Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 08-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
RCF

Drives: '17 2SS, NGM, MRC, DPP; '19 F150
What's the "oldest" android phone that will work for AA?

I have been an Apple user for too long (work) but want to try an Android for the apps and maybe music with Android Auto.

Looking to pick up a decent older used phone just to keep hooked up in the car and use the car wifi.

Would something like this work? https://houston.craigslist.org/mob/d...204854758.html

Any recommendations? Anyone have one they'd sell for a decent price? Or trade for an iPhone 5s (at&t but was locked due to dispute with at&t)?
RCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCF View Post
I have been an Apple user for too long (work) but want to try an Android for the apps and maybe music with Android Auto.

Looking to pick up a decent older used phone just to keep hooked up in the car and use the car wifi.

Would something like this work? https://houston.craigslist.org/mob/d...204854758.html

Any recommendations? Anyone have one they'd sell for a decent price? Or trade for an iPhone 5s (at&t but was locked due to dispute with at&t)?
Any Android phone with 5.0 Android OS Lollipop or higher will work. In other words, not necessarily phone dependant. The one in the link, I would pass on it. Get a decent used Samsung and re-image. If you root your phone, or unlock bootloader you can re-image with later or latest Android OS for many recent Android based phones. As far as the Iphone J/K kind of - Best of luck!
Somewhatdamaged

Last edited by somewhatdamaged; 08-06-2017 at 03:28 PM.
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #3
RCF

Gotcha, figured it wasn't an easy answer... thanks!

You think a Samsung Galaxy 5 might work? Just looking for something under $100 since I'm not needing a new phone, camera, etc.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
somewhatdamaged

Quote:
Gotcha, figured it wasn't an easy answer... thanks!

You think a Samsung Galaxy 5 might work? Just looking for something under $100 since I'm not needing a new phone, camera, etc.
Should work, if you use XDA forums and look up that phone you can see what roms are available for it, update it to 5.0 Lollipop or just look online to see if that phone has updated to 5.0 stock version.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #5
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Only phones with factory firmware updates to 6.0.1 or later will be supported in Android Auto going forward. Android 4 & 5 have already reached end of support.

The oldest supported phone might be the Google Nexus 5 (original Nexus 5, not the 5X from a couple years ago).

If you're looking for a phone to leave in the car full time, I would suggest a Nexus 6 in the glovebox (doesn't fit in center console). Turn on the 20$ unlimited LTE plan for your car and hook up the Nexus 6 to the LTE hotspot. Turn off SSID broadcasting and put a strong password on the hotspot from the OnStar app.

Give the phone a new android account, get Google Voice, set up the Google Voice account on a service like ObiVoice to convert it to a SIP trunk. Then configure the phone dialer for SIP calling on WiFi under settings.

You can set up your primary phone GV number to also ring your other GV number on your "car phone", if you wish. Same with your texts from GV, then can be forwarded to both devices if you want.

I just wish I could swap the SIM in the LTE hotspot out for T-Mobile. AT&T is totally crap in Florida for speed. And T-Mobile users that grabbed 3rd lines free or even have 3-4 lines on their plan already can add the 4th or 5th for 20$ no tax.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #6
somewhatdamaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Only phones with factory firmware updates to 6.0.1 or later will be supported in Android Auto going forward. Android 4 & 5 have already reached end of support.

The oldest supported phone might be the Google Nexus 5 (original Nexus 5, not the 5X from a couple years ago).

If you're looking for a phone to leave in the car full time, I would suggest a Nexus 6 in the glovebox (doesn't fit in center console). Turn on the 20$ unlimited LTE plan for your car and hook up the Nexus 6 to the LTE hotspot. Turn off SSID broadcasting and put a strong password on the hotspot from the OnStar app.

Give the phone a new android account, get Google Voice, set up the Google Voice account on a service like ObiVoice to convert it to a SIP trunk. Then configure the phone dialer for SIP calling on WiFi under settings.

You can set up your primary phone GV number to also ring your other GV number on your "car phone", if you wish. Same with your texts from GV, then can be forwarded to both devices if you want.

I just wish I could swap the SIM in the LTE hotspot out for T-Mobile. AT&T is totally crap in Florida for speed. And T-Mobile users that grabbed 3rd lines free or even have 3-4 lines on their plan already can add the 4th or 5th for 20$ no tax.
Good info!
Yeah, been on 6.0 and after Android for awhile, didn't realize that was the minimum required now. You can unlock the bootloader or root to load 6.01 images if available, for some older phones. I'm on the Nexus 6P and using 8.0.0 already. Don't see why you would want to spend the 20 bucks a month on hotspot though if you already have unlimited data plan.

Last edited by somewhatdamaged; 08-09-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #7
RCF

Wow, my brain hurts... haha!

Thanks for the help guys. Electronics are NOT my thing (I'm a total idiot there honestly) - give me anything mechanical, and I'll figure it out, improve it, rebuild it, etc. I ditched the one electrical engineering class I had to take once I knew I had a C without showing up again.

On a side note, in my experience, AT&T is horrible (service and customer service).
Old 08-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
somewhatdamaged

Quote:
Wow, my brain hurts... haha!

Thanks for the help guys. Electronics are NOT my thing (I'm a total idiot there honestly) - give me anything mechanical, and I'll figure it out, improve it, rebuild it, etc. I ditched the one electrical engineering class I had to take once I knew I had a C without showing up again.

On a side note, in my experience, AT&T is horrible (service and customer service).
It's all good, i'm the opposite I suck at mechanical stuff, have a knack for computer/tech related stuff Oh yeah, I agree AT&T sucks azz I have T-Mobile and while it's not as good as Verizon, it has steadily improved in terms of coverage and reliability.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #9
RayJay75
Z/LS

Drives: 2017 MikaRay Z/LS
i got a lg k7 from metro and it works on android auto fine
Old 08-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #10
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
One other consideration...just because your Android phone has a compatible OS, doesn't mean it will perform well with Android Auto. The first Android I tried with AA was compatible, but a MISERABLE experience. It's processor was too under-powered. I traded up to a flagship phone (LG V20) and the difference is AMAZING! Very snappy...

SO. MUCH. BETTER.

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote