when the fluid hits your rear tires but if you don't you still have steering. Been there and done that.
__________________
Perry
16 SharkGrey A8 Corvette Z06
18 Cadillac A8 ATS-V
93 Camaro 383 A4 (sold)
93 Camaro CMC Race Car (sold)
96 Camaro 1le Black Autox Car w/no AC (sold)
98 Camaro 1le now LS2 402 M6 Track Car (sold)
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:09 PM   #24
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701
 
KaBoom1701's Avatar
 
Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: I.E. SoCal (Yucaipa)
Posts: 8,460
Glad you kept your cool and ride it out safely.

I would do what No Cal says above and read though the ground wire issues the 5th Gen has. I've been lucky to not experience this in my car at the track.
__________________
Mods:
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #25
COmaro
 
Drives: Many
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Colorado
Posts: 200
That's scary.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say GM has equipped the ZL1 with a version of the "Digital Steering Assist" that they put on 2500HD trucks, and which have had tons of complaints.
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #26
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by OminouSS View Post
It was NCRC on the 18th. The very weekend every hwy and county road in had closures from mud slides and downed trees. It was not a dream weekend. Slipperiest surface I've run on to date. 10 spin offs in turn 3 in first cup and open sessions alone plus random spin offs everywhere else. Managing ZL1 horsepower was a challenge. I was fortunate to keep all four on pavement. I switched to my MPSS's which likely helped but are just not great track tires. I also got a meatballed for sound at 96db, therefore I had to short shift 2 gears and run the hill in 5th gear coming out of 5. You want to talk about frustrating...work a couple passes only to watch them flip you off up a hill you can't lay into.

But yeah, this steering thing really freaked me out bad. It was just feet before the crest so I had no time to game-plan it before the car unweighted. It's like one second I'm being steered towards the wall and then a fraction later it's steering me the other direction and light as a feather. It wasn't drastic, but it was that floating sensation where you have very little steering input. It was just the exact wrong part of the track to have it malfunction. You know what I'm talking about... That spot it scary when things are going perfect.

I don't want the problem to be complicated but I have to be honest in that I will be disappointed if it is something they knew about in the Gen5. Seems like a safety issue...but I ain't gonna speculate. GM did right on this car. We'll get it ironed out.
Hello OminouSS,

This certainly isn't what we hope to hear, as the security of our customers is of the utmost importance. While we understand you're seeking the advice of fellow forum members, we'd like the opportunity to look into this steering concern further for you.

If it'd be of interest, we'd be more than willing to contact your certified dealer to offer an additional layer of assistance. Please send us a private message including your VIN, full contact information, current mileage, and preferred dealership. To learn more about our privacy policy, you can visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

We look forward to your response,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
__________________
For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #27
mlee
--->
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Crush ZLE
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 33,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello OminouSS,

This certainly isn't what we hope to hear, as the security of our customers is of the utmost importance. While we understand you're seeking the advice of fellow forum members, we'd like the opportunity to look into this steering concern further for you.

If it'd be of interest, we'd be more than willing to contact your certified dealer to offer an additional layer of assistance. Please send us a private message including your VIN, full contact information, current mileage, and preferred dealership. To learn more about our privacy policy, you can visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

We look forward to your response,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks for checking in Angela, this is an important issue.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:11 PM   #28
Infern0
Bring It
 
Infern0's Avatar
 
Drives: In Between
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,928
What's the word so far?
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Tags
failure, rack & pinion, steering

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.