Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
Hero_Camaro

Drives: 2016 2.0T RS
Windows CE 6.0 in Mylink?

Hey Guys,

I know this might seem a little bit of a crazy idea some might even think that I'm crazy.But, bear with me...The Mylink system uses Windows CE as its main operating system which can be accessed through developer mode,is it possible for someone to install the 8inch screen mylink system into that? like replace the main files with that of an 8inch screen without the need of changing the entire screen and paying 800$ for a new one?

Has someone even thought of that?

I think its something worth looking at the windows CE OS especially when looking into customizations.For instance,changing the boring wallpaper in the 7 inch screen or even the Boot screen.This also applies to the 8 inch too

The Windows CE is like a root folder imagine the possibilities that can arise??

Hero_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:22 AM   #2
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
Sounds possible but think about this, its possible that the difference between the 7" and 8" screen is more than the screen size. Ram and processors could be different as well as the drive size. I ran into this before when I went to get Europe maps for my MB Sprinter. It had the US map module and I figured I just had to order the Europe module. Nope, even with the Europe module it wouldn't work as the radio itself had different internals, specifically a larger HD to facilitate running the larger Europe file. I would imagine this could be true of the differences between the 7" and 8" screens. Not saying it is but its possible.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #3
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I think to your point of being able to customize the MyLink interface via replacement of resource files within Windows CE, there's definitely some promise. I'm not saying it will be easy necessarily -- that's dependent on how much poking around people have done with it already. Some milestones need to be hit before you can even start this:

1) Somebody needs to figure out how to get access to the OS with a conventional mouse and keyboard. I doubt much can be done via the touchscreen alone besides maybe tapping some files for read-only purposes / diagnostics. Maybe there's some hardware interface behind the MyLink that can be used for this or else a way to access the filesystem remotely like over remote desktop / telnet / SSH.

2) Assuming some of the files can have privilege restrictions, somebody would have to find a way to log in as the admin /root user. This itself could be where things hit a roadblock.

3) Even with all of the above, there's no guarantee that the MyLink resources are just some image files you can drag and drop to replace. Windows apps tend to be kind of ugly in terms of their resource structure -- they could be using image files embedded inside of .DLLs and crap. Sometimes when you forcibly replace files inside a .DLL or binary via something like Resource Hacker, you can easily break it. Not fun if things go south and you break a program that is critical for running an interface that in turn controls you whole car...
Old 08-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Not all mylink's use windows ce. Some use QNX. I think ours is qnx.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #5
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
Damn, that would be awesome if you can figure out how to customize! Keep us informed.
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
_MerF_

Drives: 2017 1LT A8 (SIM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Not all mylink's use windows ce. Some use QNX. I think ours is qnx.
I was gonna say, I am pretty sure ours is a *nix flavor...I know my '15 Cruze was *nix, and my Camaro's has a very similar look/feel.

2017 1LT (A8): 30% tint - Tinted taillights - Blackened bowties - Muffler delete
_MerF_ is offline   Reply With Quote